Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 RS Now with more interior!
20,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Brian from iWire here. We put together a blog post with just about everything needed to swap a WRX into a RS. In our case it was a JDM 2001-2004 EJ205 into a 99 RS. Bucky Lasek allowed us to swap his car so we could create resources for you guys. If you need help with the wiring, we're here for you. If you need help with the mechanical, we recommend calling a local shop or utilizing the fabulous RS25 forum.

Here is a link to the full process - How To Do a Subaru WRX Swap into a RS

Here's a link to the budget and part numbers we used - Bucky's EJ205 Swapped RS Budget and Part Numbers

Here's a link to the full video series on the Buck Yeah Channel - Bucky Lasek WRX into RS - Swap in a Weekend

You're welcome in advance LOL :)

·
Registered
1993 FWD Impreza Racecar, 2002 WRX Donor car for the Racecar!
3,198 Posts
These vids were amazing! Watched them all as they came out. Encouraged me to go with the swap route when I found a 02 Bugeye donor car around the corner for cheap.

BTW, do you have a separate section or vids yet for California certification? I have some questions about that, especially in regards to the Evap system.

·
Registered
2000 2.5rs coupe
1,002 Posts
Awesome guide guys, Bucky's Car truly is a great build.

These vids were amazing! Watched them all as they came out. Encouraged me to go with the swap route when I found a 02 Bugeye donor car around the corner for cheap.

BTW, do you have a separate section or vids yet for California certification? I have some questions about that, especially in regards to the Evap system.
I did an 02 wrx swap into my 2000 RS that got CA BAR certified sticker back in '13. Fast Forward 2019, car got wrecked, bought my car back. Bought another RS and just finished swapping everything over few months ago. Waiting on paint before I go back for another BAR sticker.

My advice is keep everything on the engine intact as much as possible and run hardware and route hoses as oem as possible. State refs are real sticklers but once you pass that I've passed my biannual smog with a tune, carb intake, and grimmspeed 3-port ebcs.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
My advice is keep everything on the engine intact as much as possible and run hardware and route hoses as oem as possible. State refs are real sticklers but once you pass that I've passed my biannual smog with a tune, carb intake, and grimmspeed 3-port ebcs.
Thats pretty much the plan, put everything in stock and run it for BAR. Then mods later.

I've got to figure out the Evap though, considering its a 93 its not a straight swap with that. CARB rules via 2018 state Evap systems can remain from the previous chassis, but IDK what the ref is going to say if I figure out a way to use the canister/tank. Much rather do that than swapping in the heavier tank and equipment from the WRX though...

·
Registered
2000 2.5rs coupe
1,002 Posts
I used my RS canister and tank. He said that it was perfectly ok, unless 93 is plumbed differently. I would say the canister is more important, tank definitely shouldn't matter, just swap fuel pump, but keep the proper fuel level float for your tank. Once your certified, CA basically sees your car as a 2002 wrx, so really you just gotta make sure all the components are there and plumbed up like factory. So if wrx has a canister then you gotta make sure you have a canister thats all.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I used my RS canister and tank. He said that it was perfectly ok, unless 93 is plumbed differently. I would say the canister is more important, tank definitely shouldn't matter, just swap fuel pump, but keep the proper fuel level float for your tank. Once your certified, CA basically sees your car as a 2002 wrx, so really you just gotta make sure all the components are there and plumbed up like factory. So if wrx has a canister then you gotta make sure you have a canister thats all.

This is the rule I was mentioning. I think I just need to find and talk to a ref somehow to see what they will say... I don't know if Its possible to get the swap to run without a CEL for not having the matching EVAP system and without reflashing the ECU.

·
Registered
2000 2.5rs coupe
1,002 Posts
Edit: Idk why i started talking about fuel lines

That's probably best to ask the ref who will do the testing. They all seem to have their preferred way for certain things. And yeah I mainly meant just have a canister as opposed to a car that wasn't equipped with one.

Goodluck with your swap, hopefully an i-wire harness should already have all that considered to be CEL free

1 - 8 of 8 Posts