Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1998 RSTi
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

In Stock - iWire GD and GR STi Intercooler Splitter for 1997-2001 Impreza Hoods!

Once you swap your GC, it’s critical to make sure the air is forced through the intercooler to maximize its effectiveness which translates to the engine making more power because of the colder air.

In our pursuit to build parts that bridge the gap between new and old, we have built an Intercooler Splitter with cutouts for optional water spray nozzles for 1997-2001 Impreza hoods. The splitter is designed to work with 2004-2007 USDM STi intercoolers and and 2008-20016 STi Intercoolers.

The base (1997-2001 Impreza hoods) will be standard and the gaskets (GD STi, GR STi) are interchangeable. So if you start with a GD STi intercooler and upgrade to a GR STi, you will only need to purchase one piece instead of the entire splitter which will save you money.

For those who are using this for a JDM V7-9 application, the USDM STi fitment is pretty good. The distance from front to back of the intercooler is a touch bigger but not enough to cause any issues. You can bend the front edge slightly to get more coverage.

You can see how easy the install is here

Colors available include stainless steel and black. Order yours today by clicking here!

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
577 Posts
Just got mine in the mail - hopefully I'll post pictures soon.

This thing is legit - it perfectly mated to my GR intercooler and fit just right. Everything lined up and it didn't require any adjusting. Knowing that I'm actually forcing air through my intercooler is well worth the price.

Once again a great product by a standup team of guys led by Brian. I will *absolutely* by other products from them again in the future, and will recommend them for all harness merges.

-TC

Edit: as promised. Mind the dirty car...

·
Registered
1998 RSTi
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

This thing is legit - it perfectly mated to my GR intercooler and fit just right. Everything lined up and it didn't require any adjusting. Knowing that I'm actually forcing air through my intercooler is well worth the price.

Once again a great product by a standup team of guys led by Brian. I will *absolutely* by other products from them again in the future, and will recommend them for all harness merges.

-TC
Thanks TC! So glad you are happy. We have a few things you will probably appreciate coming down the pipeline. :naughty:

·
Registered
1998 RSTi
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
any reviews on this?? WANT!!!!
Here are 2. People are just starting to install them, but we can assure you that you'll be very happy with it. :sunny:

-TC
Mine came yesterday. I haven't fully installed it, but I set it in place to snap some pictures. First impressions:

- Seems like it was built well. Fits right inside the intercooler and the holes for the shroud line up with my hood.

- It makes me realize how close my bov must have been to my hood as the shroud sits right over my turbosmart bov. Hopefully it won't rattle against it, but I'm sure I could modify it somehow if it does.

- The design in an inner piece stuck inside an outer piece. They are held together with 4 screw bolts in the corner. I am going to tack the pieces together in a few spots just to strengthen it some and to prevent any vibrations/rattle.

- I run the bakemono scoop so I bought this assuming I'd have to modify the center divider to be slightly taller. However it looks to be just about dead center with the height of my scoop. So I'm going to leave that is which is a plus.

I'll work on it getting it fully installed later this week. The underside of my bakemono scoop needs some fiberglass work and sanding to make it more oem like. So far I'm very happy with this. I think your next projects should be a plug and play abs delete kit, and a plug and play IC sprayer kit:)

- Charlie

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
577 Posts
My review is simple:

It's a piece that's designed to do as it says - use your stock RS hood and scoop to force air into your intercooler. If you aren't running a V5 or 6 inetcooler (which if you're OBDII compliant, you aren't) then this mates up the proper intercooler with the proper scoop.

Can I say that it drastically changed my intake temps? No. Intake temps are read by the MAF which is upstream of the intercooler. I have no hard data to prove anything one way or another.

Can I say it theoretically lowers my charge air? Absolutely. Similar to how a radiator works, you need to force air through the intercooler for it to cool. This does a much better job at funneling air through your intercooler fins, rather than allowing the low-resistance zone around it eat up potential airflow.

I'll also say that it mounted directly to my stock scoop and require no adjustments. It's a 5 minute install, max.

TL;DR - If I had a second swapped GC I'd buy it again.

-TC

·
Premium Member
'98 RSTI, '14 XV Hybrid
2,955 Posts
iwire,

Im running the bakemono wrx sized hoodscoop with a v7 sti tmic. Any idea how this would fit for that setup?

·
Registered
94&93 vr4, 94 rx7, 98 2.5rs
356 Posts
Just adding some more info after my first impression review...

I cleaned up the underside of my hood scoop and bolted the splitter on as-is yesterday. It didn't seem to rattle at all or muffle my bov any. I put about 120 miles on it with no issues. I can't comment on intercooler temps but I'd have to imagine they would be a few degrees cooler. Eventually I'll pull it off to add some tac welds for the hell of it, and paint it black. I will probably wait until after I have the IC sprayer stuff so I can do everything at once.

·
Registered
1998 RSTi
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My review is simple:

It's a piece that's designed to do as it says - use your stock RS hood and scoop to force air into your intercooler. If you aren't running a V5 or 6 inetcooler (which if you're OBDII compliant, you aren't) then this mates up the proper intercooler with the proper scoop.

Can I say that it drastically changed my intake temps? No. Intake temps are read by the MAF which is upstream of the intercooler. I have no hard data to prove anything one way or another.

Can I say it theoretically lowers my charge air? Absolutely. Similar to how a radiator works, you need to force air through the intercooler for it to cool. This does a much better job at funneling air through your intercooler fins, rather than allowing the low-resistance zone around it eat up potential airflow.

I'll also say that it mounted directly to my stock scoop and require no adjustments. It's a 5 minute install, max.

My only, very minor complaint would be that the section for the piece that changes between the GD and GR intercooler is a tiny bit floppy. I'll probably fix this by adding some spot welds. The idea is that you can change between GD and GR by just contacting iWire and ordering a replacement piece, which would result in cheaper changes if you decide to upgrade your top mount. I totally approve of this approach, so in no way would I consider this a detriment. It also allows for some movement when you close your hood, which will keep your intercooler fins from bending. Again, really a non-issue.

TL;DR - If I had a second swapped GC I'd buy it again.

-TC
Thanks for the in depth review! Doing analysis on how much the IC splitter affects the charge temps I'm sure has been done, but the acid test for me on whether it works or not is Subaru. If they bothered to spend money on it (much like the turbo heat shield) it probably makes a difference.

iwire,

Im running the bakemono wrx sized hoodscoop with a v7 sti tmic. Any idea how this would fit for that setup?
I don't think there would be any issue here since it's designed to bolt to the factory hood locations and you can slightly bend the bottom fin to get fantastic coverage on the V7 TMIC.

Just adding some more info after my first impression review...

I cleaned up the underside of my hood scoop and bolted the splitter on as-is yesterday. It didn't seem to rattle at all or muffle my bov any. I put about 120 miles on it with no issues. I can't comment on intercooler temps but I'd have to imagine they would be a few degrees cooler. Eventually I'll pull it off to add some tac welds for the hell of it, and paint it black. I will probably wait until after I have the IC sprayer stuff so I can do everything at once.
Glad you still like it and saw we what did after the splitter was installed because we had similar reservations on the initial build about the "floppyness." Once it was installed and the hood pulled everything together we found that it all but disappeared with no detectable rattles or noise.

You and TC will probably notice much different performance once we get out of summer and the ambient temps outside are a bit cooler. Just not a lot to do when it 's just plain hot!

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
577 Posts
Thanks for the in depth review! Doing analysis on how much the IC splitter affects the charge temps I'm sure has been done, but the acid test for me on whether it works or not is Subaru. If they bothered to spend money on it (much like the turbo heat shield) it probably makes a difference.

You and TC will probably notice much different performance once we get out of summer and the ambient temps outside are a bit cooler. Just not a lot to do when it 's just plain hot!
I agree on both fronts - no OEM is going to spend a ton of money on R&D for a part if there's no material benefit from it.

After talking to Bill he was really happy to see that I went with a GR intercooler, rather than some ebay knockoff. His testing has shown that OEM TMICs with their small fins are able to dissipate heat soak within 6 seconds of moving air through them. Based off his logic and anecdotal evidence, I'd wager pretty heavily that a GR intercooler and this shroud is the "wombo combo" for anyone looking to drop their charge temps while on a decent budget and choosing not to go FMIC.

Now if you guys can build a new passenger side mount that will allow the GR intercooler to clear the wastegate on a VF turbo, I'd be very, very stoked. I'd love to get rid of that gangster lean my TMIC has going on!

-TC

·
Registered
1998 RSTi
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree on both fronts - no OEM is going to spend a ton of money on R&D for a part if there's no material benefit from it.

After talking to Bill he was really happy to see that I went with a GR intercooler, rather than some ebay knockoff. His testing has shown that OEM TMICs with their small fins are able to dissipate heat soak within 6 seconds of moving air through them. Based off his logic and anecdotal evidence, I'd wager pretty heavily that a GR intercooler and this shroud is the "wombo combo" for anyone looking to drop their charge temps while on a decent budget and choosing not to go FMIC.

Now if you guys can build a new passenger side mount that will allow the GR intercooler to clear the wastegate on a VF turbo, I'd be very, very stoked. I'd love to get rid of that gangster lean my TMIC has going on!

-TC
I think Prodrive did some testing way back in the day and found similar results as well. I think the OEM TMIC has a nice blend of size that can cool efficiently but also can get air through it quickly once you start moving again.

Don't worry, the bracket is coming. ;)

·
Registered
1998 RSTi
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Could this work with a v5 sti intercooler on a GF8?? This seems really helpful
Unfortunately it does not since the GD and GR intercoolers are a bit larger. You could try putting a GD or GR STi intercooler on it, but I'm not sure it'll fit right.

However, Zerosports makes an intercooler splitter for your exact setup.

·
Registered
Y2K GM6 & 65 'Stang Fastback
816 Posts
Updated photos of our Black and Stainless Steel options have been added to our original post.
Just got the black one in last night. Man, did it turn out awesome. Looks great and fits perfect. Couldn't be happier. Thanks Brian. I'll try and get some pics up tonight.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts