Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
05' Impreza 2.5rs, CGM
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for you guys... IF you made the decision to buy a used STi, what is the most amount of miles you would ideally look for? Would 50k+ be to much? Modded or un-modded? I am just curious because I am going to eventually say good bye to my RS for a STi and I'll be going used for sure.

·
Banned
01 Silverthorn 2.5rs
493 Posts
I don't think I would ever buy a used STi to tell you the truth. 99% of them have been beat on, and the ones that haven't, the owners usually hold onto. Look for un-modded ones for sure, and as low mileage as you can afford.

Why not swap the GC?

·
Premium Member
2005 STI , 1998 Outback Sport
206 Posts
I would look for one that is not modded or slightly modified. When you buy a modded car you always have to try and figure out what and how they did what they did. But other than that i dont see why a sti with 50k wouldnt be a bad buy. I wouldnt worry about people saying dont buy used because they were beat on either, its not like your not going to do the same. If your not gonna drive the car hard then theres no point to owning a sti.

·
Registered
13 Impreza
1,334 Posts
I'd say make friends with a conservative driver who owns an STi and wait for him/her to sell.... other than that, pretty much all STis will be beaten at one point or another. just because it's stock doesn't mean it's been beaten any more or less. If I was to trade in an STi, I'd revert it back to stock before I got rid of it anyways.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
My friend just gave his used STi to a dealer because he had a kid and needed something bigger. It was the most babied car I have ever seen. Probably the ONLY used STi I would ever buy. He kept it in perfect condition. Wash once a week AT LEAST (more in the winter), and driven hard less times than the number of fingers I have ( 9 :lol: jk )

Interior in perfect shape and the car was returned to stock before given back. He had a COBB stage 2 AP but he ran in "Economy Mode" most of the time because he was more worried about gas mileage.

It all depends on the owner. I personally would never buy one unless I knew the owner really well like in my case...

His was an 06 with 18k.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Don't worry about what everyone is saying about STi's being beaten within an inch of their life. I bought a used STi a couple years ago ('04... had low miles when I bought it, 17k) and I know it was driven by the previous owner the way it was intended, but not so much as anything broke or went wrong. The cars are built for this sort of thing. The tranny is near bulletproof, engine is pretty strong. I'd say find a clean one that is stock, with the lowest miles you can find. Try and find one that has maintenance records with it. It's not a great generalization to say that EVERY single STi has been beaten on profusely by the previous owner. Good example is one of my friends' fathers had an '06 STI for a year and a half or so, barely ever brought the thing over 4000RPMs. Traded it in for something newer and more luxurious because he just wanted something new. Beaten on? Not at all. There are deals out there, just find the right one.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
If you drive a few, you'll learn what feels right.

I would buy one that was (a) single owner (b) no scratches [as much as possible] (c) NO modifications of ANY kind, not even stereo (d) under 30k miles if possible (think warranty) (e) and otherwise in good condition.

I drove a few STis that were used. One had no power and the tranny had a big vibration. Obviously screwed up.

The one I bought was flawless and drove perfect. All service receipts, one owner, older guy who commuted in it, great condition, no mods, etc.

·
Registered
05' Impreza 2.5rs, CGM
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good points. I am definitely not going to pussy foot around a STi if I owned one. I think I will try to keep it under 40k miles and as close to stock as I can keep it. Autotrader always has a couple excellent deals on used STis that dealerships just want to get rid of.. For instance saw an STi on there for $20k with 25k miles on it!!! it was a 05 also!!! made me say WTF a couple times.

·
Registered
02 F-150 Extended Cab
2,610 Posts
even if you buy an abused one it can be revived with alittle bit of work.

i understand that if you pay big bucks for a cat you want it to be in good condition though. if you buy a modded sti, OKAy..

if i were in the position to buy an sti, i wouldnt buy one at all. i would buy an evo, but thats just me. sti's are slow and mostly owned by douche bags, im sure evo owners are just as gay but anyways..:lol:

if i was gonna get the sti and it had your typical mods (stage 2, etc) or if the owner had a biggr turbo + injectors, etc instlled i would revert it back to stock and put about 5K miles on it and keep a close eye on things like compression, oil consumption, etc.

then go from there if you want to step up to big hp.

·
Registered
05' Impreza 2.5rs, CGM
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
have you ever seen the STi Type 25 by Litchfield Cosworth? Its not street legal in the US and it is from the UK, but when I get an STi, I'll make it pretty much a US version of the Type 25... I love that car.

I am gonna have to disagree with you. Evo drivers are Douch Bags, STi drivers are super cool. I don't know what you have come across, but every STi driver I have come across has plenty of respect for the N/A subaru because thats the roots! I always get peace signs thrown from STi drivers and WRX drivers everywhere I go! Its pretty cool

·
Registered
2.5RS Rally Car
2,066 Posts
It honestly depends on how much you're looking to spend and what the car will be used for.

If I were to get one, it would end up being a track / rally beater, so mileage and cosmetics don't matter to me... as long as it is mechanically sound.

I don't think 50+k on these cars is anything to worry about. Subarus are fairly bulletproof with major mechanical components lasting 200+k no problem.

·
Registered
97 Brighton, 4x4
1,681 Posts
I think there is a lot to be said about looking at the driver of the car. For instance. Does the owner look like this. Did he probably try and do donuts and fail at wiring in some LED's.

·
Registered
2.5RS Rally Car
2,066 Posts
Also, if buying from someone on a message board, it's always good to go through their past post/threads. Usually gives you a good idea of the history of the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts