Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have borlas and an STi catback. Zero afterfire no matter what I do. Given it seems to be an innofensive and cool effect, any way to induce it? Or is it an idiotic idea?

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
MAF + Boost + atmospheric BOV + 3" exhaust + no cats

·
Registered
98 Red L 2.2L 5spd
343 Posts
so you want to make the exhaust go pop every time you shift? my guess is remove the cat and adjust the A/F and it'll pop pop pop all night long

·
Banned
4,588 Posts
If your NA you can get a catless exhaust and a walburrito 255 and tune your car to run 12:1 a/f ratio. This way you will maximize the most torque and hp on a NA engine. You will also get the afterfire that you want. Say goodbye to emissions!

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs BDP
2,079 Posts
do you have intake already? I put the cams in my car and i can't get it to stop afterfiring! haha

·
Registered
RWD 99 Impreza OBS
3,752 Posts
If your NA you can get a catless exhaust and a walburrito 255 and tune your car to run 12:1 a/f ratio. This way you will maximize the most torque and hp on a NA engine. You will also get the afterfire that you want. Say goodbye to emissions!

Would this considerably decrease gas mileage or not?? More torqu and HP sounds nice.

I dont have emmisions so it doesnt matter :D

·
Banned
4,588 Posts
I have not tried it but my friend who is a mechanic at our local Nissan dealership suggested it to me. Gas mileage would decrease since the car will be running rich. He said it would be perfect for my car since I only autocross it and haven't gone turbo yet.

You would probably need a SAFC to tune the fuel.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How do you tamper with the AF ratio? The only method I can think about (and it's as ghetto as it can be) is tweaking the IAT sensor so as to fool the ECU that the actual temperature is a few degrees colder than it actually is. Should have a controlable effect on the AF ratio...

·
Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
443 Posts
Trix said:
You would probably need a SAFC to tune the fuel.
That would be how to do it, but personally, I wouldn't, unless you have a good idea of what you're doing.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
APEXi's Super Air Fuel controller allows you to tune A/F ratios. they're not too expensive either.

Why do you want afterfire if i might ask?

·
Registered
2017 WRB BRZ w/PP
1,739 Posts
It's been my understanding that the Subie ECU's will "learn" around a SAFC. Is this correct?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I think they learned around the first generation SAFC but APEXi released a second generation didn't they? that's why they call it the SAFC2? And I also heard the 99's are fine, but after that they have the learn around. I think

·
Registered
2017 WRB BRZ w/PP
1,739 Posts
I don't think it matters what gen you use, it's still the same ECU which will learn around it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts