Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy GX 2.5i 2001
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have recently purchased an EJ20 motor that was going to be used on a dune buggy.

I would like to replace my current 1994 GL AWD EJ18 motor with the EJ20.

Unfortunately I have no history from which model vehicle the EJ20 came out of ,so :

Please assist with further identification:

EJ20
Throttle Body part number# RTR-60 35 0224
Injectors :FBJC100 000 0204
Spark waste(or temp throttle internal sensor?) is off centre to right of centre intake manufold.
Manufold is rough aluminium.
Rear top case :A885055
Rear mid case:447936443813
Intake manufold :20
Top case :EJ20
Front left case :305 EK
Rear top right case:304 EK
Timing belt :13028AA102

Having looked through many postings etc the only confirmation is that the motor is obviously SOHC and EJ20 -further more no other information has been found.

I really want to replace my EJ18e to this motor but would need further information in order to do the engine swop.

Any idea of the year of this type of engine manufactured?
Which vehicles and models this motor was used in :Forestor ,Legacy impreza etc -year.
Is this a phase 1 or 2 motor ?

Thank you in advance.

regards
Bradley

·
Registered
00 rs silver
141 Posts
but sometime the barcode sticker comes off over time. so its really difficult to determined. -_-

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks so much for all the feedback-yes the timing cover is missing and there are no other white stickers as in the case with my EJ18 in the vehicle.

I will try post pictures but would need to get photobucket or something else going as I am unable to loaad straight from my desktop .

Work on it right away .

Thanks

Bradley

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think that's an early ej201 Impreza/forester 00-02. Are the injectors missing? You will find that 00-01 RS 2.5 ecu will run that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks so much for the information.

At least it narrows my searching .

Yes the injectors are there : FBJC100 000 0204

So at least I know it is :
EJ20 SOHC phase 2 around 2000-2002

Is there a number after the "0" --g k etc or another digit I should be looking at .

Thanks all .

Any other information directly pertaining to this engine would be appreciated.

Thanks for the ECU information.

Currentl;y the only main difference I see between my EJ18 and this EJ20 is that sensor on the intake manuafolsd which my EJ18 does not have .

Any ballpark power specs on this motor.

Thanks all .

Bradlington

·
Registered
RS, GF, SSx2, STI GDB
692 Posts
Betting EJ201-EJ204, normally 135-145 HP, same torque. Correct on the phase 2, these are almost direct swaps to the RS 2.5 ( after you change out the manifold and a few sensors) about the same power as the EJ22 in the 99-01 impreza Wagons.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What other distinguishing characteristics are there to date the motor-or would a Subaru dealership be able to look it up .

Each time I have ordered parts from local dealership they insist on using the VIN number as reference.

Would the Subaru factory assist with the details if I contact them with the serial number ?

I also have a question in that is there anything else needed to put this EJ20 in regarding the flywheel etc ?

Should I be able to see a big improvement in power from EJ18 to EJ20 phase 2 motor?

Thanks

Bradley

·
Registered
2001 impreza
1 Posts
Ok, so I know this is a very old thread but I need help...

I recently traded into my first Subaru from a.........ford.....(cough cough)
Car is a 2001 Impreza 2.5rs..... Previous owner swapped the 2.5 for a supposedly jdm ej20.....Not to sure as to the accuracy to this other than knowing it is in fact a ej20. From whats been stated above Im almost positive it is phase 2... now with all that info 1. how can I tell if it is a jdm engine and 2. how would I go about getting parts for general maintenance... any and all info would be greatly appreciated!!

Also what can i expect in terms of reliability.. Ive read about the 2.5 gasket issues....
Anything I should look for.....
And last but not least..... would the original manual trans bolt up?

·
Registered
RS, GF, SSx2, STI GDB
692 Posts
Ok, so I know this is a very old thread but I need help...

1. how can I tell if it is a jdm engine and

2. how would I go about getting parts for general maintenance... any and all info would be greatly appreciated!!

Also what can i expect in terms of reliability.
Ive read about the 2.5 gasket issues....
Anything I should look for.....
And last but not least.....
would the original manual trans bolt up?

1. Unless it has markings to show it was a JDM engine it can be hard to prove. The block should be marked EJ20 and it should be a dual port exhaust manifold if it is an EJ 201-204. The original RS engine is marked as EJ25 and has a dual port manifold. Not sure what the EJ222 was marked as, but it has a single port manifold. I am pretty sure (not 100%) that most of the non turbo phase 2 jdm engines were 2 liters and dual port.

2. I am pretty sure all of the parts from a RS 2.5 engine will work. Short of the bore/ stroke of the cylinders most of the engine parts are the similar.

The USDM 2.5's had the bad head gaskets. I don't think the JDM engines suffered the same fate.

The transmission should be a fit as Subaru's are like Legos

1 - 15 of 15 Posts