Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to buy either an Impreza 2.5RS or Legacy 2.5GT, I'm thinking 1999 or 2000 and I'd be happy with a coupe or a sedan. I've done a little googling on these cars and read a couple of reviews and I don't seem to see much difference. From what I can tell the engine is about the same (exact same?) and they look relatively similar. I'm not very familiar with Subarus.

Could anyone educate me here? What are the differences I should know about? What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks a bunch,
Brian.

·
Registered
13 Impreza
1,334 Posts
what years are you looking at? you'll find that the legact is geared toward more of a luxury base, whereas the impreza is a little more sporty. but don't get me wrong... the LGT is pretty peppy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just sold a pickup for $6500, so I'm looking to spend $7000 at the most. From what I have seen so far that puts me in the 1998-2000 model range.

·
Registered
99 rs w/ EJ205
982 Posts
get an rs...much better looking, lighter, and much better looking

but i wouldnt mind having like a 97 legacy gt with the spoiler and all

·
Registered
2000 Imp 5 door Sport
6,269 Posts
i'll tell you why you should go IMP
try to find after market suspension suport for the mid to late 90's legs
its sucks just to let you know i wanted one but suspension parts are hard to find enless you want to buy 2-3k coilovers
i like the legacys alot don't get me wrong i wanted a 98 red GT sedan since i started liking cars but i have an IMP cause i couldn't find suport for the legacys
good luck and any subie is still a good call

ya motors are BASICLY the same intakes and some stuff like that was diff but i would say 90% the same

·
Premium Member
Donk It.
1,696 Posts
If both the legacy and impreza are of the same year...then like 95% of all the mechanical stuff will be EXACTLY the same.

The legacy is a slightly bigger car aimed at the family sedan market, while the impreza is a small more economy-oriented car (though the RS was a lame beginning attempt at selling a sporty version of it in the US).

RS = Faster.
Legacy = A touch more refined.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I do like the looks of the impreza better, but I do have a new baby with a car seat and I don't know if it will fit in the back of the coupe and apparently they didn't make an impreza sedan until 2000.

It sounds like they are pretty close to the same, though. So while I'm hoping I can find an impreza I will probably take whichever I can find first. I've been looking for a few days and I can't find anything even close to me (Utah).

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Good info: www.cars101.com

Legacy site (for objectivity's sake): www.legacygt.com

I cross-shopped the GT, too. It's really a very nice car, but my reason for going RS was that it had the same engine. Yet, the Legacy was considerably heavier, and didn't handle as well.

There certainly is a smaller market for parts, but hardly scarce. I prefer the looks of the LGTs over the RS, personally. You'll want to steer clear of 1997-98 GTs, since they had the phase-one DOHC engines that are notorious for blown headgaskets.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
beantmt said:
Thanks guys. I do like the looks of the impreza better, but I do have a new baby with a car seat and I don't know if it will fit in the back of the coupe and apparently they didn't make an impreza sedan until 2000.

It sounds like they are pretty close to the same, though. So while I'm hoping I can find an impreza I will probably take whichever I can find first. I've been looking for a few days and I can't find anything even close to me (Utah).

Just so you know, the Impreza sedan and coupe have the exact same interior volume, the only difference is the number of doors. So a sedan might be easier for you to get the kid in and out of the back seat, but a car seat that doesn't fit in a coupe won't fit in a sedan, either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts