Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1993 Impreza L
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo....what's up guys... haha. ok well, I know there's R160,180, and 200 what's the difference in the 3 and what model and years did they come out with each? I think R160 is 4.44 02+ right? and R180 is 4.11 up to MY01? what is R200? and the higher the ratio means...i'm stuck... help me out please, i'm trying to get info and learn

· Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
480 Posts
I don't know anything about an R200, and little about the r180, other than it's what all USDM STi's use.

The R160 came in a few different ratios, including 3.9, 4.11, and 4.44. There are open verions, vicious units, and mechanical ones. They come in all imprezas other than STis. 98-99 RS used a 4.11 open until, and 2000-2001 used a 4.11 vicious LSD.

Use the search tool, there's a ton of information out there on this topic.

· Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
9,088 Posts
R160, R180 and R200 refer to the diameter of the ring gear. You stick with R160 stuff. Research the final drive ratio your car currently has and stick with it.

· Registered
1993 Impreza L
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but what if i want to get a 02+ drivetrain? and does the ratio make it stronger or what? i want to know if the higher the ratio the faster it spins,more torque? or what? that's what i want to know too.

· Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
480 Posts
I really hate it when people say "search" but seriously, google is your friend. Ratios and things of that nature are covered in tons and tons of places.

But on a basic level, higher number leads to more acceleration/higher rpm's in a given gear and speed. It also hurts mileage some and top speed, though most of us don't have to torque to run to the top of our gears.

· Registered
1993 Impreza L
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm more into really tight turns like gymkhana, so i want more torque. so i guess 4.44 is my choice than huh, thanks rooster your a pal. Another question on the list down. Oh but I have so much more questions... i'll keep searching, i'm asking and doing research at the same time so I get my answer quicker, so guys I do do my research, just while i'm asking questions... sorry about that...

· Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
480 Posts
Front and rear need to be the same, center has no reduction. The ratio's are actually Final Drive ratios, and refer to the gear reduction. So with a 4.44, your driveshaft will spin 4.44 times while your wheels will spin once. It's actually 2 gears called the ring and pinion, which are part of hte differential, which can be swapped from diff to diff, but it's not overly easy if you don't know what you're doing. Finally, the front (and center, for that matter) is in the transmission, and in many case people swap the entire transmission.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.