Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
MY16 Impreza Sport Limited
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to Install a Cold Air Intake (CAI) into your 00-01 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS.
Many people and the instructions to my INJEN CAI states that you must remove the front bumper. not true.

Step One: Remove all parts from box, be sure that all the parts and hardware are there.

Step Two: Remove all stock intake parts, pipes, hoses, air box,etc...

Step Three: Loosen lug nuts of the wheel on the same side as the intake. Then jack the car and remove the wheel.

Step Four: Remove the wheel well. This will reveal the inside of the fender.

Step Five: Install the first half of your cold air intake onto the intake manifold, then install the hoses.

Step Six: [this is the fun part] Install the cone filter to the second half of the intake piping, then run the piping through the fender and up to the engine bay through the hole in the side of the engine bay.( Note: the other half of the intake will be in the same relative place, where the second half will come up to.) Its also helpful to have someone help you with this step.

Step Seven: Tighten all the clamps connecting the two pipes.

Step Eight: Reinstall wheel well, and wheel.

This install should only take you approx. 30-40min.

·
Registered
sold it to Susie the Subie
3,233 Posts
Nice tip, but I've never heard of anyone having a hard time
with a CAI. The man who does have a hard time with that
probobly shouldn't be around a wrench. Nice tips tho, primarily
avoiding removing the bumper. Now that's just mad.

·
Registered
2.5 RS Impreza, black
39 Posts
I was just wondering, our cold air intake is significantly shorter then yours, the cone only comes up to about where the stock box used to be? Ive been looking for a way to secure/ install it properly since right now we have it on with bailing wire :facepalm: would we need to get a longer pipe then some sort of rubber connector? (i know this is an old diy, but it was the only one that came up in my search, and I didnt think i needed my own topic)

here is a pic of the cold air intake currently

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
Nice tip, but I've never heard of anyone having a hard time
with a CAI. The man who does have a hard time with that
probobly shouldn't be around a wrench. Nice tips tho, primarily
avoiding removing the bumper. Now that's just mad.
Try putting in a Injen CAI in a wagon fender... more then a PITA! Fits like a glove in the wider sedan fender.

·
Registered
A Blue RS
2,975 Posts
I was just wondering, our cold air intake is significantly shorter then yours, the cone only comes up to about where the stock box used to be? Ive been looking for a way to secure/ install it properly since right now we have it on with bailing wire :facepalm: would we need to get a longer pipe then some sort of rubber connector? (i know this is an old diy, but it was the only one that came up in my search, and I didnt think i needed my own topic)

here is a pic of the cold air intake currently
That looks like a short air ram not a cai
- crash

·
Registered
A Blue RS
2,975 Posts
I've looked it up and I agree. Now to figure out what a sri is compared to a cai and which is better. Thank you for the help on that :)
I belive they have the same lower end loss and higher end gain just the sri also has the bad issue ofsuking hot air as I just blew head gaskets not so long ago I wouldn't do it

- crash

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
Wow.....this thread was bumped from thed dead!!! Almost three years old

Better then a new one, eh?

You will have a bigger low-end torque loss with a CAI (all the length of the tubing) + the cahnce of flooding and 'hydro lock'. SRI you will not have to worry about 'Hydro-Lock' and yes it does pull warmer air... I figured since I live in Oregon 'land of the rain', I didn't want the CAI.

·
Registered
2.5 RS Impreza, black
39 Posts
Better then a new one, eh?

You will have a bigger low-end torque loss with a CAI (all the length of the tubing) + the cahnce of flooding and 'hydro lock'. SRI you will not have to worry about 'Hydro-Lock' and yes it does pull warmer air... I figured since I live in Oregon 'land of the rain', I didn't want the CAI.
Scoobydad- sorry for the threadnomancy

Crash- you mean to say a sri resulted in you blowing your heads because of hot air? We have the hood scoop on our hood opened (we took off the metal backing) would this make a difference?

OBS- yeah like your sig. says ;) we get quite a bit of rain and snow here in the winter, and just a few months ago the whole place flooded, so I guess a CAI isn't gonna fly. If you have a SRI installed on your car, would you mind PMing me some pictures of it's set-up? Ours was put in by a buddie of my husbands a few years back, and it was jimmy rigged at best.

·
Registered
A Blue RS
2,975 Posts
Crash- you mean to say a sar resulted in you blowing your heads because of hot air? We have th hood scoop on our hood opened (we took off the metal backing) would this make a difference?

OBS- yeah like your sig. says ;) we get quite a bit of rain and snow here in the winter, and just a few months ago the whole place flooded, so I guess a CAI isn't gonna fly. If you have a SAR installed on your car, would you mind PMing me some pictures of it's set-up? Ours was put in by a buddie of my husbands a few years back, and it was jimmy rigged at best.
No I mean the more heat the more the chances of something going worng heat is the enemy in the summer it can cause some horrible things like my headgaskets blowing

Obs wouldn't you have to have the vent above the sar so that the air going in would be anything other than hot? And couldn't that also cause the same issue?

- crash

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
If you have a SRI installed on your car, would you mind PMing me some pictures of it's set-up? Ours was put in by a buddie of my husbands a few years back, and it was jimmy rigged at best.

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
Obs wouldn't you have to have the vent above the sar so that the air going in would be anything other than hot? And couldn't that also cause the same issue?

- crash
The argument over 20-30 degrees I think is a lame one between CAI and SRI. There is a hole that is uncapped where the CAI is supposed to pass through... it may help some (who knows). It's 100-107 degrees here on quite a few summer days and I have had no issues. The SRI was NOT responsible for your head gaskets!

·
Registered
2.5 RS Impreza, black
39 Posts
Nw- That is a sick looking set up you've got. What is that carbon fiber box thingy?
Also, it's great to hear that the SRI won't affect the heads. (since we're dropping in a new engine, I was worried for a bit there)

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
Wow NW, how do you keep your engine bay so clean?
Simple Green while warm (not hot). Cover air filter with baggie. Hose it down with a strong spray. Spray the hell out of while it is wet with Armor All. Go to bed... Wipe down with a dry rag in the AM. Done.

Girlie: It's just a MAF cover (pure 'bling').

1 - 18 of 18 Posts