Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 2000 2.5RS couple months ago but due to undercarriage rust, the tune shop suggested I sell it and buy a different one. Got my money back off it, and decided to go for an Impreza L or 2.5 again. This time automatic due to having people in the family who might need to use the car. Also, living in a giant city and going to NYC often would be a hassle. Anyway, I found two potential cars at two dealers. One is in CO and about a 24hr drive back. It's an 2.5RS sedan with 76k miles. I called, told him I'm interested. I have a friend who lives 10 minutes away from there so it's an excuse to go visit and get a car on the way back.

Also, found an Impreza L coupe somewhere two hours from here through a dealer as well. They want almost 6 grand for 68k Impreza L. Amusing both cars are good, what would YOU pay? I do have 10k in hand, and trying to decide which I would do. On one hand, I do plan on having the car for a very long time, and maybe do a swap on it. Maybe convert the L to an RS. If I keep it automatic, I'd do an 05 LGT swap. This car will be a daily driver and I'm trying to factor in Timing belt cost, water pump and headgakset costs in the near future. It is also a 14 year old car and KBB doesn't price it as what they want.

So any help would be great!

·
Registered
09 Legacy spec.B + 01 2.5RS
476 Posts
I would pay about 2500, maybe 3500 if it was in stellar condition with great service records.

For 6 grand you can get something much better. These things aren't that great.

·
Enthusiast
2001 SRP L
2,513 Posts
definitely a regional thing.

Ive seen clean low mileage RS's sell for 4-5k in NE

ive also eyed a couple cars from WA, that sells for ridiculous amounts of money

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The 2.5RS is in CO but the L is in upstate NY. Both have no rust. I do agree that cars here in the NE seem more expensive, especially in NJ. I just like the style of the car, probably why I would personally pay a little more than it's worth knowing I won't get the money back. The dealer was telling me it's rare, that's why he priced it 6k, also one owner. Still, 14 year old car with known issues. Do you guys think I could get it to 4500? 5k? What would I say? Ah, decisions!

·
Enthusiast
2001 SRP L
2,513 Posts
bring 4500, put it on the table, and tell them thats what you got.

But before you do that, look inside and out of the car, 4500 is a lot of money to spend

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS SRP
162 Posts
I bought my 00 2.5 RS from Ontario and I paid 4k (with rust on the quarters too). There were issues, but to me, it's a unicorn and I was willing to part with my money on it.

·
Registered
1994 Impreza L
112 Posts
The 2.5RS is in CO but the L is in upstate NY. Both have no rust. I do agree that cars here in the NE seem more expensive, especially in NJ. I just like the style of the car, probably why I would personally pay a little more than it's worth knowing I won't get the money back. The dealer was telling me it's rare, that's why he priced it 6k, also one owner. Still, 14 year old car with known issues. Do you guys think I could get it to 4500? 5k? What would I say? Ah, decisions!
Interestingly enough, I found a 94' L in Colorado as well with no rust. I'm actually flying out there next week to pick it up and will drive it back to NY.

Where is the RS you found? I could check it out for you if I have the time while I'm there. Colorado does offer Temporary Permits to drive the car out of state which is nice.

·
Registered
'10 EVO X GSR, '15 Fiesta 1.0T
113 Posts
I'm in a similar boat.. but looking for a manual. I am also thinking of looking outside of the rust belt for a better example.

People think these high mileage rust buckets out here in the northeast with no maintenance records are gold mines. The crazy thing is people actually buy them for the asking prices and throw tons of money into them (more than they are even worth some times) to partially fix them up :crazy:

No matter the condition, I would think that a relatively low mileage RS without a swap should not be worth more than $4.5-5.5k and a later model year L should not go over $3-4k. Unless they are absolute pristine examples with records, a little bit more. If it has rot, half those prices. High mileage, even more so.

A few years ago I sold a swapped and modified 2001 RS Coupe (no rust at all) with 72,000 miles on the body and 30,000 on WRX motor for just less than 9k.

·
Registered
99RS 207 V9 AW
1,285 Posts
CA 99RS 2 owner stock w/no mod and no rust, 90k, 5sp,RBP, coupe, female driver driven car sold $8.5 with 5 buyers in line fought for it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interestingly enough, I found a 94' L in Colorado as well with no rust. I'm actually flying out there next week to pick it up and will drive it back to NY.

Where is the RS you found? I could check it out for you if I have the time while I'm there. Colorado does offer Temporary Permits to drive the car out of state which is nice.
In Denver, hasn't been posted up and only reason I knew of it was because of a friend. She lives 10 minutes from the area so luckily for me, I'd have a ride, and a free place to stay. The drive from Denver to NJ is about 24 hrs, how about to NY?

I'm in a similar boat.. but looking for a manual. I am also thinking of looking outside of the rust belt for a better example.

People think these high mileage rust buckets out here in the northeast with no maintenance records are gold mines. The crazy thing is people actually buy them for the asking prices and throw tons of money into them (more than they are even worth some times) to partially fix them up :crazy:

No matter the condition, I would think that a relatively low mileage RS without a swap should not be worth more than $4.5-5.5k and a later model year L should not go over $3-4k. Unless they are absolute pristine examples with records, a little bit more. If it has rot, half those prices. High mileage, even more so.

A few years ago I sold a swapped and modified 2001 RS Coupe (no rust at all) with 72,000 miles on the body and 30,000 on WRX motor for just less than 9k.
Yeah, I've seen those! I bought a rusted 2.5rs for 3000, 118k miles and it was great. Just didn't like that it had rust. Also, needed an automatic so had to let her go. The guy in CO sees it as a regular car which is great! Unlike here, I've found a couple and I keep hearing "rare car" and they just jack up the prices. To be fair, that L had only one owner and she was a woman. I suppose us men would want to mod the hell out of it and spill food everywhere :lol:

Also, found a red RS with no visible rust and about 92k miles. I think it was priced around 5200. It is a manual and located in CT. I'll link you it if you want if you and if I find it again. It's a nice color! Wish these two I'm looking at were something besides grey

·
Registered
98 RBP 2.5RS
95 Posts
I would pay more for one that doesn't have rust and a good body. The prices of these cars are not going anywhere but up as more people buy them and supply thins out. The number of "regular" owned 92-01's will eventually become zero, and then there will only be "enthusiast" owned copies, which will likely all be modded, driven hard, and they will want all the money for them.

I'm in WA, so I know about these crazy high prices. I just sold my 98RS for $8.5k. But, our cars up here are some of the cleanest and rust free, so its just a free market. I had like 20 people contact me for my car from all around the country, so I think I actually priced mine a little low!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Just remember, at prices nearing 10k, you're entering the realm of used STIs and 05+ Legacy 2.5GTs. You're firmly in the realm of a used WRX. Love the cars if you will, but you can get better ones for the price. You're paying for some weird fixation at those levels.

I paid 3500 for mine, and would again - it's a good car at that price, and I bought it specifically to compete in stock N/A classes. If I weren't buying it for that reason, there is absolutely no way in hell I would pay 5k for the thing.

·
Registered
1994 Impreza L
112 Posts
In Denver, hasn't been posted up and only reason I knew of it was because of a friend. She lives 10 minutes from the area so luckily for me, I'd have a ride, and a free place to stay. The drive from Denver to NJ is about 24 hrs, how about to NY?
Google Maps states 26 hours.

I'm hoping it's as good as it looks!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I bought my spec.B in Newark and drove it back to St. Louis in 1 day. Wasn't bad at all. You could not pay me to do it in an RS/L though. Even 350mi trips back/forth from StL to Chicago are no fun at all.

I will say it is a really great drive though, especially through PA/WV. Indiana/Ohio are mind-numbingly boring though. I know Kansas is just as bad. Just make sure you bring enough stuff to keep yourself comfortable in the car.

·
Registered
'10 EVO X GSR, '15 Fiesta 1.0T
113 Posts
CA 99RS 2 owner stock w/no mod and no rust, 90k, 5sp,RBP, coupe, female driver driven car sold $8.5 with 5 buyers in line fought for it.
One of my biggest reasons to not buy a car for twice its retail value is insurance. If something happens, you are essentially stuck with a $4,500 payout on the car.

Also, found a red RS with no visible rust and about 92k miles. I think it was priced around 5200. It is a manual and located in CT. I'll link you it if you want if you and if I find it again. It's a nice color! Wish these two I'm looking at were something besides grey
Sure. Link it up if you can. I probably saw the ad but you never know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Google Maps states 26 hours.

I'm hoping it's as good as it looks!
Looks like a good car! Sedan as well. The one I am looking at is a Sedan too, wish it could of been a coupe! If you go sometime soon, and near Denver, check it out for me haha. Save me lots of time. Automatic version of the RS, but it's still a nice car!

I bought my spec.B in Newark and drove it back to St. Louis in 1 day. Wasn't bad at all. You could not pay me to do it in an RS/L though. Even 350mi trips back/forth from StL to Chicago are no fun at all.

I will say it is a really great drive though, especially through PA/WV. Indiana/Ohio are mind-numbingly boring though. I know Kansas is just as bad. Just make sure you bring enough stuff to keep yourself comfortable in the car.
My friend is willing to accompany me back to NJ. 24hrs with a friend won't be bad at all! I mean, not use to long drives. Road trip should be fun though

·
Registered
476 Posts
My friend is willing to accompany me back to NJ. 24hrs with a friend won't be bad at all! I mean, not use to long drives. Road trip should be fun though
Remember, these old Imprezas have nothing in the way of comfort. Seats aren't very good, don't really go back, not a lot of space, not a lot of sound deadening. HVAC isn't stellar on the old ones usually (check that the heat works! heater core crappiness is common). If it's a stock stereo, you're looking at a good chance of a tape player with no aux-in.

That's saying nothing of the condition of tires, brakes, and suspension and what shape that might be in.

Having a friend is good, but when you're stuck in a coffin for 24 hours, it's still a coffin even with a friend.

·
Registered
1994 Impreza L
112 Posts
Looks like a good car! Sedan as well. The one I am looking at is a Sedan too, wish it could of been a coupe! If you go sometime soon, and near Denver, check it out for me haha. Save me lots of time. Automatic version of the RS, but it's still a nice car!
I fly out on the 7th. Hit me up with the info if you want.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hopefully I get a price by tomorrow and see if it's worth the drive. I know I am going to hate the drive, but worth it for the car of my choice. If anyone sees any automatic with low miles let me know

1 - 20 of 20 Posts