Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
96 Impreza LX
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to swap out rear speakers and recover the parcel shelf. But no bending the shelf will allow it to get out from under the c pillar. Really annoyed how a easy project has turned into an all day event. seems with my subaru versus my old scirocco, i tend to break more clips on the subaru that i ever did on all the vw's i've had. The c pillar i don't want to remove it without knowing what's behind it. Seems each time I try and remove something I break a part of it. and with all the notes on for sale items about clips there or not, seems it's a common issue. I'm very handy with trim but this cars interior pieces are made of peanut brittle.

i'd like to be able to remove it but can't see the clips or how it's fastened to the body. Tried googling pics and videos and no dice. hoping someone knows the best route for getting the bottom end out without breaking it. I'll need to remove all the headliner pieces to do the alcantara treatment but just want to replace some factory speakers that are past blown for now.

hook a brother up!!

peace.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
I replaced the speakers on my rear deck recently. I didn't take the piece off at all. I simply lifted it up and worked under it. I was going to pull it off, but stupid thing is tucked under the C pillar trim, so I didn't waste my time. Mine wasn't clipped in place, from what I can tell. Just tucked under the trim to keep it from popping out.

·
Registered
96 Impreza LX
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i tried that. I bowed the center and tried for hours to get it out from under the c pillars. now I have 2 divots on each side from trying to get them out via bowing the center and pulling it out. I also have all the clips on mine which further complicates it.

there has to be a way to get the bottom of the c pillars pulled free without breaking them. The door panels come off pretty easy with those clips by just pulling firmly. But felt cracking and creaking on the passenger c pillar when pulling on it. Even tried my trim tools and no dice. a pic of the back side of the c pillar panel showing the mounting points would be helpful.

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
No, I didn't pull it out. I just bowed the center and worked under it. Was enough room to swap speakers.

·
Registered
00'RS/02' WRX stgEleventy
2,144 Posts
The trim pulls directly towards the oppisite side of the car amd SUCKS to get off and back on..

I've simply flexed the rear deck up in the middle till I got one side out to keep from removing the trim often (car audio guy)

Sent from an other planet (Tapatalk)

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
I know someone here trashed theirs, cause the back of it was glued into the rear windshield. Probably had the rear windshield replaced at some time in the car's life and they installers weren't paying attention.

·
Registered
01 RS
170 Posts
HA! That was my problem, glued in to the back window a little bit. I managed to get it out without damage and without removing the c pillar stuff. Was a bit of a pain but it came out, and went back in without much trouble.

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Ya, someone else had theirs glued in to the back window, so they just tore it to shreds to get it out.

I kind of want to remove mine and replace it with a sheet of aluminum.

·
Registered
96 Impreza LX
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mine was stuck to the bottom seam of the rear window but trying to shimmy it out i was able to free it from there. Just getting it out from under the c pillar has proved tricky. Been trying to get some pics of the back side of the c pillar plastic to see what kind of clips are there. That would help to see positions and how robust they are for pulling, etc...

We got a few inches of snow last night so i'm not working on getting that out now. Hope someone might have some more info on them.

peace.

·
Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,264 Posts
On the sedan, i was able to pull the parcel shelf forward and down along where the back seat would go w/o bending it.

I think I had to sacrifice a clip or two on the far edges to get it to slide under the C-pillar trim, but I've done it on both of my sedan RSs w/o issue.

The speakers I chose were a bit large basket-wise, so I had to cut out those metal plates as well to make them fit.

Got magnet?

-- Dave

·
Registered
96 Impreza LX
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey, you have the same garage door I do. I'll have to see if sliding it works.

on a side note, did you get the collar in preparation to do the rear wiper conversion? that is one i'm going to do if I can find factory wiring and of course the window glass. also need to make sure that a sedan can use the glass opposed to just coupes. But i'll start with some speakers and collect parts for that one over time. with the snow today I could have used the rear wiper.

are your c pillars black? that will be another mod i'm doing as soon as the weather warms up a bit. But if I can't figure out how to get the interior plastics off, i'm going to be in real trouble.

Thanks for posting pics my friend. Seems those woofers would sound pretty sweet in there. Always dig peoples mods and haven't seen free air subs too often. Being my car is pretty solid, the trunk could make a decent box and push some nice bass. I'm doing the bazooka tube i've had for a number of years. Gives me a decent bass note and doesn't gobble up too much trunk space. Plus, I kind of live in a dicey area and need to make my stereo look as stock as possible if I want to keep it. Some good looking speakers would not last too long in my neighborhood.

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Sedan or coupe, they use the same glass. Essentially everything is the same except the items where the doors are at.

·
Ex-Mooderator
3,264 Posts
hey, you have the same garage door I do. I'll have to see if sliding it works.
Aah, I don't live there anymore though, lol.

on a side note, did you get the collar in preparation to do the rear wiper conversion?
No, that's just a standard computer desk grommet I used to help port the trunk a tad for an old subwoofer install. Now that I have two 6.5s mounted IB, I actually sealed the bottom of it up.

are your c pillars black?
No, factory RS dark grey

Thanks for posting pics my friend. Seems those woofers would sound pretty sweet in there. Always dig peoples mods and haven't seen free air subs too often.
They pair pretty well with my mids in the front of the car. They produce some great mid-bass and have pretty good low-end extension as well. If all you listened to was rock, it would be a perfect setup.

-- Dave

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
That looks like my 12" Kenwood Excelon woofer, but smaller of course. I also use a thin profile woofer, so I can save as much space as possible.

·
Ex-Mooderator
3,264 Posts
They are Elemental Designs eD 6.5" woofers. I think they have an x-max of 13mm or something ridiculous for a 6.5"

Unforunately eD is out of business now :(
Elemental Designs Gone. - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

Tang Band makes another great 6.5" midbass IB woofer that I've been looking towards putting in the rear doors of the 2011 wrx I have.

I've also been debating between the audio integrations 10" rear sub box, vs just putting a flat 10" in a fiberglass box under my driver or passenger seat..

-- Dave

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
I've got Rockford's 6" Punch full-range speakers and while they are great, they just don't have as much bass as I'd like. Doesn't help that they are just connected up to a headunit and aren't getting the power they deserve. Maybe I'll try an amp out with them.

·
Ex-Mooderator
3,264 Posts
Heh, I have 250w pushing that back deck... they play down to about 38Hz with some authority, but I don't use them for that.

They were a bit boomy around 160-250Hz, so I EQ'd that down. I think that was the resonant freq of my rear deck... need to add more matting I guess =P

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Ya, mine rattles the truck a little. Might yank them out and dynamat the deck.

·
Registered
00'RS/02' WRX stgEleventy
2,144 Posts
I built a new rear deck out of 1/2 carpet padding and FG.. no joke

Sent from an other planet (Tapatalk)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts