Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT Wagon
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought myself a scan gaugeII and its working great. I cleared the codes I had and was wondering how long it takes for the ECU to become "ready" so I can get the car inspected. I've drive about 60 miles since I cleared the codes. Also is there any programs out there that I might beable to trick the ECU into saying its ready?

· Registered
98 Red L 2.2L 5spd
355 Posts
from wat i hear its 35 miles driven and then the ecu doesnt log that it was recently reset. i think also on the scan gauge II there's a OBDII ready indicator saying its ready for test. might be in the product description. also PF (paranoid Fab) has a thing from his vendor

· WTF WAS THAT?!?
'05 Legacy GT, '09 Forester X
1,706 Posts
I've driven around for a month now and 3 of my sensors are still not ready.
O2, Evap, and catalyst. no codes, just not ready.
WTF!!!
30 days left until the car is no longer legal.
I've already been pulled over for having only half an inspection sticker.

· ITS TURBO TIME!
05 LGT limited
3,647 Posts
it seems like a lot of ECU's are picky when it comes to that because i had my car inspected in february and the mechanic drove it for 3 days and the monitors still werent ready. i got tired of waiting and he just slapped the stickers on for me so it would pass inspection. But on most of the OBD II scan tools there is an option to show if the monitors are ready or not.

· Registered
02 F-150 Extended Cab
3,127 Posts
you need to fidn the parameters that need to be met in order for them to be set.

i had a 2001 chevy s10 that wouldnt pass cause of an evap test (bad gas cap..) but in order to get the tests to complete you needed to drive @ 55 mph for 10 miles straight.

· Premium Member
1999 2.5RS Silverthorn
358 Posts
This is ready to be smoged for emissions right? I know that I failed inspections in California because I reset my ECU the day before. I drove it around for about a week and then I went back for inspection and it was okay. is that what you're talking about "ready?"

· Mobile Diagnosis Guy
97 Impreza L
5,319 Posts
every car is different. But if your car inst showing ready after two months for one or more of the I/M monitors....id like into an issue. If a car has a CEL for a certain system, it might not run the monitor test for that specific system causing a not ready issue.

If you dont have a CEL and none of your monitors show ready for two months, id look into a wiring problem with the keep alive memory.

· WTF WAS THAT?!?
1,706 Posts
i took it to the local dealer and they said there was nothing they could do for me if there was no code being thrown.

the car is running great, 364 miles between the last fillups.

tried to call the state about it but keep getting the run around.

wireing all looks good.

are there any relays or fuses i should check?

· Mobile Diagnosis Guy
97 Impreza L
5,319 Posts
proECM shouldn't have an effect but i'd uninstall it just to be sure. I might be able to help more if i knew which monitors were not ready.

There are three continuous monitors that run...continuously.
1. Fuel (keeping tabs on the short term/long term fuel trims
2.Misfire
3. Comprehensive Components

There are other non-continuous monitors that run once per drive cycle and specific times/parameters

1.Catalyst monitor
2.EGR monitor
3.Evap monitor
4.A/C monitor
etc etc

There are more but each car can have different ones. If these cannot run then they will appear not ready.

Does your gas gauge work fine? Temperature gauge work fine?

The only thing I can think of is that the PCM (ECU) is reading a bad sensor which is keeping it from seeing all of the correct conditions to run a test. This would cause your problem and NOT throw a code.

· Registered
2002, Impreza Ts, Red
350 Posts
I failed my inspection due to a cat code. The guy reset it and said come back in 35 miles. He hooked it up and i was good to go. (2000 rs) I left the parking lot and the light came on:biglaugh:

· Mobile Diagnosis Guy
97 Impreza L
5,319 Posts
I failed my inspection due to a cat code. The guy reset it and said come back in 35 miles. He hooked it up and i was good to go. (2000 rs) I left the parking lot and the light came on:biglaugh:
heating it up by driving it can improve catalysy effieciency....idlling on the other hand is hard to do an uses a lot of fuel. By driving it you cleaned it up a bit, he ran the test then as soon as the car sat for a bit the o2 saw poor emissions again and bam...light.

· WTF WAS THAT?!?
1,706 Posts
proECM shouldn't have an effect but i'd uninstall it just to be sure. I might be able to help more if i knew which monitors were not ready.

There are three continuous monitors that run...continuously.
1. Fuel (keeping tabs on the short term/long term fuel trims
2.Misfire
3. Comprehensive Components

There are other non-continuous monitors that run once per drive cycle and specific times/parameters

1.Catalyst monitor
2.EGR monitor
3.Evap monitor
4.A/C monitor
etc etc

There are more but each car can have different ones. If these cannot run then they will appear not ready.

Does your gas gauge work fine? Temperature gauge work fine?

The only thing I can think of is that the PCM (ECU) is reading a bad sensor which is keeping it from seeing all of the correct conditions to run a test. This would cause your problem and NOT throw a code.
O2, catalyst, and evap are not ready.
I have changed the O2 sensors, twice. Once with universal, and again with high end Bosch sensors. the Bosch sensor threw a code as soon as i put it in, O2 heater malfunction. the stock O2 sensors are back in the car now.

I didn't have any problems until I put on the Apexi catback and a cat section from a 2000 RS on. My original cats are rusted all to hell.
All of my guages work fine.

· WTF WAS THAT?!?
1,706 Posts
the only problems i had before was a knock sensor and neutral switch.(now fixed)
the rear O2 sensor wires where hacked from the previous owner, thats why i changed it. he did the twist and tape with the wires.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.