Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
'01 2.5RS sedan, silver
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

This is my project for my 2001 Impreza that I just picked up.

Its an automatic

All original as far I know. even the original radio/cassette/CD player... I hope the cassette player works lol.

This is my First Impreza.

Day of purchase

02/03/2019

Previously I ran B14 and B15 sentras

I have wanted an Impreza for a while.

The car is a 2001 with 142,000 miles.

Carfax shows regular service for the last 18+ years from the one previous owner.

It has terrible rust in the rear quarter panels and some minor rust on the radiator brace.

My plan is the drive this thing for a while and get a feel for the car and decide for sure on the build direction.

I want to get another EJ251/253 and build it with a moderate cam and the usual bolt ons/tune to hopefully break into the 200hp club.

NOTE: I appreciate those of you who would suggest a 2.0 turbo swap ... but I really want to do an NA build with this one.

So the Goal
Alpine white paint job
Swap EJ20 or a 2.5l turbo swap
Un-F#[email protected] the rust
Have a reliable subie to last me a while.
Clean build

Legend:
Planned
finished
thoughts

BODY/INTERIOR:
Repair the rear quarter panel rust
Paint it alpine white
Maybe do black accents?
Few Modest "Ice Bear" decals for some personal flair
Rally armor flaps
New seats and panels since the door panels/console havent aged well
probably going to source from an STI or 2.5rs donor.

Hella Sharptones 1/27/2019

POWERTRAIN:
Turbo swap it

Intake silencer removal and K&N filter

[EDIT:No longer going with CAI/SRI based on research]

Headers -KO speed

Cats --Factory

Exhaust -TSUDO catback

Light weight Crank pulley - TBD

01/21/2018

SUSPENSION:
Bushings... She needs them

Tein Advance Z coilovers ---sitting in my office now
Brakes--- power stops sitting in my office
Strutbars depending on what my "drive it around" phase indicates
Wheels and tires TBD

I'm not big into flashy... I just like to drive around twisty roads and on dirt roads..

Just want the engine to run and sound good. Getting the headgaskets and timing belt done soon^tm

If I break into 200+hp that would be nice too.

I will make updates on this as I get things done.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'01 2.5RS sedan, silver
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I love this....
So I changed the oil yesterday and I love that I didn't even have to lift the car.

I can reach everything from the bumper.

Needs a drive belt so that's my plan for tomorrow.

·
Registered
98RS (Unicorn), 05 GSXR 1000
733 Posts
Easy way to do 200hp keeping it NA, high compression 2.0L JDM short block with 25D heads and delta cams. Boom instant 200+

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L with boost.
159 Posts
Easy way to do 200hp keeping it NA, high compression 2.0L JDM short block with 25D heads and delta cams. Boom instant 200+

This sounds really interesting. I did a bit of googling, but really doesn’t turn up much. You have any links or builds using this backwards hybrid? I’d like to read about it for shits and giggles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
I understand you want to stay n/a, but as someone who used to wave the n/a flag I can confidently say; turbo good. If you're considering a frankenmotor anyway, an old 2.2 block with those same 25d heads will take lots of boost on the cheap.

Puts an H6 to shame, and those are already putting out more than you'll make with the 2.0.

N/A builds are cool too, in to see what direction you take. I just had to chime in when I saw your signature.

·
Premium Member
'01 2.5RS sedan, silver
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand you want to stay n/a, but as someone who used to wave the n/a flag I can confidently say; turbo good. If you're considering a frankenmotor anyway, an old 2.2 block with those same 25d heads will take lots of boost on the cheap.

Puts an H6 to shame, and those are already putting out more than you'll make with the 2.0.

N/A builds are cool too, in to see what direction you take. I just had to chime in when I saw your signature.

lol thanks for the input.

I'll certainly do more research before I decide..

For now she is sharing the DD status with my Touareg.

I will need to learn more about what the AT can handle/fit and what the likely hood of me wanting the swap to a MT is...

Maybe ill hit the lotto and do a 555 copy build lol.

Also, It would seem that intakes are pointless and I'll probably just remove the silencers from the factory intake and drop in a KN filter.

·
Premium Member
'01 2.5RS sedan, silver
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
TEIN street advance Z and powerstop rotors/pads came in 2 days ago.

The TEIN's came from rallysportdirect... super fast shipping..

I have decided to have the headgaskets and timing belt done.

I will have to have a mechanic do them since I don't have time currently.

After that I just need this 2.5l to live long enough to figure out the swap.

going to do an AT to MT swap when I do the motor swap.... cause why not..

·
Premium Member
'01 2.5RS sedan, silver
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@JdmGary Thanks!

@bue car I will get more pics soon.

I have finally decided on the engine plan.

In a week or so I'm getting the headgaskets and timing belt done so I can run this engine for a few years with maybe a little love done to the exhaust.. because boxer-rumble lol.

Meanwhile, I'm currently doing research on doing a EZ30 swap.

I know the HP won't be crazy like a turbo could do... but I love the idea of keeping it NA and that still gets me over 200hp.

My only concern with the swap is the size and the transmission.

Plus the heavier H6 is going to throw the weight distribution off(extra 100 lbs in the front), but I think I'll live.

Plus I never planned on winning any SOLO medals.... Just want to have fun ;)

·
Registered
98RS (Unicorn), 05 GSXR 1000
733 Posts
This sounds really interesting. I did a bit of googling, but really doesn’t turn up much. You have any links or builds using this backwards hybrid? I’d like to read about it for shits and giggles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can get you all the specs for the details of this setup. I come from a performance shop out here in PA, the engine builder is a good friend of mine, he's worked with shops out on the west coast and east coast, along with building 2.0L closed decks.

He's a master guru in terms of specs of blocks.

·
Premium Member
'01 2.5RS sedan, silver
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can get you all the specs for the details of this setup. I come from a performance shop out here in PA, the engine builder is a good friend of mine, he's worked with shops out on the west coast and east coast, along with building 2.0L closed decks.

He's a master guru in terms of specs of blocks.

Be sure to share with the rest of the class lol.

I'm curious to learn more about that build too.

·
Premium Member
'01 2.5RS sedan, silver
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Flip for profit & turbo.
Excellent idea... And you are mostly correct!

I'm going to attempt to trade/sell it. I'll rebuild the trans and keep it unless someone needs it more than me. It's a great motor at good mileage but I've seen that the swap isn't worth it. Maybe I can sell the heads and do something with the block to get more boost... eh probably better to sell it to someone who needs it.

I'm currently toying with some designs that involve low boost and supercharging the EJ251 with a EATON M6x or something similar.

Upside to this is that It is less common (but well explored from what I can tell). This fact appeals to my need for a "neat" factor.

Downside is that the whole re-routing a throttle body and fabbing a mount/ getting the alignment of the blower/belts is something I've not done before.:gaga:

I'd pick a blower/pulley combo that would get me to around 6-8psi and call it good. I'm not looking for a lot of power as we recall... just some fun.

Ideally, I will have a spare 251 to rebuild, port and pretty-up(because delta cams are pretty) in my "free" time without losing the ability to drive this excellent machine.

Now for the ugh moments.

My sway-bar(stabilizer as I've always called them) links on the front are snapped in half.

Secondly, and more annoyingly, the rear bumper mount is mostly rusted out (but the bumper is still secure :projectsti.com: )

So I will have to add that to the list.

I think at this point I'm going to drop some cheap links in from advanced (12 bucks) then source some whiteline links and a whole bushing set eventually.

In doing so I will also have a chance to drop the sway bars and un-f**k the rust on them.

Most concerning:help:

There Is a hollow metal sound at idle some times.

From afar when I heard it my brain went to a knock... but the sound isn't present at high RPMs and isn't always present at idle. -- I think this is a rusted/loose heat shielding. It's like the sound you would get if you rolled a marble in an aluminum can but it can be rhythmic.

Also, the injector tick on this engine is SUPER loud but I haven't owned a not diesel vehicle in half a decade so maybe I think about the sounds too much lol.

·
Premium Member
'01 2.5RS sedan, silver
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Our valves are loud, it's not you haha.

It could be the throw out bearing or pilot bearing on the clutch/fly wheel are making the noise you hear concerning you.

I busted out the stethoscope in the rain today.

And yes. The injectors and valves are indeed hella loud.

It wouldn't make the noise but I scoped the oil pan and it didn't sound bad at all.

Hopefully its some loose BS on the exhaust which could be solved by a header lol.

The car is an auto currently so no worries about the clutch lol.

·
Premium Member
'01 2.5RS sedan, silver
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anyone want to take a crack at telling me what this sound is?

GC8 idle sound 2 - YouTube (it louder in this video)

GC8 sound at idle - YouTube (More typical of how it sounds)

It doesn't always make this sound.

It only persist at idle/ cant be heard when revving.

I scoped the oil pan and valve covers with neither of which following the rythm of this sound but I'm not sure.

It's been too wet and muddy to jack it up and look.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts