Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering, is the stock suspension strong enough to withstand a hard rally event, and or big pot holes? Im thinking of participating in an autcross event but im worried that the suspension maynot be up to it. Is stock ok? If not, what are some weak points in the suspension that i should replace with beefier parts? Mounts? Arms? links? shocks?

·
Registered
43 Posts
The suspension will definitely stand up to autocross duties, I've never taken my car off tarmac, so I can't speak to how well the it will handlow the rough stuff without reinforcement.

Keep in mind that autox does tax your components more than regular driving, and therefore things will tend to wear out quicker than normal. Brake pads and tires come to mind, but also clutches take a lot of abuse with the all-wheel drive, especially when you start swapping to some stickier tires. Also, alot of the WRX guys have had problems with broken trannies as a result of launching hard. Haven't really heard of this problem in the RS, but if you're not gunning for a national title, might be woth taking it easy on your tranny at launch.

Other than those things, autox really is that much harder on your car than street driving, speeds are all that fast, your cornering hard, but not too far outside the realm of what the car was designed for. Should you decide to go to some of the classes that allow more modifications, and subsequently higher speeds and more grip, then things will definitely wear out quicker. But that's for another day.

Brian

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
I Auto-crossed my RS for about 2 years, about 20 events total, and had zero problems. However, upgrade will (1) make a huge difference and (2) put you in a different class and (3) drain your checking account quick! :D

Other than that, and tranny abuse as mentioned above should you launch really hard, you should have no problems.

·
Registered
52 Posts
f1kichigai05 said:
ever have to replace anything?
tires, pads, and fluids.

Most hadcore subie Auto X'ers go though 2 sets a year. Pretty bad when you think about it.

These are the same guys that take there cars to the mountains for initial D type shit.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I would imagine that the amount of abuse and testing that went into the car's parts before it was introduced is FAR GREATER than you'll ever be able to dish out by autcrossing or even rallycrossing. Rally is a bit different because cars aren't usually designed to bounce off trees or stump unscathed.

In autocross and rallycross, you have to accept that you'll be replacing consumable items at a faster rate since you're wearing them at a faster rate. Simple as that. Brakes, tires, fluids, and even bushings, struts/springs though at a lesser extent.
f1kichigai05 said:
i was wondering, is the stock suspension strong enough to withstand a hard rally event, and or big pot holes? Im thinking of participating in an autcross event but im worried that the suspension maynot be up to it. Is stock ok? If not, what are some weak points in the suspension that i should replace with beefier parts? Mounts? Arms? links? shocks?
Don't worry about breaking anything. It's not gonna happen in most any circumstance.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
the stock suspention is argueably better for loose surface then for auto-x. all that travel kills in auto-x but it comes in quite handy at a rally-x or bombing down a gravel road. like everyone said, consumables will be, well, consumed faster the harder you drive. its a fact of life. the suspension won't have any problems though. i auto-x, rally-x, and play on gravel quite a bit and the stock suspension is still in great condition. i've even jumped the car high enough to bottom out the suspension twice on the landing and scrap the header but it held up. i've slid into ditches and rocks and all its done is screw with the alignment. really, it takes $$$$ to upgrade to something "beefier" (i.e. DMS 50) because the stock suspension is so strong to begin with. personally, i'm worried about my AGX's that are going on in the spring will hold up for rally-x. we shall see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts