Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know our stock ignition systems are pretty good for most applications but I am wondering about using a capictive dischage system and re-gapping the plugs. Thoughts? I'm looking at the various ign boxes out there (MSD, Mallory, etc) but knowing that the RS coil is up to snuff, what about using a Nology hot-wire, or Direct-Hits type system. I'm still running stock wires (on NGK plugs). Anybody, Bueller? :checkit:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
From what others have said about wires, it's only beneficial if you had a car with more than light mods... intake, header, and exhaust at minimum. after this, any more mods may need you to install a performance fuel pump... therefore, you'll need better/stronger sparks to cover the extra fuel being burnt. I would go ahead for the wires, but be assured that the gain is only minimal.

I personally own a set of Magnecor wires on my Scooby. Even though I only have performance intake, airfilter, powerchip, and muffler, I feel more confident with my mods' power gains and not worry about the electrical areas.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, kickin... just to clarify, I have everything but port/polish heads, extrudehone manifold, ecu/ecm, pump/injectors, rods pistons. The car is a MY99 which already runs rich (a little tweaking of the TPS ;) ). I've got plenty of airflow in and out of the engine so now I need to burn the excess fuel, or reduce it... since fuel=power I say :flame:

·
Registered
256 Posts
if you are interested in buying some used heads to port and polish, i have a set you can snag. 30,000 on them, still look really good. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doodie, you should know I already have cams installed and I don't want to go through that again :) . I've got a shop here in town that'll do the heads basically to Cobb specs (actually slightly tweaked over Cobb's specs:devil: ). Thanks though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the DirectHits system on my 2002 GT. Also Ganzflow and lightweight pulley set. At first I noticed little or no difference (I did reset the computer) but after a 1500 mile road trip it is a different engine. I have much better throttle response and acceleration at all RPM's. I averaged 27.3 mpg on the trip, driving at high speeds with air on and doing a lot of passing on 2 lane roads. 2 passengers and some luggage.

I will now monitor mileage on my commuting route and see how she does, but I can say the car has gone from sluggish with the air on to nicely responsive even at 2000RPM.

Prestige Motorsports is now the distributor for Subeys. You might do a DirectHits search on this site and you will find another user who is happy with them. Lew Black, Denver

·
Premium Member
04 STI silver\silver
217 Posts
I have heard good things about the direct hits from challanger deep (shawn) and other people that have them and then read post that it could wear out the coil pack faster? I was wondering about something like a ITC to advance timing on a NA motor or MSD even though the stock ignition system is supposed to be strong MSD's are bulletproof but getting them to work on a 2.5 RS..............

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, reserected thread. Thanks for the replies guys. I know Shawn at Challenger deep fairly well (he used to live in the same apt complex as me). I'm not totally sold on the direct hits, not for that price at least. I'm waiting for someone to try the Nology Hot Wires (~$100 less). As for the MSD ignitions, the capcitive discharge is throughout the rev range BUT the multispark discharge is only at low RPMs. I'd rather get an upgraded coil (not that anyone's found one, that I know of) and better wires OR spend <$200 on a strictly capictive discharge system (like Hotwires or DirectHits).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Actually, I find the DirectHits very reasonably priced. They appear to have made a big improvement in the drivability of my car, and if the good gas mileage holds up they will pay for themselves as well. It is hard to believe that such a clean running car has much fuel left to burn...but the milage on my trip was great and I drove it hard on the mountain roads.

I talked to Lou, the owner of the company, and he was very credible. He said that after developing them they ran them in the field on a variety of cars to make sure there weren't any problems. He didn't seem to be in it for a quick buck, but for the long run. Lew

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What I'd really like to see is a magazine (dare I say SCC) do a no kidding ignition system comparison. Although they'll probably pick a Focus, RSX or Civic... the basic data will be there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree. As long as it is a new, super clean burning car the figures should translate. I would love to see Dyno's on some of these. Lew

·
Registered
9 Posts
Some upgraded news on my DirectHits experience. It looks like it was the upgrade in octane that gave me the extra performance. I went back to regular for a few tanks and my throttle response lagged. Back to midgrade and the zip came back. My last 2 tanks I got 22 per gallon, just what I was averaging before the upgrade.

Unfortunately, the wires that came with mine were defective, so I had to do my testing with stock wires.. Lou, the founder said it wouldn't make much difference, that the big advantage to their wires was longer life. I didn't have time in my money back guaranty to get new wires in, so I have just sent the DirectHits back for refund.

The 4 wheel drive mag articles seemes legit, so maybe these do help on engines that aren't as clean burning as mine. Bottom line, Prestige Motorsports needs to do dyno testing on a few Subaru's and post before and after charts.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nope, Wichita Falls TX. He was stationed here for training. I haven't seen or heard form him in almost 2 years. It was nice, though, to walk down to his apartment and see all the parts *drool*.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts