Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

In the middle of Rear strut install... PLZ HELP!!!

3K views 46 replies 10 participants last post by  jrmdb3 
#1 ·
I'm installing kyb 4/8 way adjustable struts with Prodrive p1 springs. The fronts were pretty easy and went without a problem, but the rears just don't look right to me.

I got the oem strut out and took the parts reuseble from the old strut to the new like the lower rubber seat and the bump stop... but what I don't get is how the spring seat (the top metal one) is supposed to sit on the spring. I looked at station2station's write up on the install http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70898 but there are no pictures of the rear strut to see how it sits. The way I have it now is the way it looks like in the diagram he has but the self locking nut on the top of the strut doesn't thread all the way through. It maybe gets half way down before it stops screwing in. Is this normal?

Is the spring supposed to be seated fully on the rubber spring seat after installing the top hat and the metal spring seat?

The notch where you line up the spring to the strut, its not fully seated after I put it all together.

Can someone help me please? I'm in the middle of the install and don't want to install it wrong.

See less See more
#8 ·
i do have an impact gun... and i did tighten it as far as it would go...

what i figure... after taking the spring perch off and trying to install it like that.. the studs on the top hat dont fit in the car... the company sent me the wrong top hats im pretty sure...

is there a way to find out?

the part number it B0310FE013

the front ones were fine.

#12 ·
^An impact wrench does work but when I did mine the first time I had to use a vise grip with a thick rubber glove (so not to damage the rod) around the rod then hold it tightly while another person unscrewed the top bolt. Im sure there is an easier way to do it w/o an impact wrench but the easiest way by far is w/ an impact.

But to the OP those look like GD top hats.

#17 · (Edited)
BE VERY carefull how you use the vice-grips. You do not want to scratch the strut shaft.

If you are using an impact gun you do not need any grips. Once you are going to tighten the bolt, first screw the bolt by hand then hit it with the gun.

BEFORE you tghten the top hat bolts, lower the car on its wheels, then tighten the top hat bolts. Tighten all the way till snug, then a 30 degree more than that is all. You do not need to go hulk on them. :borgsmile

---------
edit
------------

Just wanted to show the difference of the spring installed. You will see that the coils are set different.

vs

this might help you out a bit too
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346

#20 ·
Kk, good. Was worried there for a second:p
Thanks for the help man. I'm going to get the air tool right now. Only things I'm worried about now is taking them apart, and putting the neccessary stuff on the AGX strut and spring! I'll have to look at that diagram on the DIY.
And I also didn't mark my camber bolt! Oh noes! Oh well, I'm getting an allignement shortly afterwards anyways.

#23 ·
Welll, I can not get the bolt off if my life depened on it. I don't have an air copmressor so the impact gun is out. I have vice grips but it still keeps spinning. I'm going to try and put the vice grip directly on the rod, because putting a towel in there reduces friction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.