Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
07 impreza
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(:(:screwy:I have an 07 impreza with clutch issues...... it wont go into gear when the
car is on only when its off. The pedal goes to the floor and I have to pull it back up. I replaced the clutch about 3 years ago and the new clutch has 17,000 miles on it. I was driving when it happened, no warning signs or smells. I was driving and went to put it in second gear and it would not go in. I just had it towed to my house and need it fixed asap!!!!! Please any input would be great!!!!

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
Check there's fluid in the master, try bleeding it... If you're lucky it's a hydraulic issue. If not, you'll be splitting the engine & tranny.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,030 Posts
Sounds like the master or slave cylinder gave out. More commonly the master cylinders go first, fill it with fluid and try to bleed it.

·
Registered
07 impreza
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there is fluid in the master and I did bleed it and still nothing...so now what? why does it go into gear when the car is off but not when its on?

·
Registered
'00 2.5rs coupe
1,628 Posts
It goes in gear because nothing is spinning ... you don't have to disengage the clutch to get it in gear.

Have someone watch the clutch fork under the hood. When you push the pedal, does the slave push on it? Does it return? If the answer to both is yes, then you have a mechanical problem with the clutch (disintegrated throwout bearing or fork). If the answer is no to either, you have a hydraulic problem.

·
Registered
07 impreza
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when I push the pedal in the slave piston pushes the fork but I had to manually push the fork to bring the piston back if I just push the piston back I can take the fork on move it freely like there"s no tension on the fork at all which I believe should push the cylinder back am I right?

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
when I push the pedal in the slave piston pushes the fork but I had to manually push the fork to bring the piston back if I just push the piston back I can take the fork on move it freely like there"s no tension on the fork at all which I believe should push the cylinder back am I right?
Sounds like a throwout bearing issue. Either the fork has fallen off the pivot ball (or worn through), or the throwout bearing has let go. When you changed the clutch, what did you do? Pressure plate, throwout bearing, flywheel bearing? Just friction plate? If you didn't change the throwout, that's probably what failed.

well ty for your help....KROTCH I hope u have a GREAT day....oh im sorry did I offend you with all the CAPS.....get a f***ing life!!!
It is a little annoying to have such large text, it's not like eBay, there's no priority viewing like the extra surrounds and such you can have. We can read the standard stuff just fine... And after a few years in forums, large stylized text often means spambot.

·
Registered
07 impreza
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry for the large text I didn't know it was an issue never been on these before I am a single mom going to med school and working full time Christmas just passed and my only means of transportation and putting food in my sons belly just broke and I am broke and need some help trying to fix my car by myself....I don't have $2000 to take it to the shop to get it fixed....I thought it would show that it was of more urgency to put it in large print and once again im sorry I only wish krotch was nice about it like you ....... now as far as what was replaced when my clutch went I have to get back to you on that tomorrow if that's ok. My uncle did it and he is out towing cars right now. If it is the bearing can I fix it myself?

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
You can fix the bearing yourself... But it won't be easy, quick, or simple. It basically involves doing an entire clutch job again, dropping the transmission from the car.

You were right, by the way- the clutch should force the fork back against the slave cylinder and retract (compress) it. Best guess from the symptoms you described imply the throwout bearing or pressure plate failure. Those parts are almost always replaced along with the clutch disc so they won't fail later.

·
Registered
'00 2.5rs coupe
1,628 Posts
A clutch job should not cost 2000 dollars, shop or not. It's a 4 hour job on a Subaru (if that) if they know what they're doing.

Why don't you post where you are? A lot of us here wrench on our own stuff and I'm sure there are people that would be willing to do the work for a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
00 rs silver
141 Posts
my problem was when it got stuck to the floor. turns out that it was the Clutch master cylinder. also when replacing either the master/slave, replace the the clutch hose that's next to the Slave. reason why it's because the hose is made of rubber and they start deteriorate from the inside causing the master cylinder to fail prematurely. i Say that because i replaced the master cylinder and worked but 3 months later it failed again. i noticed that the master cylinder reservoir was tint black. only thing is that i did not bleed the master correctly so it resulted a failure causing the air to shred the hose internally.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
my problem was when it got stuck to the floor. turns out that it was the Clutch master cylinder. also when replacing either the master/slave, replace the the clutch hose that's next to the Slave. reason why it's because the hose is made of rubber and they start deteriorate from the inside causing the master cylinder to fail prematurely. i Say that because i replaced the master cylinder and worked but 3 months later it failed again. i noticed that the master cylinder reservoir was tint black. only thing is that i did not bleed the master correctly so it resulted a failure causing the air to shred the hose internally.
Previously she mentioned that the slave cylinder actuated and forced the fork back, but the fork did not return the slave. It would return if manually pressed, so the hydraulics sound fine.

·
Registered
00'RS/02' WRX stgEleventy
2,144 Posts
:(:(:screwy:I have an 07 impreza with clutch issues...... it wont go into gear when the
car is on only when its off. The pedal goes to the floor and I have to pull it back up. I replaced the clutch about 3 years ago and the new clutch has 17,000 miles on it. I was driving when it happened, no warning signs or smells. I was driving and went to put it in second gear and it would not go in. I just had it towed to my house and need it fixed asap!!!!! Please any input would be great!!!!
You blew the master cylinder most likely.. easy fix..

Sent from an other planet (Tapatalk)

·
Registered
07 impreza
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ty guys for your help my dad and I are gonna replace it together...lol this is gonna be fun!!! I just ordered a whole new clutch and haines book....if I got to drop the trany for a throughout bearing I mine as well do the clutch again while it apart right? If we run into any issues I know where to go to get some help!!!
TORQUE im in Cheektowaga ny if that helps....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts