Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
V3 RA Brighton my96
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok first off, I know this is a "newb" question but don't talk shit, were not on nasioc here. That's why rs25 is way better is because people help each other!

Anyway, I want to start off in rally. Not rallycross. So I'm looking at the cal rally season next year. And its bullshit. First off I need My RallyCar (formerly RallyAmerica) license, no biggie. Then they want me to get my cal club license. Then not only that, it's around 600$ per race!? WtF.

I just want to rally. Not pro, just haul ass on a course and have some fun. But just racing the novice class is about 15000$ in fees alone. That's not including building your car to specs.

So my question is, how the hell do you get started in rally without being rich?

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
^Think I'm going to do the same. Just saw a 9 month old PSA about a meet in hershey pa where it costs 40$ if you don't have a license to race.

Beats the hell out of the couple grand it costs otherwise. Then again I MAY never track my car, I'd like to do at least 1 drag race to see how the ole EG33 does ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
You should check out Dirtyimpreza.com, you'll find some good info there.

Personally I was aiming that way, but it's too expensive the route I started to go, so I'm going to aim for autox/track days till I can comfortably afford to break my car :)
I was going to recommend the same site.

Rally is expensive. Plain and simple.

Sent from my Droid

·
Registered
V3 RA Brighton my96
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But there has to be places to rally for cheaper rather than running these huge events. Isn't there like any outlaw rallies. Where you don't have to be a member of anything?
I know in motocross When my AMA license ran out I always used to just race outlaw races for 1/4 of the entry fee. But that was in PA. I live in so cal now and have no idea where to start looking

·
Registered
V3 RA Brighton my96
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I'd rather pay and have someone who have half an idea of what their doing, than to go to a random 'rally event' and have some assclown total my car.
Haha very true.

I don't think I'm gonna rally anyway because I just spent all that time doing a swap. And RallyCar says you have to race NA your first year. (unless it changed, when they were RallyAmerica that's the way it was)

·
www.jackstalk.com
‘98 RS, 911 Cab, CT6 TT, Escalade ESV
5,650 Posts
RS22b(billy) and rallycarperson(mark) are both local people in my area that compete in stage rally. I'm sure either one of them would be happy to answer questions if you PMd them :D

·
Registered
1 dead RS, 1 '06 WRX, 1 '91 SS
1,089 Posts
Again. Expensive. Entry fees, food, gas, parts, unforeseen expenses, etc. A weekend of rally can set even a budget-minded team back $2k-$3k alone easy.

In a nutshell, to get started, most will recommend go to your first rally and volunteer to work it. It's the best way to understand how a rally works. You'll also get a much better understanding of what you're getting yourself into. Start getting your face out there with the teams. If you can turn a wrench, try to find a spot crewing for a team.

If you want to race, buy a car first. Don't build. I say that and my RS is sitting in my garage stripped and partially seam welded. But the quickest way to get to a stage is to buy a car.

And you are correct. You have to start out NA. Either in G2 or Open Light (With Rally-America). I'm fuzzy on NASA's rules, but trust me, you want to start out in an underpowered car anyways. You'll learn eleventybillion times more about how to drive if you start out slow. Learn to drive a slow car fast and you'll be golden.

As for "outlaw" rallies, you could do hillclimbs or rallysprints. But with any sanctioning body, you'll usually need a license.

That's how to get started, in a nutshell. The rally community is, in general, very helpful. Get your foot in the door by going to a rally and working it. With a tight budget, that's the best way to do it if you want to get the most out of rally. You'll be amazed at the people you meet and the good times you have. I have met some of the most amazing people I know through rally. Again, the community is very close-knit. Once you're involved in rally, you're part of the family.

·
Registered
09 Legacy spec.B + 01 2.5RS
476 Posts
Damn. Yea so it is expensive haha.
Well we should just start meets in the deserts/backwoods and have our own little rallys haha. It'll be fun and cheap
And incredibly, insanely dangerous. Even with the fairly strict requirements, attention to safety, course planning, course workers, safety gear, licensing, etc drivers still die in crashes in rally. Doing what you're proposing is not only illegal, but dangerous to you, everyone else involved, and any poor person who just happens to be in the same area.

Do not do this.

There is a ton of work that goes into a rally which is why it's so expensive. Counties are closing roads, course workers are monitoring intersections, route planners are making sure paths are safe and hazards along them are marked and noted in route books. On top of that you have scrutineers checking your car's safety gear and fitness for operation. You have a radio network on stage, emergency medical crews on standby, sweep/recovery vehicles with them.

Keep it on the track. If you can't afford it, don't make someone else pay with their life so you can have fun.

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS-T srp sedan
2,732 Posts
Rally requieres a lot of money even for production class stock car with saftey equip (cage etc)

Running a rally event isn't cheap so the entrance fees are around $1000 for some around my area.

Gas/tires/travel/damages/licenses.

I mean if you can get a decent car and cage it. do a few a year it might be feesable for you.

For me...I might just save up for 10 years and spend the 10 grand and enter the Targa Newfoundland rally one day. :p

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
Sideways has this one. Start out volunteering to be a corner worker. Get to a few local rallies and spend some time in the pits, learn what's going on. Then find a team near you and start volunteering to work on their pit crew, they're always looking for more volunteers, and you usually get paid in food and whatever random t-shirts are given out by the sponsors.

Then once you're in the community and involved and everyone knows your name, you can start to try and find a ride. Keep in mind, there are 10,000 other people looking for the same thing, so it's pretty rare. Hell, even volunteer to co-drive a few, that's how my buddy Ben got in, and he's been to WRC's now (Mexico) and Dakar. All he has to pay for is his own safety gear (helmet, fire suit, etc.). Everything else is supplied by the team.

If you're looking to start your own team from the ground up, then frankly you probably wont be driving. You'll be too busy shaking hands and kissing asses of all those people on the side of the car, to be able to work on the car or drive it. If you get lucky and find someone willing to just fork over $10,000 to some kid with a dream, then the real legwork of finding a rally car with a build book (specialstage.com) and putting together a crew and other sponsors and spare parts and tires and food and lodging for everyone and support trucks and entry fees and tech...

Rally isn't cheap. Rally isn't easy. That's why everyone wants to do it, it's hard!

Rally-x on the other hand is a good way to get started learning some of the skills you need. I'll continue this post when I get time, break's over! :p

·
Registered
1995 WRX 2015 F150
1,886 Posts
Go to the ATM. Withdraw $1000. Light the money on fire. If you are ok with that, go back get another thousand and light that on fire. If you're still fine with it, then maybe you are ready to think about running a rally car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.