Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've got drums and haven't seen or tried this before and you have a problem, remember this.

my 98 OBS has the rear drums and they've been squeaking lately, so I decided to check and see if I had a problem. I did, it was trying to get the drums OFF.

With the dust shield around it, the inability to wedge a SMALL screwdriver between the drum and the shield, and the apparent vacuum created, I couldn't move the d*** thing at all.

Finally remembered a thread somewhere where somebody said the two small holes on the face of the drum weren't for letting water out. I threaded a 5/16 bolt, about 3/4 of an inch long into each of the 2 holes, and that sucker just backed right off.

Now I'm going to put some anti-seize compound on the inside of the shield, and hopefully I won't have the same problem in a month or two when I go to change the rear shoes.

PS. don't know why they're squeaking, nothing wrong with the drums OR shoes.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most people in NJ don't use the emergency brake. We have this problem in winter time with the lines freezing, so we just don't use them.

I have NEVER used an emergency brake in NJ. I did in San Francisco, though!!

Thanks for the reminder, hopefully others will appreciate it too.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I'll tell you why they squeak. The shoes ride against small dimples in the backing plate inside. When they're cold or moist from rain, they're gonna squeal like crazy unless you use alot of pedal pressure.

I cured the squeal temporarily by using disc brake anti-squeal on the shoes where they rubbed the backing plate. It wore off after a few days and the noise is back.

Next time I'm in there, I'll glue a small slice of hard plastic to the plate, or put small sections of edge moulding on the shoes. Whatever it is has to stand up to heat though...and it can't be too thick cuz it locates the shoes center on the drums.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's been one of those rare times in NJ this spring that we haven't had rain ALL the time. just some of the time.

Haven't had any here for over a week and the temps have been in the 70's and 80's. They still squeak.

I've got the left drum off now for refinishing, I'll see if I can find the dimples and see what I can do to silence them.

Thanks, Ron

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
It's real easy to see the dimples...they have no more paint on them from the brake shoes rubbing against them.:biggest:

Adding anti-seize to the edge of the backing plate won't cure the problem of getting them off. It's just a dust seal.

Put the anti-seize on the hub center where the drum slips on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts