Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all:

I found a supercharger kit for Impreza from Taiwan.
It's call TG Supercharger. I personally called the boss of that company and he told me this kit is for EJ18 engine.

This kit has been install on a EJ18 and test. The quality is good according to the local magazine test drive about 27% of HP gain.
That would be (217hp :eek:)

If we want to install it onto EJ25, they have to develop some parts to fit EJ25 engine. The price would be around $4500 include everything and include installation as well (in Taiwan).

I don't know how much will it cost if we only want to buy the kit. Maybe around $3500 ~ $4000 I think.

Should I ask them to develop a kit for EJ25 ? What do you guys think ?

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
First, if they get the price closer to $3000, that would be better. And what does it include? Clutch, electronics, intercooler, any of that? And would that SC be big enough for the 2.5L engine? Might not be, since it was made for the 1.8L.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The picture of the unit doesn't look very high tech... :confused: I dunno about that one. Seems like a lot of money for a very uncertain product.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you guys read Chinese, you will be able to find tons more info on that site. There's even a modification forum answered by the company.
Also, I think the $4.5K is for custom-made work in which labour may or may not be included.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, labor is cheap in a lot of Asian countries. Eg: when car inspection comes in Hong Kong, ppl remove factory parts off the car, clean and spray them with glossy black paint, then put them back on to save over the cost of buying brand new parts. Been there, done that (I was an apprentics back then). Can't do that in N.A., don't you?
As for the cost of installing Tg, they said its about US$526 and takes only 1 day in their forum.

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS SRP '04 4STR-XT OBP
405 Posts
A B&D leaf blower has better designed vanes than the TG blower!

I wouldn't touch it!

:sunny:

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
938 Posts
Why would Taiwan make a sc for the EJ18?!? :confused: They have WRXs (& STi's I'd bet), so why bother?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, I think maybe bcuz some people could not afford the money for GC8 2.0 turbo so they buy Impreza 1.8 which comes with auto to save about US$10000 and tax.

Impreza 1.8 is quite a bargain for people who want the convenience of auto transmission. It looks almost the same with turbo GC8 instead of the hood but some dealers will give customers a GC8 turbo model hood.

However, if I were there, I would prefer buying a GC8 turbo instead of 1.8.

·
Registered
9 Posts
On their site, they mention around 0.5~0.6 bar which averages to 40% of hp and 50% of torque increase. The kit will come with everything including a fuel computer, extra set of injectors, bov with 0.2 bar reserve, and even a clutch. Yup, you can flick the switch and voila, instant power :D When you significant other drive you car, it will be an normal 2.5 RS.
This kit seems like very popular in Taiwan. It has even got the patent in there. In addition a local magazine, SpecR, validated their claim. Its more than some B&D vanes. Ppl should study more before making your conclusion.
Here is a pic on their site:

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I was in Taiwan last year, I saw a Impreza GT2.0 turbo. Looks just like the JDM Version 6 WRX. Never saw a 1.8 though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I guess it depends where you went as well. Some places may have more turbo GT than 1.8 n/a. BTW, the 1.8 Impreza is local made in Taiwan which is a perfect candidate for S/C.
I posted to their forum and their boss said plan is undertaking to sell their kits in U.S.
Well, let's hope...

·
Registered
89 Posts
normally i would be happy to see a supercharger kit specifically for my 1.8, but come on...a 16.41 0-400m?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My concern here is : The Impreza 1.8 is sold on Taiwan for about 2-3 years and there's already a SC kit for it. Although it may not be the best kit, at least, there IS one kit for 1.8.

However, the 2.5RS is sold in US for at least 3 years but there isn't any good kit availlable yet.

Why is it so hard to make one ? Or people in Taiwan are smarter ?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, there aren't many 1.8 out there. The Impreza 1.8 is not sold very well in Taiwan ( no more than 2k I think ) and later they released Impreza 2.0 GT turbo with a very good price.

"Basically" it's not legal to modify a car in Taiwan, even an aftermarket wing will bring you into trouble.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the first "Supercharged" RS !!

:cool:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Lots of RSes have been supercharged. ARG was one of the first, but there are many. The latest notable example is 5252, he's using a highly modified Rimmer kit and churning out some incredible power.

Templar's kit should be available shortly, anyway. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts