Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm waiting on my amended return refund, and I have the following right now:
Ganz w/ K&N - Probably going to replace with Cobb
Stromung Catback (Kartboy Hangers on order)
Kartboy Shortshifter w/ Momo Airleather
PROECM Chip
Mr Josh's Pulley
Kuhmo Ecsta 712s
Whiteline Rear Diff Lock Kit
Hawker 13 lb Battery
20mm FHI rear sway

I'm thinking about buying the following:
Cobb Spicy Cams or some other brand
Titanium Retainers
Upgraded Valve Springs
Cobb Clutch
Exedy 9 lb flywheel
Bored TB (rev-Lab)
Brullen Headers

And also, if I'm going to get it tuned and raise the redline to 7000, will I need to get rid of the PROECM? If so, and if anyones interested, PM me

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Good luck on your spendings. You must be getting back around $5000. With that money, I'd invest for an Sti. Any way, looks like you're going on a very good trip.

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, Im going to hold off on the STI until my driving skills are better, and I finish school. I'm a very good driver, but everyone has room for improvement

·
Registered
98 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl
396 Posts
just a heads up here, many guys have had CEL and misfire issues with a lightened pulley and flywheel. Usually reinstalling the oe pulley resolved the problem.

·
Registered
04 wrx wrb
158 Posts
They had a Misfire prob?.....how did that happen....the pulleys and flywheel have nothing to do with the timing....I could see that problem with cam gears but not the lightened pulleys......but who knows I have been wrong on things like that before.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
01 2.5 RS
110 Posts
Joe- Nice list of furure mods! I had the same set up except I had ported and polished cylinder heads and intake manifold. The car was easy to tune (except a small fuel issue due to a larger than stock fuel pump). It was tuned with a unichip, Im not sure exactly how the two compare, but the unichip worked great for it. I threw out a con rod bearing raising the redline to 7,000rpm, but you dont have to worry, it was due to old damage from nitrous, nothing you have to worry about happening (bad luck). Anyway, you sound like you are well on your way. There dosent seem to be anything else needed for that set up for now, it will be fun!

BTW: Im not sure you remember, but Im finally getting my new N/A engine put into my car (this thursday she's ready). Its tuned with the unichip still (we will see how tuning goes though). Just thought Id let you know. Good luck, and start ordering!
Dan:)

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, Im still waiting on my $$$ (The IRS Said it will take up to 12 weeks, so I have at most 5 weeks of waiting left) and I'm also starting an insurance agency this month, so I'm gonna have to wait for that cash for mods. But I hope it will be worth the wait. I think the Unichip will be fine for your mods. I might have to take a trip to Toronto some time just to ride in that beast if you dont spray it to death again :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
yup,,, I've seen posts where it was confirmed that when BOTH a lightened flywheel and lightened pulley is installed it caused problems due to insufficient inertia. When either part was replaced with something heavier the problem got resolved.
Might not be the case here but it's something else stow away in that noodle of your.

·
Registered
01 2.5 RS
110 Posts
Joe-:biggest: "spray it to death"...that was hilarious! No nitrous for quite a while, at least over 6 months, and the next kit will be tuned properly..and a wet kit!

I got a tax return last week...from my 1998 re-evaluation! Yes, 1998, that was a long time ago, I hope your check dosent take that long!

You going to vacation in montreal anytime soon:checkit:?
Dan

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope it dosent either.. It only took a week for me to receive my regular return, but my amended return is taking a hell of a long time.. Im sure I can swing a trip to Montreal sometime since alot of my wife's family lives in Canada.. You better put some miles on the car and get it broken in :)

·
Registered
01 2.5 RS
110 Posts
Joe-

I GOT THE ENGINE BACK!!!!
Should I make a new thread here, i already did at nasioc and wrxforum...Im so freakin excited, its so much fun.
Dan:D

·
Registered
396 Posts
Start a new thread!

Wow, what a buildup...wish I had the funds to do half that. You definately got to keep us updated.

Interesting that Lachute okeyed a lightened pulley and a <12lbs flywheel. Maybe it's ok on a built engine.

***For the rest of us...can you ask Lachute if they recommend that combo on a stock internals Subaru engine.

·
Registered
01 2.5 RS
110 Posts
Albert- Ok, this deserves a new thread I guess!

Ill ask lachute about the combo for us, but they diddnt seemed to worried about the combo at all on my car, ill ask ben exactly why not.

Ok, new thread time!
dan:)

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Albert - Dan isnt the first one to use a lightened flywheel and pulleys in conjunction with each other. Many people on Nasioc.com run that setup without problems. I plan on buying a 9lb flywheel, and I have Mr Josh's pulley right now. The only internal work that I'm going to have done is heads, spicy cams, valvesprings, and titanium retainers. Of course, I'm only aiming for a 7000 rpm redline versus Dans 8500 rpm redline :) I plan on doing this to see if I'm happy with a fairly modded N/A Subaru. If I am, and its a fast car at the strip, I'll put a Cobb motor in when this engine dies. If I'm not happy, I'll just buy a new shortblock and turbo it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Here's a exert from a fresh discussion on the other board. Grant it I didn't know the finer details in my earlier post this does reiterate what I "thought" I heard.

Here goes:

"The CEL is related to Subaru's complex misfire calculations. The ECU follows the harmonics created by the rotating assembly looking for peaks and valleys based upon load, rpm, and a number of other factors. When you remove weight on the flywheel or the crankshaft pulley, you alter the harmonic dampening provided by them as well as alter the resistance to angular velocity changes.

If this dampening or resistance is changed just enough, then the rotating assembly could produce harmonics that put it in a location not quite expected by the ECU. While it isn't a misfire, it is reported as such because the position has altered. Typically, a misfire or knock is what causes the position to be read differently.

I don't remember the exact details on it, but I recall that the aluminum flywheels can create harmonics within the RPM range and cause the CEL. The cromoly flywheels are less susceptible to this and would generally create harmoics well above our RPM range. My flywheel of choice is the JUN or Exedy 12.5lb cromoly flywheels.

-Jon"

edit:
“Light flywheel and CEL” http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=389136

1 - 16 of 16 Posts