Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its probably not too bright to ask this kind of question on a board full of people who beat on their car every day but I figured its worth a shot.

I'm having my tranny repaired b/c the main shaft nut backed off and caused my 5th gear to pop out under decel.

Anyway, while its apart the Subaru service guy told me it'd be an extra 50$ or so for labor to install a new clutch so I figured I'd see about replacing mine now. Its only got a little over 41K miles on it but I don't know how long it'll last.

My question is how many miles did you get out of your stock clutch with relatively NORMAL everyday driving. I drive mostly highway, I've never raced (can't garauntee the previous owner's driving style) but may consider autox next year, I don't launch hard, maybe hard acceleration after engaging clutch and rolling away from a stop but I've never dumped the clutch on it, always slip it a little.

Also, has anyone ever used SPO Motorsport's Street clutch disc? They say you can use it with the factory pressure plate. I would replace it with a new factory PP anyway but really don't have the money to spend on an aftermarket clutch and PP right now plus I only have an air intake (maybe an exhaust down the road) so I don't need it to hold a lot of power anyway. But I figure for a few bucks more than the factory clutch disc I can get something with a little more clamping force. If you've used it, comments?

Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
2000 BRP RS coupe
351 Posts
I *think* they last for around 70k miles. I over heard someone talking about it one day, but there's really no set number. I've heard of some Subes that are well over 100k still on the stock clutch and others with much less than that. It really depends on the driver. What you consider not slipping a lot might be a lot to someone else. So my final answer is, the almighty "It depends".

·
Registered
35 Posts
i have 63k on mine, it drives crappy shuttering and slipping all over the place... but i have no money so i have to deal with it

·
Registered
38 Posts
im at 74k and the clutch still feels perfect. the first owner is the best driver ever! he had the call till 52k then i took over. but to give you an idea of how well he drove he has an old (early 80's) mazda turbo with 360k and its still on the FIRST AND ONLY clutch!!!

Nate

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS RBP
68 Posts
For what it's worth

I have had my 98 RS for four years. Too many hard launches that 1st year ( a couple auto-x's) and I "glazed" the clutch. It's held up for awhile, The usual shuddering and then it started to slip on a hard 1st to 2nd shift. Within a couple months it started to slip simply by giving it full gas in 4th gear around 55 mph. Needless to say it was time for a new clutch around 47,000 miles in. I got a ACT clutch/PP combo from Good Vibrations in Pa.(Horsham Rd, Doylestown?) for a good price. I've just had it installed and OMG what a great feeling. I guess you don't realize the small power losses I've been losing over 4 years due to clutch slippage. Personally I recommend this setup, I couldn't be happier, and if you have 40,000+ miles I'd say go for it and get it done.

·
Registered
Impreza 2.5rs
745 Posts
I had that same problem with my tranny, loose nut and 5th popping out. That was fixed under warrenty for me. I still have the original clutch for 64k miles in my 2000RS. It drives fine.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl
396 Posts
No abuse, street driving only, occasional hard launch to keep-up with the GEO Metro beside me.
-Only the disc and clutch cover were warrantied due to shudder at ~10K.
-At ~25K area rep specified entire clutch kit and flywheel warranty.
-Release bearing self destructed at ~32K (dealer charged me $265)

And I've got a high speed balanced flywheel and matched CM3 kit ready to drop in as soon as ...pretty soon?

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
I've got about 57,500 miles on my 2000 RS. No serious acting up, though it does do the shudder thing quite a lot. I drive much better barefoot though, so maybe I just need thinner shoes so I can actually feel what I'm doing. :biggest:

It is definitely worsening, I think I notice a slip now and then but it still seems fine, no grinding or anything that's caused by the clutch, so....

I am having a transmission grinding problem that's unrelated to the clutch I think ... I posted about it in NESIC on "that other" club.

-S2-

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine started slipping sometime after 50k and I replaced it before I hit 60k. It's a MY98 2.5RS and when I first got it I was leasing it and didn't plan to keep it so I wasn't very nice to it. A lot of that had to do with me just stinking at driving a clutch. Anyway mine burned early because of my mistakes.

I talked to an old coworker of mine who has a Legacy Wagon from the early 90's and he's still on the original clutch at over 100k miles. So if you baby them they can certainly last.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts