Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
07 wrx
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much power can the 2.5 sohc hold up to before major breakige???? i think ive herd somthig like 275? thanks guys

·
Registered
07 wrx
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
come on some one must know ive heard it of i-club one time and would hate to have to go back and look for it!!!

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
What year? The year is important, as the compression ratio is different across year models. The 99 RS that was built up by Shiv in Sport Compact Car magazine easily held 294 HP to the wheels, for tens of thousands of miles, on stock internals. However, the MY00 and MY01's have a higher compression ratio and more brittle pistons and rings (as I recall). As a result, high power in the 00 and 01's will be potentially more devestating.

Of course, detonation is the killer. Any about of knocking/pinging in your ignition system will quickly destroy any engine, no matter how well built. High octane and proper ignition timing can combat detonation, but not necessarily cure it.

None of the stock 5-speeds can handle very much power, at least not second gear, and especially not if you are power shifting. There is quite simply too much torque and the gear disintegrates. However, the 4EAT is purported to handle upwards of 600HP with some work, such as a valve body rebuild, different torque converter, and heavy-duty clutch packs.

There, hope that helps! :D

·
Registered
646 Posts
That was a Tony Rigoli built motor that ended up as a 2.7L and a serious amount of money in it. Like around $10K on the motor alone but hell if you have that kind of money to spend then go for it but I damn sure won't spend $10K on a motor unless its a twin turbo LS1 crate engine.

·
Registered
07 wrx
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
damn that kinda sucks i got a 2001 and on the bottle i guess im pushing the max hp! but wow thanks alot really helped me!

·
Premium Member
00RS 04STI
953 Posts
If I remember correctly, the 00RS transmission can handle 225-250hp. If you go over to Cobb and search their forum you can find the answer.

·
Premium Member
00RS 04STI
953 Posts
If I remember correctly, the 00RS transmission can handle 225-250hp. If you go over to Cobb and search their forum you can find the answer.

·
Registered
07 wrx
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
shit! i dont know if i should of asked that!!! every time i come back and check i find out more and more bad things!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts