Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mobile Diagnosis Guy
97 Impreza L
5,492 Posts
yeah...

drain it, unbolt driveshaft from car (2 bolts in the center), unbolt driveshaft from differential... 4 bolts/nuts near the diff. support trans with jack or trans jack. unbolt trans mount/crossmember. Unbolt engine to trans bolts. Usually 4-6 bolts and 2 nuts on the bottom.

Drive pins out of axles near the tranny. Unbolt hub from strut on both side and pull axles partially out of trans. separate engine and trans (putty knives hammers and pry bars suggested). Lower trans, axles will slide out. Beer?

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS
2,114 Posts
Pete has it :)

Don't forget about the shifter linkage as well..

here is a trick so you don't have to pull the hubs or the axles..

Take your little scissor jack and wedge it between the trans and the tunnel. Jack the trans to the side and ease the axles off the trans ;)

I never ever ever ever need to pull axles... Unless they are for newer cars without stubs

·
Registered
'98 2.5 RS
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pics?

you sound like the perfect candidate to write a new DIY... please.

you make it sound easy. the reason i asked is because my gears grind subtely when i shift and i was told it was a piece of cake to change the syncros.

any input?

·
Mobile Diagnosis Guy
97 Impreza L
5,492 Posts
ummm, well its not hard if you know what you are doing? If you cannot figure how to take the transmission out of the car....doing synchros is not a job for you, and dont take offense to that. As for a DIY, we'll see.

·
Registered
2015 Scion FRS series One
160 Posts
This thread is over a year old but I am gathering info and shortcut tricks to replace my clutch. I am deffinitely doing the job from underneath as opposed to moving the engine.
It sounds like a great time saver to work the axel shafts out with the scissor jack or while lowering the tranny. I guess I will need a tranny jack to finese the axels back into place on the way back in. Harbor Fieght should have that cheap.
I am going to do a DIY when I do the work and will encoperate your good suggestions (and credit) in the process.

Do the headers or exhaust pipes need to be moved to get the tranny out?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just found this complete Subaru STI instuction set for clutch replacement. It should be valid for a non-turbo car in wich case you would just skip the parts about the intercooler.

techinfo.subaru.com/html/downloadSpt.jsp?pdf=STi...pdf

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes, all the exhaust stuff has to come off.

I had the most trouble splitting the transmission off from the engine and also the reverse in mating it back. Once you get the engine and transmission mostly mated, stick the driveshaft in and turn it to make sure the splines are lined up.

See post #36

·
Registered
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5 Rs
3,712 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Pete has it :)

Don't forget about the shifter linkage as well..

here is a trick so you don't have to pull the hubs or the axles..

Take your little scissor jack and wedge it between the trans and the tunnel. Jack the trans to the side and ease the axles off the trans ;)

I never ever ever ever need to pull axles... Unless they are for newer cars without stubs

To you guys that let the axles slid out of the transmission as you lowered it: Do you need to have the car elevated by it's wheels (like rollling it up onto ramps), or by the frame with jackstands and the wheels hanging down? It seems like the suspension geometry would have a play on whether or not those axles will drop out or not.

·
Registered
2015 WRX
2,350 Posts
Have you considered changing the transmission fluid before changing out the synchros? Worn out transmission fluid will cause your gearbox to shift like crap. Subaru's 75W-90 Extra S works wonders. It's worth the $40 if it saves you $1000 in parts/labor to rebuilt the trans.

I had the most trouble splitting the transmission off from the engine and also the reverse in mating it back. Once you get the engine and transmission mostly mated, stick the driveshaft in and turn it to make sure the splines are lined up.
Or put a socket on the crank shaft pulley and turn the engine over by hand and see if the output shaft on the transmission turns....

·
Registered
4 Posts
undo the axles with a 3/16 punch. undo the bellhouing with ai 14mm. drop the driveshaft and swing it out of the way. undo the shifters from uptop and drop them thr0ugh the tunnel. take the bolt out of the hifter pivot from uptop

pemove the 'dogbone' from under the hood

put a jack under the tranny crossmember and unbolt it from the car with 17mm

have fun!

·
Registered
Aspen White 2kRS and 05 STI
175 Posts
To you guys that let the axles slid out of the transmission as you lowered it: Do you need to have the car elevated by it's wheels (like rollling it up onto ramps), or by the frame with jackstands and the wheels hanging down? It seems like the suspension geometry would have a play on whether or not those axles will drop out or not.
This seems like a valid question I would like to know the answer to as well.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,835 Posts
either one will work. have done it both ways. when the tranny is not attached to the engine, it will rock left and right, allowing you to slide the axles off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.