Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
06 Impreza 2.5i
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just finished up with changing the headgaskets in my 2.2 I just started it up and its fucked up. There is smoke comin from the engine and it is sputtering a lot. Now since a lot of things got taken off there could be a lot of causes. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. I followed the directions from the chilton car manual as best as I could. I guess it wasnt good enough.

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
Wish I could help you bro. Your right it could e a lot of things. What color is the smoke?

·
Registered
2001 Silver RS-T
482 Posts
If it's bluish it's probably oil. Did you just start it up saw the smoke and shut it off? If so there could have just been a little coolant or extra oil in the cyl that hasn't burnt out.

·
Registered
2001 Silver RS-T
482 Posts
You might pull your plugs and take a look at them. There is a pretty good chance that they were fouled.

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
Dumb question and I don't know if it would have anything to do with this but did you change the oil filter and oil afterwards

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
meh.........give it some time, some of the gurus should be able to give you some answers here. Good luck and I hope it works out for ya,

·
Registered
06 Impreza 2.5i
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks you guys. Just changed the plugs but same problem. I did change the oil but not the oil filter. Checked and rechecked to make sure all vacuum hoses are connected. The engine lunges when idling. Like if you were to give it gas every second. Its weird.The ticking noise is louder on the left side of the engine than on the right.

·
Enthusiast
2001 SRP L
2,513 Posts
If you took off the Negative terminal while changing the head gasket[ which you should of any ways] take it off again [give it 10 seconds] then put it back on. Usually when you do this kind of job, the idle gets like that and the car needs to relearn what it used to do. If this don't work then maybe its the pvc. Sorry if i'm incorrect.

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
did you triple check the timing belt alignment?

are all 4 cylinders firing?

im sure you've already checked but check again and make sure all electrical connections are where they should be...

·
(860)
2001 2.5RSTi Coupe
1,095 Posts
did you triple check the timing belt alignment?

are all 4 cylinders firing?

im sure you've already checked but check again and make sure all electrical connections are where they should be...
^^finally, someone said it

·
Registered
06 Impreza 2.5i
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I noticed when I took off the intake manifold that my knock sensor has a crack/is cracked. Would this contribute to the problem Im having?

·
Registered
02' PSM WRX
1,535 Posts
did the timing belt get pt back on properly. and did you turn the cam gear at all when the head was off on either side. you know past the point of how you can turn it with your hands?

·
Registered
06 Impreza 2.5i
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I received the knock sensor from subaru about 4 days ago. I had time to put it on today. I did and put everything together minus the accessories. So when i start the car the rpms shoot up to around 2k and stay there for like 4 seconds. Then they go to normal. So the engine still sputters at idle. I have an exhaust leak where the cat meet the mid-pipe. Gonna take care of that in a lil bit. Dont know if that is contributing to the problem. I believe its just an idling problem because the engine accelerates smoothly. Checked all the electrical connections again, checked the vacuum hoses, and checked the timing belt. No check engine light. Dont know what else to check.

·
ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
5,223 Posts
Ignoring the rest of the thread and replying to your last post: You didn't disconnect the coolant lines to the throttle body, did you? If you did, that will cause an odd, usually high, but sometimes wandering idle.

·
Registered
06 Impreza 2.5i
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did take it off when I took off the intake manifold to get to the heads. Then when I put everything back together and was filling it up with fluids I had water coming out from that coolant line because my dumbass forgot to connect it. But its connected now. And I cleaned up the water. I been giving this some thought because I am considering all possibilities...what would happen if my heads were warped and I only sanded them down with sand paper and then put them back on? I also sanded down the mating surface on the cylinder block too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts