Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Wisconsin you can get into some serious trouble if you don't have cats! How do you guys get away with it?

Also are hi flow cats less effective at reducing emmissions than the stock cats?

· Premium Member
2005 rs silver
1,555 Posts
make friends with a shop owner that does inspections... thats wat i did lol.... and if a cop pulls u over sayin u have an issue with ur exhaust say "sir the only thing i need is my cats and i do have them so whats the issue

· Registered
02 F-150 Extended Cab
3,127 Posts
its a federal offense if you don't have a cat. depends on the state you're in..i wouldnt dare try to have a california registered car without a cat or any modifications. If your car sounds stock I doubt you'll have any issues with cops..I was fully catless with a oem wrx mid pipe & muffler and my car sounded dead quiet.

its relatively easy to pass inspection without cats as long as you're obd-II and the state you live in doesnt do tail pipe probes on obd2 cars. i passed inspection in nj here, fully catless..:devil:

· Registered
2017 STi
14,451 Posts
I'd like to run catless. But my car is already illegal and this would just be asking for trouble. I think it'd be kind of hard to drive through the city without getting noticed.

· Premium Member
2005 rs silver
1,555 Posts
I'd like to run catless. But my car is already illegal and this would just be asking for trouble. I think it'd be kind of hard to drive through the city without getting noticed.

my car is sooo fuckin loud and im in pitts everyday no worries... been pulled over one time for it and he was a county cop and they cant say shit to u about it cause there not a certified inspection agent.... prove fact due to my friend get a 767 dollar ticket for tint exhaust wheel stickin out to far and windsheild sunvisor tint... completely washed out cause the police officer was not a certified inspection agent and my friend brought that to the judges attention and said could that be considered harrasment since he has no proff of this and the judge dropped it

· Registered
2017 STi
14,451 Posts
my car is sooo fuckin loud and im in pitts everyday no worries... been pulled over one time for it and he was a county cop and they cant say shit to u about it cause there not a certified inspection agent.... prove fact due to my friend get a 767 dollar ticket for tint exhaust wheel stickin out to far and windsheild sunvisor tint... completely washed out cause the police officer was not a certified inspection agent and my friend brought that to the judges attention and said could that be considered harrasment since he has no proff of this and the judge dropped it
AHHHHHHH good to know. I was in downtown PGH 2 days ago and was riding with my front windows down because I was paranoid of getting pulled over by City cops. Eventually I just said f*ck it, had to put em up cause of the rain. Stop by my apt if your down in pitts bro, I live like 5 mins from the parkway.

· Premium Member
2005 rs silver
1,555 Posts
AHHHHHHH good to know. I was in downtown PGH 2 days ago and was riding with my front windows down because I was paranoid of getting pulled over by City cops. Eventually I just said f*ck it, had to put em up cause of the rain. Stop by my apt if your down in pitts bro, I live like 5 mins from the parkway.

for real pm me let me no

· ITS TURBO TIME!
05 LGT limited
3,647 Posts
For the most part Cats have to be installed. But then again if you make friends with a shop owner who does inspections then you are ok! And there are plenty of legal ways to get around it if you are pulled over. I actually got out of a ticket completely because the officer cursed while he was talking to me about my Exhaust! Went to court and the judge had no choice but to drop it!

· Registered
221 Posts
yeah i got a borla header and a cat delete pipe with a sti catback and its nto that loud but ditching the cats was a noticable improvement as far as a sticker we dont have visuale inspection in mass but obd2 scans so if you do an 02 spacer you will be fine thats whats i did and no cel

· JBCUSTOMS
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
3,543 Posts
get a po box in a county that dosent do emissions then register your vehicle to that address... no emissions= no problem

or just replace the cats prior to going to do emissions. It is a bolt in pipe, so it isnt hard to swap back and forth!

· Registered
2000 WRX STI Type-RA Limited
778 Posts
For the most part Cats have to be installed. But then again if you make friends with a shop owner who does inspections then you are ok! And there are plenty of legal ways to get around it if you are pulled over. I actually got out of a ticket completely because the officer cursed while he was talking to me about my Exhaust! Went to court and the judge had no choice but to drop it!

I don't understand.. you got off because he cussed?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.