Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2000 impreza 2.5rs
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not exactly sure if this is the right place to post this but I've been having trouble with a p0440 on my 2000 2.5rs and I need to get it CA smogged so I want to know what the conditions are for it to check for this code so that I can just avoid those conditions but still get the monitors cleared. The only thing I have been able to find is it only checks in between 1/4-3/4 of a tank but I don't even know if that's true or not.

· Registered
2000 impreza 2.5rs
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should provide more information about your car. Is the car modified? If it's stock it's likely a gas tank sensor or a clog/leak in the evap system.
Heavily modded I know that its a leak right behind my downpipe im asking for info on when the car checks for this code so I can just avoid those conditions so it'll smog

· Registered
243 Posts
Not sure on what the exact the code set criteria are but do you need evap monitor to set for smog because if gas tank level is one, evap montior usually sets between 1/4 & 3/4 full gas tank as well.

· Registered
4 Posts
Can confirm that evap CODES are checked between 3/4 and 1/4 of a tank. If you drive it about 50-100 miles while above the 3/4 tank threshold, it will clear all readiness monitors except for the evap monitor (assuming everything else is in working order) and won't throw the P0440 code.

Your car is MY2000 or newer, so the evap readiness monitor does not need to be marked as "Ready" to pass. Even better, bc of the AWD they can't dyno test your car.

I just passed in September like this, and my car still throws P0442 codes from time to time.

· Registered
2000 impreza 2.5rs
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can confirm that evap CODES are checked between 3/4 and 1/4 of a tank. If you drive it about 50-100 miles while above the 3/4 tank threshold, it will clear all readiness monitors except for the evap monitor (assuming everything else is in working order) and won't throw the P0440 code.

Your car is MY2000 or newer, so the evap readiness monitor does not need to be marked as "Ready" to pass. Even better, bc of the AWD they can't dyno test your car.

I just passed in September like this, and my car still throws P0442 codes from time to time.
Thanks so much for the info this should help a lot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts