Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
'98 RSTI, '14 XV Hybrid
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Under our porch we have 4 very adorable kittens, and one very protective momma.

Theyve come to teh point where they will eat tuna fish we put out for them and such, let you come within 5ft of them then take off squealing hhaha.

Anyway, any advise? Our last 2 kittens just came right to us...

·
Registered
2000 RS ej20g swap
505 Posts
cast-net ;) haha jk.. i say put some tuna in ur hand or somethin, just keep workin with them, and they will eventually come

·
Registered
silver-y-ish 2000 2.5 RS
60 Posts
I wouldn't be against catching wild kittens, but the only thing is that there's no guarantee against any diseases they may be carrying. So just watch out for that kind of thing. Also, even though it's easier to train the kittens to become accustomed to your presence, they still may not let you touch them. Like ^^^ said, they're feral cats and haven't been living around people 24/7 like housecats.

Good luck though!

·
peon
shitty shitty bang bang
2,583 Posts
ours had worms... he kept puking them up until we could get a vet appointment. worms are nasty, clear puke and tiny little squirmy things.

·
Premium Member
'98 RSTI, '14 XV Hybrid
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All kittens have worms... They arent wild... the mumsie is abandoned, been around for a while. We want to catch them so they dont get hit by cars... happened to the last bunch of kittens around our house... :(

·
Premium Member
'98 RSTI, '14 XV Hybrid
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, and you can tell they definatly arent WILD... the father cat lives down the road, everyone keeps telling them to get him fixed but they dont... This is the 5th batch of kittens in several years.

·
WTF WAS THAT?!?
'05 Legacy GT, '09 Forester X
4,433 Posts
put the can of tuna in the road.

<<---not a cat person.

but if you really want to catch them then the box and stick trap always worked for me.

or the big glue traps for rats.

·
Registered
2000 SRP RS
311 Posts
i2()N!N said:
put the can of tuna in the road.

<<---not a cat person.

but if you really want to catch them then the box and stick trap always worked for me.

or the big glue traps for rats.

Sorry just have to say, thats the most useless suggestion... ever.

Anyway, keep working on them, feed them, and otherwise just go around your buisness like normal.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
well as i said you can try to go to your local shelter as long as its not some pos one, and ask if maybe you can borrow/rent a trap to catch them and when you do well you know the normal vet thign because they can be very dangerous around other animals in your house if proper treatment is not supplied

·
Registered
698 Posts
i used to catch feral cats on my grandmas farm in kentucky so my cousin could spay or neuter them on the pool table in the front room :)

two methods i used:

1) Get some food they'll eat and a small pet carrier. Attach a string to the door of the pet carrier and have the other end inside the house. Have someone watch the porch from a window and give the person holding the string a que to slam the door when they're inside. Make sure to keep the string tight cause if they're really wild they'll try and bust the door open. This way is fun but you usually can't catch them all at once unless the carrier is pretty big.

2) Get a beach towel and food they like. Put the food far away from their home. Once they are far enough away bust out the door at full force and try and grab one before it gets away....as an eight year old this method was my favorite.....the towel is to protect your arms from the biting and scratching that insues

the best way i used to use was a giant racoon trap but i assume you dont have one of those....plus those often catch giant angry racoons

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
12 gauge.

For the male cat down the street.

For the kittens...

Use the box method.

Chris

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
I don't know why but this immediately made me think of the domokun pics captioned "everytime u masterbate god kills a kitten", or something to that effect...

Food and a box/pet carrier would be my contirbutions.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The mom is going to want to keep them somewhere dark and safe until they are big enough to explore on their own.. Hence under the porch. Once you do get them out, move them into a closet or maybe your garage. Somewhere there isn't a lot of human traffic, but its also dark and cool. Then help momma out by feeding the kittens a mushy mix of soft food and milk. A good way to teach the kittens to eat the mush is to dip one of their paws in it.

·
Premium Member
MY98 2.5RS Coupe Brilliant Red
880 Posts
scoobysnack said:
Have-A-Heart trap, if your town has an animal control unit they will let you borrow it
+1

Then transfer them to a cat carrier or something else in order to transport them for surgury. Granted, if you start picking up the little ones one (or two) at a time, I'm not sure what momma will end up doing. Though, you may be able to lure her out by putting the kittens outside in the carrier and see if she comes to investigate.

But the Have-A-Heart traps would be a good bet.

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
Take them all in for surgery for sure... including the cat down the street... just tell the place that they are all strays.

Chris

·
Registered
Aspen White '03 2.5TS Wagon
1,091 Posts
Growing up, a girlfriend of mine had wild cats who would have litter upon litter of kittens, so everytime I went over to play with her (No not like that you sick bastards! We were friggin kids!) We'd always have to try and play w/ the kittens and be around them so we could get them used to us.

You have to just start going out on the deck and just sit there with them. Let them get used to you. And within like 2 or 3 days, I'll bet you a motor swap, one of them will come up to you. How old are the kittens?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts