Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza RS
586 Posts
You are a true trail blazer. Keep that fighting spirit!

Nick C.

·
Registered
646 Posts
No wonder I want a Link2 setup in my car. No more need for this crap. Oh and the turbo is also a good reason.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well here is the story.

I have had my car for about a year and have never had a MAF problem, and the guy I bought it from had never had a problem. So i was a bit hesitant to get it changed at all but I was excited to finally be able to put a good intake on my car.

Well, i got the recall a month ago or so and I went and got the sensor changed. It really did make some improvement with idle etc. So thinking all of our problems were solved I ordered an intake and installed it. I was very satisfied with the performance. I took the car out and ran it fairly hard to see if the sensor would fail and didn't have any problems. I have had it on now for several weeks and not even a hint of a problem. Well I get in the car last night to go home and when I went for 3rd the car just stalled out, dead as can be.I was driving very slow and not doing anything that I would think could cause a problem.(I have driven back and fourth to NC 3 or 4 times with no problem) The check engine light didn't even come on. I crank it over and it sputters and dies. The battery light was coming on before it would die so I thought it may have been the alternator. I removed the alternator and had it checked and of course it was fine. So i simply unplug the maf and the car starts right up.

The problem is that with my recent move my stock intake and hardware are all in NC while I am working out my notice here in WV. I know that if I take my car to the dealer and ask them to warratee it they will look at the intake and throw a fit. (This this the same place that tried to tell me that my factory coupe wing is too high and therefore not factory!)thats a different topic though.
So they have one in stock due to the recall and I will go pick it up later today, another $50 I don't have! Yee haw!:curse:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just outta curiousity, which intake do you have installed?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a rallispec, supposedly one of the best made and most secure, and MAF friendly intakes you can buy.:curse:

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Sorry to hear about your luck.:( I found this to be pretty funny, though:
This this the same place that tried to tell me that my factory coupe wing is too high and therefore not factory
:lol:
You said that was another story; I think it would be good to hear!

:D

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
It is a rallispec, supposedly one of the best made and most secure, and MAF friendly intakes you can buy.
Someone blew 3 of them w/ a Rallispec. I was there when 2 of them went. And that was when we had to spend 300+ for a replacement.

I'm bumming that the new one went. I was looking foreward to getting a new intake :(

Peaty

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the offer Pappa Smurf but I am in NC now. I am now on my second "new" maf and all seems well.:rolleyes:

Last night I put the stock plumbing on and just used the pipercross filter with the stock plenum, I didn't like it at all. My butt dyno could really feel the diference. I will try this again and if the MAF goes again I think I will put the car completely back to stock and sell or trade it.(I don't have extensive mods anyway, intake, exhaust, wheels, 18mm sway bar, clear lenses, strut tower bar, etc.):curse:

·
Registered
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5 Rs
3,712 Posts
$50??? When mine blew in South Carolina when I was on my way back up to Pa mine blew and they charged me $350 for a new one. If there is something I'm missing can someone let me know. -Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was at Dale Teagues place the other day and showed him the bad maf that I have. He was 95% sure that it was not a hot wire maf. Are we sure that the new maf's a a hot wire? Maybe becase it is the same part number my dealer screwed me by giving me an old one off the shelf. It does have the white lettering on the edge like the one in you pics Peaty.:confused:

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
I replied to your PM but I'll post the responce here too:

------

The only way to get the elements is to destroy the MAF because they are epoxied (SP?) in there. So I really could only get the outside. I took those pics at my dealer when I had the recall done. So I really couldn't get to see exactly what is inside. You are right though they look the same to me too with the exception of these two little pins on the outside. I'm still not positive if they changed from the thin film type to the hot wire. But some people seem to think thats the difference.

------

I would tend to agree with Dale (mostly because he knows a ton about Scoobies) We do have some pics of the inside of the thin film type on the scoobymods site here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=184&highlight=blown

But as you say unless they are side by side and open it will be hard to tell.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dale said something about, there is an oval cutout where the hotwire is, and the bad one I had with me did not have the cutout, and it was a maf with the white lettering.:confused:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts