Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 OBS blue ridge pearl
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to see if anyone has experience with raceland ultimos. Just got mine and the right rear is making a clunking noise. I called raceland and they said to tighten 4 screws with Allen keys but I see no Allen key screws on the mount to tighten. Please no haters who haven't rode racelands.

·
Banned
1993 Nissan Skyline GTR32
200 Posts
I've never had coilovers before, so, I bought Racelands for my GC8 and for my 02' WRX and goddam were they "tight." However, the price is kinda annoying for a brand like theirs..

Anyway, look at the picture Torque posted. Your front struts should have two "ROUND" looking 'screws' on the left and right side of the pillow ball. INSIDE the 'round screw' you'll see groves to insert your allen key. However, I used a T-25 torx and a wrench to tighten mine really good, I wouldn't recommend hand tightening, these screws "adjust" your camber. Negative camber = strut pushes towards engine bay. Positive camber = strut pulled away from engine. Choose yo' camber-wants, and tighten them.

On a side note, your coils shouldn't be clunking or rattling because of those screws, but then again, if it's hand tight like they send them, and you didn't even tighten them, then your struts are willy-nilly whilst driving..

·
Registered
'00 2.5rs coupe
1,628 Posts
I've never had coilovers before, so, I bought Racelands for my GC8 and for my 02' WRX and goddam were they "tight." However, the price is kinda annoying for a brand like theirs..

Anyway, look at the picture Torque posted. Your front struts should have two "ROUND" looking 'screws' on the left and right side of the pillow ball. INSIDE the 'round screw' you'll see groves to insert your allen key. However, I used a T-25 torx and a wrench to tighten mine really good, I wouldn't recommend hand tightening, these screws "adjust" your camber. Negative camber = strut pushes towards engine bay. Positive camber = strut pulled away from engine. Choose yo' camber-wants, and tighten them.

On a side note, your coils shouldn't be clunking or rattling because of those screws, but then again, if it's hand tight like they send them, and you didn't even tighten them, then your struts are willy-nilly whilst driving..
Demand drives price. I remember when Racelands first hit the market for BMW e36 ... I bought a set for 260 shipped. Now they're like 380.

ps. I loved them on my BMW and wouldn't hesitate to buy them for the Suby either. Put 21 thousand very hard miles on them (snow, hard driving, potholes, slammed, raised .. you name it) ... they were perfect. The car is still on them to my knowledge 15k after I sold it. The spring rates could have been a little better for that car, but hey ... for the price I was not complaining.

·
Registered
96 OBS blue ridge pearl
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see them ...

photo 5 by SPECS91, on Flickr
I know what your saying but those aren't ultimos unless they come in a different color and my rears don't have camber plates with small Allen holes in between em like my fronts as you can see in this pic.

·
Banned
200 Posts
^ Wait, is your rear struts rattling or the front? This is why you're suppose to include more info when you post. If your REAR are rattling, then no, there are NO camber adjusments. But to my understanding, you'll have negative camber (a little) back there anyway. You can only adjust the front camber.

If the rear are rattling, you have to raise the car, take the tires off (ofc), and then hand tighten the first gold ring closest to the spring by hand so that the springs don't move up and down (no play in the springs). However, they (springs) should be able to spin when turned by your hand in either direction. If it doesn't spin or turn by hand, you've tightened the first gold lock too much.

When your first gold ring / lock is tightened and the spring is turnable, you then adjust the ride hieight via twisting the black lower mounting that is attached by the 2 17" bolts and nuts. Put the two bolts in, and then tighten the 2nd gold lock ring with the wrench-thingy given. Hold the top ring with 1 wrench so it doesn't move, and twist / tighten the second lower gold lock ring to the one above it as tight as you can..

You don't understand what I am saying or can't do this, unfortunately you'll have to get someone to do this.. instructions came w/ it and it was fairly simple.. Unless the clunking is due to a bad strut / shock that they may have sent, which is possible.

·
Registered
96 OBS blue ridge pearl
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ Wait, is your rear struts rattling or the front? This is why you're suppose to include more info when you post. If your REAR are rattling, then no, there are NO camber adjusments. But to my understanding, you'll have negative camber (a little) back there anyway. You can only adjust the front camber.

If the rear are rattling, you have to raise the car, take the tires off (ofc), and then hand tighten the first gold ring closest to the spring by hand so that the springs don't move up and down (no play in the springs). However, they (springs) should be able to spin when turned by your hand in either direction. If it doesn't spin or turn by hand, you've tightened the first gold lock too much.

When your first gold ring / lock is tightened and the spring is turnable, you then adjust the ride hieight via twisting the black lower mounting that is attached by the 2 17" bolts and nuts. Put the two bolts in, and then tighten the 2nd gold lock ring with the wrench-thingy given. Hold the top ring with 1 wrench so it doesn't move, and twist / tighten the second lower gold lock ring to the one above it as tight as you can..

You don't understand what I am saying or can't do this, unfortunately you'll have to get someone to do this.. instructions came w/ it and it was fairly simple.. Unless the clunking is due to a bad strut / shock that they may have sent, which is possible.
I stated right rear about 3 times but I set the spring preload correctly and adjust the ride height correctly also, and my camber is set at 0, I talked to raceland and their sending me a new rear damper and top mount.

·
Banned
200 Posts
^ What they should do is send you a coplete new strut, spring, tophat / complete assembly, why the **** should you have to **** around w/ the top hat and waste time and labor cause they gave you a shittyy part? I'd complain if I were you.. but, hey, atleast you're getting a replacement. G'luck.

·
Registered
96 OBS blue ridge pearl
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same thing I told em 98gc8rs I was like why should I be trying to fix it and find the problem when I installed everything correctly they gave me the run around for about 2 weeks. But hopefully these new parts will solve the problem

1 - 10 of 10 Posts