Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Reformed Ricer
07 STI, 07 STI, 10 Forester, 03 WRX
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do i get the RS from AWD to RWD?

i know this s complicated, stupid, and really unecessary, but i want to know whats involved.

thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
96 GF4 " Bruiser"
3,542 Posts
DCCD? or whatever the varaible trans is called

If you just take the axles out it wouldnt drive the rear wheels at all since the front axles have least ammount of tourque. Why would you want it to make it rwd anyways?

·
project blackbird.
'01 RS, '81 Fiat Spider
3,396 Posts
DCCD? or whatever the varaible trans is called

If you just take the axles out it wouldnt drive the rear wheels at all since the front axles have least ammount of tourque. Why would you want it to make it rwd anyways?
The viscous center diff can only send so much torque to any two wheels. If you disconnect the front driveshafts with the stock diff in place, the car won't go anywhere because the torque will choose the path of least resistance, which is now those front shafts.

To convert to RWD you have to take out the front axles AND weld the center diff to send all the power to the rear wheels. There was an piece in SCC a few years back on a rear-drive drift bugeye built by some guy in Cali. He used a center diff that was modified for him by Design Craft Fabrication. If you can find them, they can probably either sell you the diff you need, or help you figure out how to weld up the stock one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts