Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 L coupe Teal-Blue
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swapped out my subframe and power steering system.. after bolting it all back up, I filled it with OReilly's store brand power steering fluid. Then realized that I was supposed to fill it with dexron III ATF...

So, I don't want to damage the power steering system, but I would rather not have to disconnect the lines again and waste more fluids trying to flush it all out.. I figure power steering fluid and atf are roughly the same, I want to know if it's okay to leave OReilly's generic power steering fluid in the system..

·
Premium Member
2015 WRX STI WRB
8,417 Posts
power steering fluid and ATF are not the same. you really should drain the ps fluid and refill with the ATF stuff.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS BRP RSTi
1,294 Posts
Awesome name... (Insert sarcasm for big wig lol) I really should change out my PS fluid.. because it is PS fluid in mine as well. Previous owner had it, so i did it. Did it on my old OBS never ran into a issue. Hmmm should drain it haha.. Just actually came to realize on the Chat we have on here that its suppose to be ATF. I just never read the cap...

But it's not going to hurt anything, But take it out as soon as you can. Ive ran my car over 3 years with it. no issues at all. After learning about it myself im going to change it.

Everyone has their Noob moments, (i know i have) ha been working on cars for years now. Even just generally Subaru's and mistakes are to be made, Luckily these cars are forgiving =D

Im changing mine out tomorrow probably.

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
Is that why the PS is leaking like crazy on my wife's Forester. Actually, most foresters i looked at were all leaking from the PS.

My car is actually NOT loeaking PS fluid even though i have been running PS fluid since 2006.

Never read the cap.

·
Registered
95 L coupe Teal-Blue
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, that was easier than I expected, I just pulled out that black plastic hose by the PS reservoir and hooked a 10.00 transfer pump into the inlet, sucked out all the power steering fluid, poured in some ATF and kept pumping it until the system was cleared out.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
I'm running normal ps fluid in mine... and the rack recently started leaking. I'm going to try flushing and using dex to see if the seals swell enough to stop leaking. Sucks because the rack was bone dry when I installed it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.