Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

I want more boost. What do I need to do?

643 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Boy 
#1 ·
I am running Ludespeed's stage 2 turbo kit with a J&S Ultra Safeguard on my '01 RS. I am sick of this 6 pounds stuff, I know its dangerous but I really want to be able to turn it up to at least 9 pounds so can someone help me out and let me know what I need to do in order to get that kind of boost. I am not very smart when it comes to ECU's/engine management and all that stuff.

Also if I turn up the boost that high am I going to need a new tranny perhaps? I have on it right now an ACT street clutch and a lightweight flywheel. And also will stock internals be able to handle that kind of boost. I have heard that it can.

Please someone help me out that knows all about this kind of ish (maybe umm......graham.....) :)

#2 ·
First, if you do not have an intercooler, go get one.

Second, run higher octane gas if you can get it.

Third, turn it up as much as you can without getting knock. If you get knock, more than 2-4 points (maybe less, I'm thinking on my GMC Typhoon so don't quote me on that), then turn the boost down.

Knock is what kills engines. No knock and you are safe.

#3 ·
I know guys w/programmable ECU's that are afraid to take it to 9 psi. I don't think it would be a very smart move on your part, but I guess it is doable. I really don't see the J&S preventing your engine from blowing up with that kind of boost, but I could be wrong.

You would also need much bigger injectors. Those cannot really be run with the stock ECU, so you would need to get a prorgammable unit first.

Can the internals take it? Sure, with the proper tuning. With as little as you say you know about tuning and electronics, do youself a favor and stick with the 6 psi.

Graham

#4 ·
Well, on stock injectors and WRX pump (with a GReddy E-Manage) I've seen 6psi no problem. I'm putting injectors in as we speak and should be able to hit 7-8 (limit of the RHB5) no problem. The tranny will take it if you're kind to it, and the internals will be fine if you aren't getting knock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.