Registered
'01 RS '06 WRX swapped
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Current Modifications:

Engine:

Silly "Short Ram" intake that doesn't really work properly
2006 WRX engine mounts
Unorthodox Racing underdrive crankshaft pulley (came with the car, I hate it)
Borla Unequal Length Headers
Custom 2.5" Stainless Steel catalytic converter delete section
2002 WRX Cat-Back exhaust

Driveline:
Kartboy Front Shifter Stay Bushings
Kartboy Rear Shifter Stay Bushings
TiC 5MT Shifter Linkage Update
TiC Shift 5MT Shifter Lever Pivot Bushings
TiC Rear Differential Mounting Bushings
2004 GD STI Rear Subframe
Kartboy Outrigger Bushings
Group N Transmission Mount

Suspension:
Group N Front Tophats
TiC Race Lateral Link Bushings
TiC Race Rear Trailing Arm Bushing
TiC Race Front Trailing Arm Bushing
2006 WRX Aluminum Forward Lateral Links

Tires:
225/50/16 Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS

Cosmetic:
Mudflappppz
"STI" Replica Fog Light Covers (from noTe)
Hellaaaaz
Rust

Future Modifications:
EJ255 swap from 2006 WRX
EJ255 with JE Forged Piston set over bore to 99.75mm
KingXP bearings main and rod. STDX on rod bearings
OE Gasket set
Air pump delete
Stage two tune/setup
Rust removal?

Org post:

Just purchased a 2001 2.5 RS 5MT today for 1600 bucks.

Needs a cylinder head and a few other bits and she is up and running.

...lets see where this goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
'01 RS '06 WRX swapped
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update! Got everything back together from the previous owner tearing it all apart. I think I set the timing a notch off so I'm throwing a P0341 code. I also noticed the diagnostic connectors (green plugs) were plugged in under the dash making all the relays click and the VSS codes come up. I'm wondering if this is the real reason the previous owner sold the car.

I'm still missing the cat section, both oxygen sensors, a rad fan, and the coolant bottle. Everything else is there but might not be working just great.

It also seems that it is leaking some sort of oil from where the block meets the trans. I'm thinking its either gear oil or motor oil. When I get some time on a lift I'll pull the trans and replace all the seals on it and the rear of the block.

·
Registered
'01 RS '06 WRX swapped
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice start. Is it lowered?
Came with H&R springs on it. When I took it for a spin they made a lot of pops and the ride quality wasn't great. I might swap them out for stock or check to see if the previous owner's install was bad.

Car isn't leaking oil, it seems to be the other side head gasket leaking, drove it for just a second today to back it into the garage and it was leaking again, got a good look and its coming from the rear of the cylinder head. I think it might be getting into the cylinders too. Going tomorrow to the dealer to pick up another headgasket and throw it on tomorrow. Makes it nice because I'm pretty sure the timing was slightly off so I have to get in there already.

I'm working with a friend who runs a local fab shop who mainly works on Nissan's but is trying to get into the Subaru market. Once I get a stock cat pipe he is going to start making some to sell.

He made one for someone locally with a GF.

·
Registered
'01 RS '06 WRX swapped
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damnit I hate shade tree mechanics.

Head bolts in the wrong place and the rear two were barely tight.

New headgasket incoming tomorrow and checking the oil pan. I also have a spare cylinder head sitting in the garage so I might use that instead of the one that was on the car.

·
Registered
'01 RS '06 WRX swapped
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update!

Car runs and drives great minus a few exhaust leaks.

Made it to the gas station to even out some year + old gas :p

·
Registered
'01 RS '06 WRX swapped
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been driving her for a bit, got the wheels balanced, cleaned it a bit more...etc etc.

The transmission is starting to whine but I think it is the rear diff. Looking for a replacement!

·
Registered
'01 RS '06 WRX swapped
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A lot has happened in two months.

New wheels and tires
Fixed rear diff whine, one of the "moustache" bar braces were bent, touching the bushing surround.
Installed Kartboy front and rear shifter stay bushings and TiC linkage, awesome! The old one was missing a bushing and rusty! Yuck!

Picked up a new radiator and fenders, will be installed soon.
Red mudflaps installed

RS25 stickers installed
New front suspension bits (stock camber bolt replacements etc.) are on their way from Subaru and will be installed soon.
Hella Supertones installed (I had to!)

Made a friend at work!

Went RallyX-ing and got my fog light covers installed thanks to noTe!

My old DD is being parted and sold soon so I'll be getting into more serious mods because a lot of monthly payments will be going away.

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
'01 RS '06 WRX swapped
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quick update, been hunting down some chassis problems. Just picked up an '05 STI rear subframe that has TiC rear subframe mount bushings. Going to add the diff carrier spacers. So this eliminates all of the old trashed bushings in the rear end of the car minus lateral link and trailing arm bushings. Should help with some of my problems :)

Hopefully will get it all in by next week.

·
Registered
'01 RS '06 WRX swapped
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Updates updates updates!

Picked up everything from a 2006 WRX to be swapped into the RS hopefully come summer time!

Recently hit a curb and gained +4 deg of positive camber in the rear right side. Trying to figure out whats broken, nothing is visually bent.

·
Registered
'01 RS '06 WRX swapped
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Obtained a used RR spindle/hub that had TiC bushings already installed in the trailing arm :woot:

I also got TiC lateral link bushings and my GD STI rear subframe with TiC diff bushings is going to go in here soon.

I guess I could upload some pictures :p

·
Registered
'01 RS '06 WRX swapped
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well progress on everything has been slow...

The welds on the passenger side trailing arm nuts broke so I had to cut into the floor panel to access the nuts on top. Not what I was planning on doing but works in the end.

Got aluminum WRX wagon length forward lateral links! (the other one is in the mail...)

TiC lateral link bushings!

...as the car sits...

Got a few parts for the WRX swap. Coolant reservoir that didn't come with my swap...

Paired ECU/Immobilizer/Key/Tumbler for a 06 WRX

and for a side project, a friend of mine who works at a pet store said they were getting rid of their old dog tag engraver...mini CNC you mean? :devil:

Hopefully I'll have the suspension out of the car tomorrow or the next day as I have friends in from out of town.

Attachments

·
Registered
'01 RS '06 WRX swapped
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some progress!

Got part of the rear suspension assembled!

-05 GD STI rear subframe (different rear differential mounting and solid mounting to body)
-06 WRX Aluminum forward lateral links
-Stock rear lateral links
-TiC Lateral link bushings
-TiC Rear differential mounting bushings

More to come!

Attachments

·
Registered
'01 RS '06 WRX swapped
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've waited a long time for the junk yard to come through with the other side hub assy but its either too cold or too busy for them to lift a finger for me.

I'm going to see if I can extract the lateral link bolt that is frozen into the hub and just reuse what I have.

·
Registered
'01 RS '06 WRX swapped
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Project "inexpensive" is getting expensive.

EJ255 is at the machine shop getting an overbore. Pistons just came and will be dropped off for a hone fit in the morning.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts