Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO i was out doing a twisties run in my 2000 2.5RS, when my engine started to make funny noises... then really unpleasant funny noises. like metal on metal rattling around unpleasant funny noises. engine died. wouldn't start. called wrecker.

shit you not, 4 hours later, the guy gets there, takes a look at the engine and notices that the oil pan is still okay, then looks at the serpentine pulleys and notices that the big one in the center is leaning back toward the engine a little bit (as if something inside the engine was just dangling). got the car towed back to my apartment (the guy was awesome, did it for 40 bucks) where it's sitting right now.

thats the only diagnosis ive had of it. i suppose there could be a multitude of shit wrong with it now, but based on what i've told you am i looking at a new crankshaft? Or is this justification for doing a swap that i've wanted all along?

any help would be appreciated, thanks!
-Travis

·
Registered
BRP ver5 RSTi, Beater Leggy
370 Posts
Were you gunning it thru the twisties? Probably oil starved and spun a bearing - it sucks. Engine will sieze and not start up again if you keep it running while its making those horrible noises.

Only way to really know is to drain the oil. You should see lots and lots of little metal flakes in the oil if you spun a bearing.

If its a spun bearing, you're looking at a rebuild at the least or a whole new short block (possibly long block), depending on the extent of the damage and how long you kept it running while it was making the clanking noises..

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i was doing a twisty attack. how much of a price difference is to repair the bearing vs get a completely new engine?

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i called the people at east coast swappers, and they quoted the motor kit that they sell (WRX 2 liter) at $3,800. if i didn't go with the swap, how expensive could repairing my current motor be (worst case scenario)?

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
i called the people at east coast swappers, and they quoted the motor kit that they sell (WRX 2 liter) at $3,800. if i didn't go with the swap, how expensive could repairing my current motor be (worst case scenario)?
worst case is you need an entire new longblock...just buy a used one

that'll be about 1000$ if you do the work yourself....

of course price varies on your luck finding engines....i've seen them as low as 400-500$ for a good condition ej251.....but finding for 1000$ shouldn't be hard at all..

if the bearing didn't let go and do a ton of damage a rebuild could be done for ~500$ (again all the work done yourself)

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
where would you recommend searching for engines? i hear that my car is really common up in the northeast, not so common down here.

·
Registered
2002 Impreza RS EJ251
269 Posts
I've just rebuild my engine for $2800. This also included LW flywheel, new clutch and engine mounts. I replaced crant bearings, piston rings, water pump, all tensioners and belts, head gasket, bolts and valve seals. Also had a P&P on the headsand Delta cams.

Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts