Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Wagon
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been done before, the search results show this. However, I'm having a slightly harder time figuring this out:

Situation: 1997 Impreza L 2.2 auto swap to a 2.5 5M/T

Already have the manual swap under control and have the parts. It's out of a '98 Legacy GT that the engine is already spoken for.

I was originally going to rebuild the 2.2 that's currently in it, but I just got a really good lead on a 2.5 I believe. I know nothing about what it is, but I am going to hear more about it tomorrow night, and I want to know what to look for in this motor.

From what I understand, the 2.2 ECU and wiring harness will work on a 2.5. If I want to go 2.5 DOHC, is everything still going to work right? I want to make this car a solid little runner and be fun still.

I have tried searching for the information on this Phase I/Phase II thing, and the ports in the heads.. I'm struggling with what to think of this. How do I know what I have, and what would be on this motor that I should look into? Is there something that would cause me to have an issue if they're different?

I'm trying to figure this out but I am at a loss, so if you guys feel like helping me out getting this figured out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
1999 Impreza L
567 Posts
phase 2 didn't start until my99 i believe.

since its a ej25d, i would recommend replacing the head-gasket. to get the ej25d running, you would need to swap the ej22e intake manifold on to the ej25d, i'm not sure if you will need to swap the cam gears though. maybe someone can chime in on that or keep searching.

GL

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Wagon
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did read somewhere that I would have to use the crank gear from the 2.2, as well as the 2.2 cam gears I believe. The only thing I don't understand about that is that my 2.2 is a SOHC and the 2.5 is a DOHC, right? So would I just have to order two more 2.2 cam gears and use my existing 2 as well?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Bolt the engine in as is. Your existing ecu will run it just fine. All the phase 1 motors use the exact same triggers for timing.

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Wagon
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure if it's a phase 1 motor... but then again I'm not exactly sure what the difference is.

Can someone enlighten me, please?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts