Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Donk It.
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning mine and want a feel for what it'll take.

What year/model into what year/model?

What kind of garage?

What took the longest?

Did you farm any of the work out? Why?

Take it away, guys.

·
Registered
1995 Impreza 2.2L FWD
36 Posts
my was a simple 95L 1.8 to 95 2.2 swap
took me 4 days, the garage was a professional shop restores old race cars
yeah i had some guys help me out
make sure you have another ride to make trips to the autoparts store

·
Registered
61 Posts
It took me probably 2 days just to do the harness and more to fix my mistakes, 2 days to swap out the complete drivetrain and rear brakes, most of a day to swap out the pedals and clutch, couple days to figure out why it wouldn't start. I bet I spent a month total stopping to get parts I didnt have or figuring out problems etc.

·
Registered
95 RHD WRX
1,799 Posts
Well, you should know. 1 month from when I purchased shell to drivable. Took a week or so to get the clip parts I needed another week or two to get parts I was missing....3 days to convert firewall...1 day to put car back together and get it running. Another day to make it drivable. Swapstar ftw.

·
Registered
88 XT6. 2.7l H6, 4.11 5MT
565 Posts
3 months.....

'92 FWD 3AT Loyale.

receiving:
'92 legacy EJ22e
'88 RX FT4WD drivetrain (5-speed swap, and 4WD conversion :wtf: )
rear discs
new springs

mechanical stuff probably only took me about a 2 weeks of 4 hour days or so (wasn't my only problem).

then the wiring went haywire and I got extremely frustrated and discouraged, and didn't work on it much. finally spent a 10 hour night (literally, started at about 6pm, started it at 4am), to pull the harness back out, and go over every single wire.

in my parents' crappy garage, cracked floor, not much extra space, mediocre tool selection.

I did all the work.

if I were to do it again this summer, I bet I could do the whole thing in less than 2 weeks (assuming I had all the parts...)

·
ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
5,207 Posts
97 2.2L into 95 Impreza (formerly with a 1.8)

What kind of garage?
My mom's bay in our garage.

What took the longest?
Finding the correct tools (air compressor basically) to destroy a stripped engine mount. That, and hunting for the correct exhaust gaskets. The swap itself took 8 hours (minus food and running for parts).

Yeah, two of the studs on the heads for the exhaust manifold were seized in the heads and snapped. I don't have a tap/die set.

On the swap I did for irishhockeypimp:

'02 WRX wagon into '99 RS coupe

What kind of garage?
Non-heated two-bay garage starting in the dead of winter.

What took the longest?
Waiting on the donor car to be delivered (over a month of scamming and lies).

Wiring was put on Zephyr, as at the time I couldn't follow a wiring diagram. Timing issues (the belt jumped in the donor's fatal accident) was put on a professional mechanic, as the semester was over and I was moving home.

·
Registered
05 legacy sdn, 00 rs sdn
840 Posts
InsatiableAmos said:
I'm planning mine and want a feel for what it'll take.

What kind of garage?

What took the longest?

Take it away, guys.

2003 WRX wagon motor into a 1997 Impreza OBS

2 bay home garage

everything took about equal time length

farm any work out?... my dad gave me a hand here and there

overall it took 3 days from a running ej22 to a running ej205

·
Registered
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5 Rs
3,712 Posts
05 STI complete into 00 RS

2 car garage

id say the fabrication that is associated with, drive by wire,interior swap,steering shaft coupler, the firewall modification (and harness pass through sealing)and getting stuff to mount that the RS didnt have standard, like the P/S reivoir (on the chassis), the I/C spray resivoir, the radiator re-positioning (i used GDB) etc. besides that its jsut a bunch of legos.
wiring was very easy, wasnt much to do on that end.

no work was farmed out. all the parts i made in house.

i think i told someone else on here it maybe had month of 8 hour days involved in it. i worked OT at my job most of the time during the swap, i could afford to take my time etc. so it took longer. plus i did some upgrading. i literally jsut got done about a month ago. check it out here

sorry for whoring pics, i jsut figred it was on topic.

·
Registered
2015 WRX
2,350 Posts
95 1.8 Impreza chassis with already swapped EJ22T -> STi RA Drivetrain (MY94/95) - motor, tranny, rear diff, axles.

High bay garage - 4 or 5 car capacity, hand tools, air tools, jacks and jackstands. Nothing fancy.

Wiring and misc. jobs took the longest. Waiting for parts to come in also severely hindered progress.

No work "farmed out". A friend helped me with some of the wiring and a little with mechanical aspects. He's more capable at wiring than I am and I just needed an extra set of hands for some mechanical stuff.

From running car to running car it took about a week and a half... alot of downtime was due to parts being in the mail.

The mechanical part is really straight forward - as long as you can get through the wiring it's not at all difficult.

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,262 Posts
'91 EJ22T ---> '99 GF4 (Impreza L Sport Wagon)

What kind of garage?
Home garage

What took the longest?
Wiring (start to end of swap: 9months)

All work done by me except the wiring.

Take it away, guys.
It's so fast I BLEW 2nd gear today when I rolled into boost at 2500rpms. CRUNCH!!!!! Time to figure out a plan....

·
Wiring Guru
01 RS, 97 Ducati
355 Posts
2002 WRX into 2000 RS

What kind of garage?
Large work space with limited air tools

What took the longest?
Pulling and putting in the new engine.

Nope

Drove the car into the shop on Friday night. Drove it out on Saturday night. The actual swapping process took 1 day. I did about 85% of the work. All of the wiring I did. A few friends helped with the heavy work. I did a lot of home work beforehand and had all the parts that I needed on hand the day that I did the swap. I also did a prep work to the parts to make sure that everything was ready beforehand. I had allowed for an entire weekend but I got on a roll and kept hammering away at it until it ran. The car has run like a champ since this was done back in January of 2004.

It is worth every minute I spent on the project.

Zephyr

PM me if you've got any questions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts