Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Scion FR-S
10 Posts
Using the wheel offset calculator is great, but then again people need to take account of the tire sizes they would be running

·
Registered
02 Impreza T.S.
269 Posts
Okay, in the hopes of not having to start a new thread....what is the tallest (not widest) tire i can run on stock 16s and stock suspension without rubbing?? Ive tried searching, people usually start commenting with WIDTH comments. Im just wondering about the tallest (aspect ratio...) without having to alter fenders.

·
Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,244 Posts
Okay, in the hopes of not having to start a new thread....what is the tallest (not widest) tire i can run on stock 16s and stock suspension without rubbing?? Ive tried searching, people usually start commenting with WIDTH comments. Im just wondering about the tallest (aspect ratio...) without having to alter fenders.
Well, taller tires will have softer sidewalls and could rub the strut or lower spring perch when cornering... the whole tire will deflect.

I think stock diameter for 205/55/16 is about 24.8". Going to 25 or 26" is probably fine, 27" may work, but you really need to measure the distance from the top of your tread to the bottom of your spring perch and see how much space you have in there now. Also measure distance between tread and fender liner at max lock each direction.

-- Dave

·
Registered
02 Impreza T.S.
269 Posts
Not always true about softer sidewalls, depends on the tire. What its made for, how many plys, etc. But the rest of the info is appreciated, thank you

·
Registered
2000 GF8
16 Posts
kinda related, anybody know what's TOO wide for track usage, as in when do the wheels/tires start to hinder performance. I was thinking 9.5 - 10 would be good.

Offset would have to be determined still and the car (sadly) will have to have flares on it (prev owner started on it..). I'm not worried about how low I can go because looks wont matter as long as it handles fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am SO sick of seeing do these wheels fit/what needs done to fit them type of threads.

Step 1. Buy a tape measure, measure clearance between wheel/tire and strut as well as clearance between wheel/tire and fender.

Step 2. Punch in your current wheel setup and your stupid unnecessary dream wheels setup into this calculator: Wheel Offset Calculator

Step 3. Determine if you have the necessary tolerance for your new, big, dumb wheels. If not decide if you are willing to make room for them via roll/pull/hammering/cutting out offending body material/etc.

step 4. Order/mount/kill yourself.:eek:rly:

I may or may not make this more informative, depending on how much you guys continue to piss me off.
Or wheels hit caliper and you’re out $1,200 and still wondering what happened.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts