Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If my front O2 goes out, the computer retards the engine. Now, i thought that having more fuel at high rpm is better, but ever since i fixed my O2 it feels like my car is faster, so the question is:

How much power is lost due to a faulty Front O2 sensor?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Alot! Not long after I had mine the O2 sensor went out and my car was freaking bogging and had no power even with more accelerator. More gas is good as long as you have enough air also to burn it.

·
General pain in the ass
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
makes sence, thnx

·
Registered
150 Posts
hmmmmmm....

I'd like to chime in here and ask a few questions to some of you guys. Recently, on my 00 RS, there's been a string of specific engine codes. The two are always triggered similtaneously. Al ( www.IWTUelectronics.com ) and I went on a little test run with a factory ECU scanner. We pulled my two engine codes, which were the rear O2 and neutral safety switch. Al knows his stuff, and I was able to tell him what I was doing with the pedal while I was driving and shifting. The dips in voltage on the readout specifically occurred when I shifted, mostly near the return of clutch travel.
We think we may have traced a problem to the 2 connectors on the top rear of the engine. They sit under the factory airbox, right at the junction of the bellhousing and engine block. The connections are secure, but haven't been taken apart or replaced yet. (That's coming in the next few weeks as it's prepped for turbo duty :).) What was noticed on the readout were low to almost non-existant readings on both. All other functions we looked at seemed normal. The readings took place during the above described clutch action. They came on and off just like a switch at the top of clutch travel.
Has anyone else gotten these codes simultaneously? It affects driveability of the car if it can't get the right readings from either 02 sensor. My only real guess at this particular time is that the connections are stressed when the clutch engages. Or they're shook up somehow that they don't like. Sensors just keeling over and dying doesn't seem right. Replacing sensors over and over could point to a problem elsewhere in the system. I don't support the theory of the problem "always being the ECU".

Gary www.pdmturbos.com

·
General pain in the ass
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the reason my o2 went out was because I stretched the wire while removing the header. Something similar might have happened to you, but instead of wires giving out on the connector side, they gave out on the blug side.

2: wires might have gotten cought in the drive shaft or rubbed by the drive line.

I damn near fried my ecu when i washed my engine and wated got into some plugs as i didnt install all the rubber pieces.

Now for having both of the codes at the same time, i cant help you there, but use multi meter (i have), open manual and see what voltages should be where, and see if you're within factory specs there.

Wish i could help more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts