Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1998, Impreza L, Brilliant Red
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am wondering how much hp and lbs./ft I will roughly get with my combination (sp?). I will be using a stock legacy 2.2T engine and turbo, with DOHC rs heads, a WRX top mount Intercooler, and a turbo back catless exhaust. I will also be using the legacys computer and a boost controller set at a low boost setting, till I can be properly tuned. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
4,994 Posts
No way will you hit anything close to 210 with that turbo. It's tiny. 210 is pushing the limits for the TD04.

You might hit 150 or 160 with the VF11.

· Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
5,659 Posts
On legacy central folks are doing about 150whp on the Stock ej22t @ around 10-11psi.
I'd say you'll hit about 200whp with the limiting factor being the VF11.

1 guy made 378whp on a stock sohc ej22t longblock + a t3/t4e @ 25-28psi.

· Registered
5,659 Posts
Finally here is another ej22t HP example

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=35338

This car actually made the same 136whp/147TQ stock (8.7psi) as the car above.

If you are getting the ej22t for a good price- free I say do it, but if you are going to pay market value for the closed deck block I think you wll be happier & make much more HP on a stock EJ20G.

I actually took the ej22t out of my SS & replaced it with a EJ20G.
Low end is a bit softer than the ej22t, but mid-top end power is MUCH better than the ej22t + it is DOHC, Intercooled, has 440cc injectors, & a TD04 for GF8s / TD05-16G on GC8's in a OEM package that you can find CHEAP.

I run 18ish psi on my TD05-16G / EJ20G + alky injection.
When/If it blows I have a V2 STi Ra EJ20G to slap in (OEM forged Pistons/rods, STi ported heads, high lift cams / solid lifters, "Handcrafted & Tuned by STi").

· Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
4,994 Posts

EJ22T block, wiseco pistons, EJ25D heads and V4 STI Valvetrain

Made 215whp at 12psi, the link ECU I was running couldn't handle the ignition past that, so we'll see what I make once the Autronic goes in.

stock 22T heads are crap, stock 22T turbo is crap.

· Registered
5,659 Posts
Nice looking motor, but if all you could get was 215WHP with V4 STi / DOHC heads & a standalone ECU then either your tuner sucks, or you had major problems.
I think a Stock ECU'd DOHC ej22t will make about the same power you made with a VF11 (15psi tapering down to 12psi) still not worth the effort in my opinon - just get a Plain Jane EJ20G & keep it moving.

I agree the stock ej22t heads do suck, but people have made some HP with them.
Here is a self tuned car on stock ej22t heads that made 293whp/322WTQ - dyno sheet attached.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=35149&highlight=dyno

· Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,278 Posts
just a little more info
With TD04L, WRX TMIC, TXS MBC/FCD, headerback exhaust at 14psi I made 244wtq and 178whp. At night I make boost at about 16psi so you can expect to see 180whp and 250wtrq w/ WRX TD04L.

Now with ported USDM WRX DOHC heads and bigger turbo, I push about 300whp on stock 22T internals. ...but this is a different topic....

· Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
4,994 Posts
I heard it was your engine, not the link. Wasn't the thing just going crazy whenever Pat tried to take it off wastegate boost?
Well I had made 260whp on the same motor and a much smaller turbo just a few months before.

It was misfiring above wastegate boost, which Pat says was because the ignition system couldn't handle it.

the ECU was a Link V14, very very basic ecu with almost no control over the ignition system. I guess we'll find out for sure when Im done installing my Autronic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.