Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 impreza coupe, 03 WRX wagon
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...but my friend decided to look into a mod that's a bit over the top, and Im of course his research guy, his mechanical guy, his bodywork guy.........

If any of you have seen the fully loaded BMW e32 wagon, youll see the very large vista roof that expands across the front and rear seats. For some strange odd reason my friend wants to do this to his bugeye sc build...

Now he has the sedan, not the wagon. Im wondering if the roof will be able to handle that, and at what cost. Again, not my idea.. if anything id rather see a targa design :clap:So yea if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions my ears are open, so-to-speak

·
Premium Member
2.5RS
8,447 Posts
The roof was designed without a moonroof for strength and rigidity in mind, and for Rollover purposes.

It's a bad idea imo.

Do a JDM Roof Vent instead

·
Registered
99WhiteMock22B/10TeslaRoadster
6,659 Posts
What Gary said, Subaru specifically made cars with or without roofs for a reason. On the bugeye, there is a bar that runs right across where a roof would hence no factory option roof.

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,172 Posts
Throw a cage into the mix and you'll regain any lost rigidity but it will defeat the purpose all together.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
The roof was designed without a moonroof for strength and rigidity in mind, and for Rollover purposes.

It's a bad idea imo.

Do a JDM Roof Vent instead
Yeah, because a roof vent is the same thing as a glass roof.... I agree that the idea of putting a panaromic glass roof on a car as an aftermarket change is a horrible idea, but c'mon, a roof vent? Better answer is tell the guy that his friend needs to buy a car with a glass roof if that's what he wants, it will be cheaper than trying to retrofit something like that.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For some reason, he likes the idea of overdoing things.... he told me today, THE DAY BEFORE going to the shop for engine bay paint/body that he wants to attempt a suicide hood setup -.-

i want the fozzie giant glass roof in my gf. it would be awesome.
I wanted to do this to my legacy wagon, it made me think of the ford explorers in the first jurassic park movie :lol:

Ill tell him that appempting something like that would be a horrible idea, structurally speaking.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Find a new friend.

:lol:

I kiddd
Haha dont get me wrong, I love the kid like a brother, but hes like a monkey with a machine gun, he knows how to pull the trigger but cant aim at a target for anything. When we picked up the shell over the summer, he wanted to build it as a track car, boosted, and then he changed his mind and wanted it as a daily driver, and now a showcar, and thanks to omiotek's build thread, he now wants to take a crack at supercharging. His hearts in the right place, saving a scooby and all but he needs to stick with one plan :facepalm:

·
95 Coupe, 95 Sedan & 95 Wagon
12,408 Posts
Hey, we all start somewhere! I didn't even know where my turbo was when I first bought my STi :lol:

Now, I cannot stop touching all 3 of my Subarus

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so much dirty thought inducing statement.
And yet hes not wrong, I cant wait to get my hands on this fozzy once the deal follows through. Get some comfort touches in there and start playing with the impreza hardcore.

have fun with that George :naughty:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts