Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a 1998 Subaru Impreza WRX STI motor for my 1998 Subaru Impreza coupe, called in many shops and said “it’s a pain in the butt” swap but yet I want to do it and rebuild the motor, any suggestions on what I should do or any shops out here in Southern California that are willing to do the swap?

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,506 Posts
That engine will never pass emissions in the state of California, so it's going to be a track-only car.

IWire used to do ej20k wiring harness merges, maybe give them a call and see who they recommend

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright thanks! I’ll get back to you to keep you updated on what happens, going to give them a call first thing tomorrow in the morning!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That engine will never pass emissions in the state of California, so it's going to be a track-only car.

IWire used to do ej20k wiring harness merges, maybe give them a call and see who they recommend
Wanted to ask how much is it for the to do the wiring like a rough estimate

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,506 Posts
I went through Iwire so you can check out their pricelist here:

On top of that, I added DCCD, plus the Cluster option and also AVCS.

I also had to buy a WRX body harness, that was around $200.

Mailing my Impreza harness + the WRX harness was about $50, but I believe they cover the return postage.

I both pulled my dash harness and reinstalled the merged harness, that would probably be expensive in labor costs.

Now that about covers the wiring. You also have to consider that your engine has been sitting for a while, you'll want to do maintenance before installing it:

Timing Belt
Water Pump
All seals
Spark plugs + wires
Replacement sensors
Coilpack if it's cracked (JDM only)
Clutch
Etc

Your car will need some hardware too:
Fuel pump
Turbo crossmember
Some kind of exhaust welded up (remember, in California you have special restrictions on what exhaust can be used)
Brakes? Not strictly necessary, but recorded.

And so on.

It's gonna be expensive, and it's going to take a while. But most of us with these cars take 6months to multiple years to finish em. So you can spread out the money over time.

I'd also really encourage you to look into the process of what it takes to get the car BAR certified. Meaning so that it can get tabs and be driven on the street. Because an ej20k was never sold in the US and California won't allow it for that and other reasons.

An American 02-07 WRX or 04-07 STI can be swapped into your car, and can be made legal to drive on the streets as well. Plus they pass emissions, and the ECU is tunable, you can get parts for them at any dealer, etc. Lots of reasons to choose an American delivered Subaru engine.

They got rid of emissions testing in Washington where I live, and they don't have vehicle inspections, so you can pretty much swap anything into anything else up here. As a former Californian, it's a nice place to live as a car and gun enthusiast. ;)

Reactions: SoCoNoHa

·
Registered
38 Posts
I went through Iwire so you can check out their pricelist here:

On top of that, I added DCCD, plus the Cluster option and also AVCS.

I also had to buy a WRX body harness, that was around $200.

Mailing my Impreza harness + the WRX harness was about $50, but I believe they cover the return postage.

I both pulled my dash harness and reinstalled the merged harness, that would probably be expensive in labor costs.

Now that about covers the wiring. You also have to consider that your engine has been sitting for a while, you'll want to do maintenance before installing it:

Timing Belt
Water Pump
All seals
Spark plugs + wires
Replacement sensors
Coilpack if it's cracked (JDM only)
Clutch
Etc

Your car will need some hardware too:
Fuel pump
Turbo crossmember
Some kind of exhaust welded up (remember, in California you have special restrictions on what exhaust can be used)
Brakes? Not strictly necessary, but recorded.

And so on.

It's gonna be expensive, and it's going to take a while. But most of us with these cars take 6months to multiple years to finish em. So you can spread out the money over time.

I'd also really encourage you to look into the process of what it takes to get the car BAR certified. Meaning so that it can get tabs and be driven on the street. Because an ej20k was never sold in the US and California won't allow it for that and other reasons.

An American 02-07 WRX or 04-07 STI can be swapped into your car, and can be made legal to drive on the streets as well. Plus they pass emissions, and the ECU is tunable, you can get parts for them at any dealer, etc. Lots of reasons to choose an American delivered Subaru engine.

They got rid of emissions testing in Washington where I live, and they don't have vehicle inspections, so you can pretty much swap anything into anything else up here. As a former Californian, it's a nice place to live as a car and gun enthusiast. ;)
I feel like all of us who are doing an engine swap run into this dilemma. On one hand, you want the 8k redline, the avcs, and the smooth powerband of the non USDM engines. Then on the other hand...$. And ease of swap. Just so much easier to do a 257. You get more torque, more options to tune, and if you really wanted that 8k redline you can do it on a 257 anyway.

I keep going back and forth on it myself.

·
Premium Member
2015 WRX STI WRB
8,403 Posts
So I bought a 1998 Subaru Impreza WRX STI motor for my 1998 Subaru Impreza coupe, called in many shops and said “it’s a pain in the butt” swap but yet I want to do it and rebuild the motor, any suggestions on what I should do or any shops out here in Southern California that are willing to do the swap?
Suggestions? Sell the jdm motor and go get a usdm 2.5. It'll make your life much better.

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,506 Posts
This just popped up in the marketplace, an Iwire ej20k harness, for a 98 Impreza.

I still think you should go USDM, but that option is available.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts