Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
17,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out that the only people who can tune the N/A 99-01 RS is Yoshio and I-Speed. I spoke to a number of tuning shops and they all said they knew how, but on the contrary, I'm being told that there are only two places who can and know how to do that (mentioned above). I was very specific when I mentioned that I had wanted an ECU reflash similar to I-Speed's SRS-30 but I got vague responses telling me that they could tune N/A 2.5's.

I guess I'll be placing my order for the SRS-30 unless someone tells me I can get a similar service somewhere else. Who's with me?

· Registered
'06 LGT
9,912 Posts
You are correct in thinking that no one can tune the RS ECU... However with a piggyback such as a pp6 or emanage any shop will then be able to tune your RS.

ohh and I love my pp6 and delta cams. Protune yielded a bit over 160 to the wheels.

· Registered
V4 Sti BRP, 98LGT SP, 94SVX PW
793 Posts
Well it isn't that they cant tune the ECU.
Anyone can if they had the software to write to it. Both Yoshio and I Speed use software that is no longer sold from a UK based company. You can look around to find out the name.
If you have a 1st gen RS ECU (98 and part of 99) then you can order a chip from the UK/Japan and just plug it in. Other than that look on JP sites for other options.

· Registered
17,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are correct in thinking that no one can tune the RS ECU... However with a piggyback such as a pp6 or emanage any shop will then be able to tune your RS.

ohh and I love my pp6 and delta cams. Protune yielded a bit over 160 to the wheels.
Yea, that's what I was hoping for, around 160-165awhp would make me very happy :D Also, the guy said they could tune with management, but it wouldn't be worth it (and he's right). If I have to buy an Emanage or PP6, then have the guy tune with it, I'll be spending at *least* $700-$800.. which is why I wanted a straight-ecu tune.

Anyone can if they had the software to write to it. Both Yoshio and I Speed use software that is no longer sold from a UK based company. You can look around to find out the name.
If you have a 1st gen RS ECU (98 and part of 99) then you can order a chip from the UK/Japan and just plug it in. Other than that look on JP sites for other options.
Oohhh, I see. It's too bad that only two people managed to get their hands on that specific software. Maybe I'll go ninja style and break into I-Speed :naughty: So you can't tune the 99-01 RS without that specific software, and only two people have it? That's nuts... Talk about total domination over a particular market.

· Registered
02 F-150 Extended Cab
3,127 Posts
have any more info on this? if its for a phase 1 ej25d motor, then it might also work on later phase 1 ej18/22 motors as they share similar ecu's

theres a guy on legacy central who has a chipped usdm turbo legacy..i dono how he has it though as its like one of the only ones who has it, really really weird.

· Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS and
453 Posts
Hm..... Before someone figured out a way to make an *effective and useful* "chip" for our cars, there's something better "Big Bro" option of Turbo!

I'm not the experts of Boxer engine or anything.... Just my opinion here.

· needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
12,639 Posts
I'm surprised no one has really figured out a way to make an *effective and useful* "chip" for our cars...
Well at least your ecu is capable of being flashed. You just have to get another to use and find someone to send yours to for flashing. My ej20k ecu isn't capable of being flashed and has no extra spot on the board for an extra IC/"chip". I have to use an entire new ecu (power fc) in the stock one's place. :drunk:

· Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
9,088 Posts
It is my understanding that the "chips" from UK do not work in USDM NA applications. There were a few successful designs for the turbo cars of the world before we even had the RS....but pre-99 is SOL as far as ECU tuning goes. Neither Yoshi or i-speed can work with them. Yoshi uses (or used) TechTom software to make changes....I dunno what i-speed is using.

· Registered
17,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys both have the 2000 grind?
What was your power before the tune 01rs25(assuming you were on a dyno)?
I got the mild grind... my RS is a DD. The numbers before the cams went in and the headwork was done were very close to stock whp/wtq numbers.

It is my understanding that the "chips" from UK do not work in USDM NA applications. There were a few successful designs for the turbo cars of the world before we even had the RS....but pre-99 is SOL as far as ECU tuning goes. Neither Yoshi or i-speed can work with them. Yoshi uses (or used) TechTom software to make changes....I dunno what i-speed is using.
I guess I should be thankful I have a 2000 :banana:

· Registered
'06 LGT
9,912 Posts
You guys both have the 2000 grind?
What was your power before the tune 01rs25(assuming you were on a dyno)?
Baseline before the tune was 149 hp and 153ft/lbs

Just a slight powerband shift then?
How noticeable is the shift during normal driving?
Yeah powerband has been shifted toward the top end. It pulls to redline so much easier now.

I have the 2000 grind.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.