Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Lego Wagon
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been changing mine every 3k with Mobil 1 10-30. Do you think there would be any problems with changing it every 4 or 5k insted? My car gets mostly highway miles and I figure the savings would add up over the next couple of years without causing any problems.

·
Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,278 Posts
I'd send your oil in for analysis at 3k and then see what the analysis says...

I'm fairly good at completely destroying oil in about 1500mi =)

PS: you may want to re-engrish your post at some point so that it is easier to read.

-- Dave

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
I've been changing mine with 10w40 Castrol Full Synth every 10,000 km. (That's about 6K miles.)
I put 10w40 in my wifes FXT every 5k miles.
I have also been using Purolator or Mobile1 filters (when available).

·
Registered
Lego Wagon
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd send your oil in for analysis at 3k and then see what the analysis says...

I'm fairly good at completely destroying oil in about 1500mi =)

PS: you may want to re-engrish your post at some point so that it is easier to read.

-- Dave
Sorry about that I went back and cleaned it up a tad.

·
project blackbird.
'01 RS, '81 Fiat Spider
3,396 Posts
I use Mobil 1 5W-30, and I change it 3 times every 10k, so every 3300 or so. I use Genuine Subaru replacement filters too.

Why are you guys using 10W-30/40 instead of 5W?

·
Registered
Lego Wagon
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use Mobil 1 5W-30, and I change it 3 times every 10k, so every 3300 or so. I use Genuine Subaru replacement filters too.

Why are you guys using 10W-30/40 instead of 5W?
I run 10-30 since I live in Texas, I have always ran thicker oil. Plus I am at 115k right now.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
Yep.. no need for a 0w or 5w here in South Texas. Even in winter it just doesn't get cold enough to need anything less than 10w. And the 40w is just a little bit of extra insurance for heat put in at AutoX events and stop lights on 95F days.

·
project blackbird.
'01 RS, '81 Fiat Spider
3,396 Posts
Yep.. no need for a 0w or 5w here in South Texas. Even in winter it just doesn't get cold enough to need anything less than 10w. And the 40w is just a little bit of extra insurance for heat put in at AutoX events and stop lights on 95F days.
Word, makes sense. 5W works for me because I live in the Great Lakes area and it gets cold. Plus I basically just drive on the street, so 30 weight is fine for me.

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
10W-30 in the warm months, 5W-30 in the cold. I changed the oil in my RS every 3K when I could, but went longer on occasion. I don't feel that occasionally going 4-5K is going to hurt anything.

·
Registered
'98 RS, '13 BRZ
689 Posts
I use Castrol 10w-30 and change my oil religiously. None of my cars have ever seen oil as old as 3000 miles.

·
Registered
93 Imperza L Ameythst
3,165 Posts
When i get around to it hahah but seriously I do it every 5,000 miles on a swaped v7 motor. I would have to say that when I had my CRX i put oil in it maybe 3 or 4 times and put 150,000 miles on it when I had it. only thing I replaced on the car was teh starter and came to find out that it wasnt even the starter that was bad, but the wire from the starter to the battery.

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
Yeah I think the 3K thing is probably overkill, but it's a decent guideline. It just keeps people in line.

Most cars would probably be fine at far less frequency.

·
Low&Slow
1965 VW Bug,2001 drz400 sumo
2,942 Posts
napa syn 5W30 in both my impreza and my wife's outback, never have had a problem year round in ether, and thats with a wix filter, or subaru oem filters. oh and every 3-5K when i get to it. you can run it alot longer then most think with no problems.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
It's interesting to note that oil change intervals in Europe are often much longer than here in the US. You can find countless threads on European forums talking about 5k-10k changes, and even 15k-20k. (yes.. miles, not km). I think the 3k change is a long standing hold over from the days of Detroit Muscle. I'd be surprised if todays modern high-tolerance engine was not easily capable of going much longer on an oil change when compared to a 1968 chevy 350. Not to mention the improvement in oil capabilities too!

It's my opinion that we here in the US continue to have the wool pulled over our eyes with regards to the true oil change interval requirements of our modern cars.

·
Hoopty King
2000 BRP 2.5RS/1994 Legacy SS
876 Posts
Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 in both the Lego and the RS.

Doing about 5k in the legacy, but it's all stock (even a paper air filter still) and using Bosch filters.
The RS sees oil changes at ~ 3k miles, occasionally sooner if I haven't driven it much and just feel like doing it, occasionally later, but never more than about 500-700 miles over. I use K&N filters on the RS.

Skidd said:
It's interesting to note that oil change intervals in Europe are often much longer than here in the US. You can find countless threads on European forums talking about 5k-10k changes, and even 15k-20k. (yes.. miles, not km). I think the 3k change is a long standing hold over from the days of Detroit Muscle. I'd be surprised if todays modern high-tolerance engine was not easily capable of going much longer on an oil change when compared to a 1968 chevy 350. Not to mention the improvement in oil capabilities too!

It's my opinion that we here in the US continue to have the wool pulled over our eyes with regards to the true oil change interval requirements of our modern cars.
Very true, I continue the 3k miles on the RS mostly because I drive it aggressively, and I just think it's a good, easy "insurance policy" to keep wear down. The Legacy I'm much more casual about, partly because it's got an EJ22 (the engine that won't die) and partly because it cost me $500, and largely because I know it won't hurt the car to stretch the oil out a few thousand miles more.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
1,788 Posts
Using a good filter and synthetic like M1 you can do 5,000 mile chanegs no problem whatsoever. Do some research on bobistheoilguy.com and you will see oil analysis' of your favorite oils to know the wear properties of certain mileage vs. competitors.

As for myself I went from M1 with Bosch filter (3,000mi changes) to Amsoil with Amsoil Filter(8,000 mi changes) to Royal Purple with Bosch filter(5,000 changes) and now going back to M1 with Bosch again. The reviews say M1 is plenty good compared to the boutique oils and since I can get M1 at walmart for 24 bucks plus a Bosch filter at Autozone for a hair over 5 bucks...30 for an oil change isn't bad.

I run 5W30 year round in hot PA summers and cold PA winters but I'm thinking of going with the new M1 0W30 since it got good wear ratings already. Many people have compared the protection of 5W30 to be about the same as 0W30 with easier oil flow on those cold mornings. Sounds like a win to me.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
1,788 Posts
Just wanted to add for those of you that like Mobil oil and oil filters, there is a deal going on at Autozone until October 22 for 5qts of M1 and a Mobil oil filter for 29.99+tax. It's a really good deal!

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
I switched to Subaru filters a while back. I'd previously used Purolator PureOne.

Some say that Subaru filters are made by Purolator, but that's actually not the case, at least with the black filters I used. It's a Japanese company, I forget the name. Could possibly be the same origin manufacturer though, I suppose.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts