Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know the USA rules regarding imports from foreign countries i.e. the UK

I have a heavily modded wrx sti5 that I've spent a fortune on - as such I dont want to sell this in the UK but export it to Cincinnati in the USA

I have been told that in the UK on their website that I would only be allowed to keep the car in the USA before it had to be crushed after 1 year.. - is this true - also are their really strict emission and exhaust decibel requirements?

Anyone know any good companies that do this in the USA and any idea of the cost

My car has a fair few mods, including internal modifications (Pistons, Conrods, fmic, etc, etc...)...

Ant help on this would be really useful - the car is a RHD which would be a pain - but not too much of a pain!

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
939 Posts
:drool: PICS?!?! I think it depends on what state you're going to move to. Some states are strict, some aren't. I think the only way to legally have it here is for off-road use only.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Race-only use is the general rule. Plus, you have to post a bond that is equal (or double? I forget) in value to the car.

It's a HUGE mess to try and make it street legal. Plus, as I recall, at ANY time, the authorities can come check on you to make sure it is not being driven on the street.

Not worth the effort unless you are filthy rich and have lots of money to burn.

·
Registered
250 Posts
As far as I know they will crush your car....

Only way around I see if it was for race only or if some how you could get it up to US safety specs and find a salvage RS VIN #'s...and of course if it was LHD that is

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm

Does not look very good then........

Posting a bond would not be a problem - I guess insurance would be a nightmare

If it was for race use only - then I guess I'd have to invest in a Trailor

Not sure of any decent tracks in Southern Ohio Northern Kentucky or Illinois (sp)

Not really interested in driving the car round an oval track - unless there are any special off road events - might be good then

I will post some piccies soon - I dont have a digital camera at the moment but am looking into this!!

What is an Imreza L

Perhaps I should keep it in storage over here in the UK and get an Imreza in the States - only problem was that I only ever saw the 218ps one which is very, very underpowered!! - Perphaps I should opt for the Evo 8 which is supposed to be either out or coming out over on your side - with about 280ps - still pretty poor, but better than 218ps

Is the quality of fuel adequate for uprated cars

Lets say I take a 218ps car - and uprate it - will this be legal in the States - I should be able to get it up to 450ps for about $20,000!

Omega Pistons
Conrods
(Crank if the one in the car is out of tolerance levels)
Compression ratio
Turbo change
3 port boost solenoid
Motech or other ecu to control ignition advance, boost and fuelling
Fuel pump
Fuel injectors
Fuel pressure regulator
Front mounted inter cooler
Air filter (inside wing)
Internally venting dump valve
Seriously uprated clutch
Other bits and pieces

Oh and some 6 pot brakes!!
and a few grand on suspension as they dont drive too well.......
18 inch alloys

Take it easy on standing starts to preserve the diffs and Gearbox - though I here the new style 6 speed Scooby gearboxes are much stronger

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot that I'd have to have an exhaust specially made as well
Do you have to have Cats in the States?

We do in the UK but if you know the right people you dont need to bother!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yeah i say likely race only. Besides with the steeering wheel on the wrong side it would be a pain to pass on the small roads.

As for a race track, one of the best road courses in America is Mid-Ohio Raceway. I went up there for this years Lemans and the SCCA Runoffs, nice track with good view. The track is just above Columbus by Lexington, OH. Also I think there are a few ralley races up north if you like to do it in the dirt. And of course you have dragracing and local autocross events. I'd love to see that car spanking some mustang butt in the 1/4 mile!

As for fuel there should be no problem. Best grade at the gas station is 93 octane which is right now about $1.45 per gallon. Higher grades can be attainable or you can add octane boost to your tank.

If it's going to used just for race you can pollute and have it as loud as you want. If you live and register your daily car in KY they can be the same. KY does not have yearly checks on autos so you can even no cats. Also if you smoke the tax on tobacco is less in KY. :p

If your car wasn't RHD I'd get a salvaged Impreza VIN #.

As for the Impreza L, it's a lower model of the RS that was produced. Very basic looks with a 2.2 or 1.8L engine.

·
Registered
150 Posts
there is a company importing skylines into the us out of california. they are right hand drive. i would give them a call.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Thats Motorex and that is because they crashed a few to get them approved. Nobody has done that for the WRXs so its not going to work. Just swap the parts over into a Impreza L and your done.

·
Registered
92 Legacy Turbo
44 Posts
www.importcarparts.co.uk

I have spoken to these chaps and they will ship a car over from England to the US. They said that you will have to have all your ducks in a row as far as legality but they will ship for you.

Hope this helps,
Stu

·
Registered
646 Posts
If its not listed by the DOT as a legal import then its never going to legally be driven on a US road. Also not worth the potential costs if caught driving it on a public road illegally. A import company will ship anything you want them to cause their part of the deal is only to get it to the US. Its your problem that its not a legal import and the DOT and Customs has it crushed.

·
Registered
2006 BP5 Satin White
93 Posts
Interesting subject since I looked into this when considering a RHD conversion on my car. To make a long story short, I will not be making that RHD conversion as I'd like to keep driving the car. Too much hassle and you can only keep the car here if visiting for less than a year, then you have to ship it back. There must be crash test on the particular car you want to bring here and RHD Imprezas were never sold here. Legacy/Liberty is a different issue as the RHD was used on postal models from 1990-1999. There's also some rules that apply to servicemen who buy cars and own them overseas for a certain period, I'm not clear on those rules though. Ship it in pieces and either mod a US-spec model or sell us all your parts. :biggest:

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all

Posted a PM - what does that mean??

Looks like I wont be bothering.. although I'll have a read of the related threads...

I've never come across a country with so much bureaucracy...

I cant even have my girlfriend over in the country unless I go through the long process of getting a Visa to state that I can fully support her in the USA - even with this States imigration can stop her from coming in if they want to..

Only way it to get married.

I also need to get a detailed letter from my employer stating that there is no-one else in the States that can do the job I'm coming over to do - I mean how farcical is that... not wanting to take jobs away but seems taking it a bit far - not much for free movement of global labor....

Will get a digi camera soon and post some piccies and give some power figures, once the latest work on the car is complete...

·
Premium Member
2000 Subaru Impreza RS coupe -
2,362 Posts
On the little drop down box at the bottom of the page on the left side, click the arrow to make it drop down, then scroll all the way up to the top and click Private Messages.

Good luck with everything!

·
Registered
05 STi White + 99 RS White
1,828 Posts
with the impreza being a car model that is perfectly legal in the US, it should be easier than something that doesn't exist like a skyline. you could get a salvage impreza l (base model) FWD, and then you do the math.;) bam V5 perfectly legal...:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts