Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
1998,2.5rs,RED
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen ons of videos comparing the two cars and every video gives one the advantage in some way! does anyone have a video or information that would help me show and explain why Subaru's are the best.

· Registered
Non-RS
2,557 Posts
SCC did a comparison as well. At least I'm pretty sure it's SCC..we get like 10 magazines at my house. Either way, I'm going to go ahead and put my flame suit on, but I would probably buy the Evo over the STi.

· Registered
2003 Outback Sedan H6
2,386 Posts
EVO makes more power per dollar; the 4G63 is just a much stronger and more efficient engine (especially with exhaust manifolds on Subarus being a maze of piping; the boxer design isn't as efficient as the 4G63). Hell, EVO's can run 11's on the stock turbo!

If I were buying a new car and had the choice between the two I would go with an EVO IX MR over an STI. I actually hate the newer Imprezas (besides a JDM'ed bugeye) as far as looks are concerned. But GC8 FTW.

· Registered
98 RBP Coupe, '94 White Wagon
308 Posts
It really comes down to how you are comparing them and what you are taking into consideration. Yes, the Evo beats the STi in most catagories including lap times. If all you care about is being the fastest kid off the dealer's lot, buy the Evo. If you plan on owning the car for more than a couple of years the STi is the way to go. Suabru's have a history of lasting forever with even moderate upkeep. Mitsu's have a history of falling apart after a few years. So it really all comes down to what you are looking for in a new vehicle and how long you plan on owning it.

· Registered
98 rswrx
27 Posts
its all personal preferance really, its like Jeremy Clarkson said, the evo is like a fighter jet, the sti is like a bomber. haha i mean the evo as stated will potentially yeild more hp, being a more effiecient engine design, iron block and so forth. its all preferance, i prefer the looks of the sti over the evo being that a i used to own a 06. i dont care how great the evo is, being a technician in the automotive industry, i mean all cars have problems but why do you think mitsubishi offers a 100k warranty and subaru doesnt? its because mitsubishi sells a garbage product and has to give a 100k warranty so people will buy their cars.

· Registered
57 Posts
its all personal preferance really, its like Jeremy Clarkson said, the evo is like a fighter jet, the sti is like a bomber. haha i mean the evo as stated will potentially yeild more hp, being a more effiecient engine design, iron block and so forth. its all preferance, i prefer the looks of the sti over the evo being that a i used to own a 06. i dont care how great the evo is, being a technician in the automotive industry, i mean all cars have problems but why do you think mitsubishi offers a 100k warranty and subaru doesnt? its because mitsubishi sells a garbage product and has to give a 100k warranty so people will buy their cars.
word; ive worked on endless cars at my dealership, and that is so true....every car has its flaws-bottom line.....yet when something does go bad, everyone is quick to point a finger and slam the car....I agree though, my dealer sells kias....and they have the 10/100k also, I see more coming back than going out.......honestly, half the time its because the customer beats it, or neglects regular maintenace; and fucks themselves in the long run.....they don't have maintenace schedules for the hell of it, its there for a reason....sometimes you get lucky and the car you bought NEVER has issues;
sometimes the opposite, every car has a mind of its own

· Premium Member
06 Lexus Rx400h
2,071 Posts
dont forget price... while they are both around the same sticker.. its far cheaper to upgrade an evo and you have far far more options with them.. as far as mitsu, being shitty motors.. yeah from what i've read the newer ones just dont hold like that. but the first gen's are sick and mine still runs to this day.. well its not mine anymore i sold it to my friend when i joined the military.. but he just keeps it in a garage and drags it for fun..

· Registered
2011 A4
2,520 Posts
id buy a new evo over the new STI ive driven the WRX the STI the MR Evo and the GSR EVO..and id buy the MR over them all.....not to mention turbochargers.com visited our shop with their Evo which we are working on with them that is making a crazy amount of HP

· Registered
2017 WRB BRZ w/PP
2,001 Posts
My friend just traded in his Evo9 for a brand new MR and he absolutely loves it. He says its a completely different car than the old one. The only thing he bitched about was the owners manual is almost a 1000 pages.

· needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
12,639 Posts
If you're not in a power race like so many others, and you just want a great car, get an impreza, if you want crazy mods and mad powa and don't care how long it lasts... get the mirage.. er I mean evo.

· Registered
02 F-150 Extended Cab
3,127 Posts
evo is faster, end of story.

id be rocking an evo now if i wasnt gonna go bak 2 skool, lols.

u can run 10s with bolt on turbos..u can do it with sti's but like u gotta do mad work and they blow up all the time..slowbarus..lol

ppl have run 10s on the stokc evo turbos supposedly..

4g63t, best 4 cyl ever

· Registered
2x01 2.5RS, 97 gm4
2,340 Posts
evo has a bigger turbo.......idk don't see it as fair comparison. ported 16g (evoIII) vs. vf39/43...........yeah. plus their turbo is closer to the motor.

i'd love to have evo XI.

there is an article in some mag but sti is cheaper in moding...bolt ons plus good tune and you will get more power then you would from evo, i think sti has more conservative map on it

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.