Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My bud got a 2000 maxima, and dumped a buncha cash on it, I think he got all the exhaust pieces, B pype, P pype, Y pype, catback, muffler, Ignition system, some other crap.

Any way, any time we'd do 0-80 I'd take him from stand still or a roll on. His car is a 4speed Auto. My car 2000 impreza 5 sp

We were on a highway at around 60, and did 3 rusts up to around 100-110. I lost all 3 :( I'd be ahead of him till top of 4th, but as soon as i go to 5th, he'd just pass me.

Now, i had 2 things going against me,
1: my front O2 sensor was dead and CEL was on.
2: My AC was on full :eek:

Question:
with o2 fixed and ac off will i do better or still get beaten?
is there no hope for me on highway without getting headers and catback or more expencive toys? (i am saving up for a 02 sti engine)

·
Registered
14 Posts
At 12:00 noon, a small propeller plane leaves Chicago heading west with a velocity of 350 mph while a jetliner leaves L.A. simultaneously heading east at 500 mph. At what time will the two meet?

·
General pain in the ass
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
they'll meet in a flaming ball of metal scrap over my house at 9pm Moscow time

and that's assuming that they are traveling at constant speed, same hights, towards eachother and have not been jacked by terrorists

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
geez, the sad part is i've almost made that drive. it was St Louis to LA and we took the south route, but still. that's a long haul, especially when you break down in Needles, CA :rolleyes:

·
General pain in the ass
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i guess no one has a comment on 5th gear..

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
i think our cars suck at high speeds. it's pretty quick going from 0-50, but anything above that sucks! it's not 5th gear that sucks, it's the car.

·
General pain in the ass
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
and in your case it's the driver :flame:

actually my original quest with this thread was to find out if i can take him without AC and with working O2 ... I guess i'll have to try to find out. Dont expect him to be too anxtious to try that, currently he's happy that his car can take mine...at some point, i dont think he'd be willing to put his ego on a line again...

say, did you see soobie girlz post on my wrx race thread?

·
General pain in the ass
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
holy shit, you need some self esteem boosters...

go to www.uglypeople.com dont you feel better now?

·
General pain in the ass
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kindly scroll above to the map... it's been off topic since i started this pathetic excuse for a thread

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
well, anyways. i don't think you'll ever beat your friend on the freeway.

·
Registered
09 Legacy spec.B + 01 2.5RS
476 Posts
Run the numbers game, man

Maximas are pretty beefy up front, well over 200hp if I do recall.

I'm assuming by the fact you're on rs25.com you're in a 2000 2.5RS. Which means you're somewhere right around 165hp.

Add in the fact he's 2WD, so you don't have the loss of power through the differentials. This is slightly offset by his automatic, but not by much.

On top of that, the Impreza is a brick. The Maxima is probably a bit more aerodynamic. While this won't show as much while you're doing 0-60 with him, once you're up around 100mph, it will.

It's not your gearing, it's just a lack of power in general. You're not in a powerhorse with a 2.5RS, the best comparison I can give you is you're in a jeep with a sedan body.

Race him from 0-100 uphill on ice, see who wins that one. Or go take him out to a RallyCross..

Summary is, he's got more power, you're running in a straight line, unless you do some serious work under the hood (and i'm not talking new exhaust headers) he's gonna win. It's all in the type of race.

If you only wanted to run in straight lines, you should've bought a crustang, it's all they do well (until they fall apart of their own design, that is)

If you want to stick with the Impreza and run straight lines, and you're not worried about blowing things up, i'd suggest looking up forced induction. Specifically, see SubaruPlanet.com. Mr. Ganz's final-stage plans should be right on par with the kind of power you'll need to run the highway races.

I still say take him offroad though.

·
General pain in the ass
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Or go take him out to a RallyCross..
I am :devil: I am taking him,and another bud in 97 M3, I know i'll own them bad on the cource :D :D :D

here is what i have: a 95 body with completely no interior, any exhaust guards, or anything that's not wire, lowered 2 inches, good shoes.. under hood 2000 2.5 rs engine. I was thinking that's it's due to a weight difference that i can stay ahead of him, maximas are really heavy. And L is more airdynamic if i recall.

Thanx for the break down.

Any way, it's sad that I'll expect a loss next time we race :(

By the way, as far as forced goes, i am waiting till first 04 STI crashes on a test drive, so i can buy the goodies from isurance auction. 14$k power train for 3-4 at most

·
General pain in the ass
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
can i increase my top speed by swapping a wrx or a legacy final drive? Partially the loss of power in 5th is cause of the way car is geared not just lack of power... right?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
RotarFreak said:
can i increase my top speed by swapping a wrx or a legacy final drive? Partially the loss of power in 5th is cause of the way car is geared not just lack of power... right?
you can't hit the rev limiter in 5th gear stock, why would you want to make the gears taller and kill acceleration? the EJ25 is aniemic at high revs. of course, if someone with a honda saw me post that, they'd gently remind me that they havn't hit VTEC by the time I've hit the fuel cut ;) its a torquey motor, good for pulling out of gravel strewn corners, not so good for racing on the highway (sans turbo at any rate). if you want to feel better, go do a stop light race against your buddy and smoke him. or an auto-x. or a rally-x. the car isn't geared to play on the highway. when 100mph equals 5th gear, you have no chance since everyone else is in 3rd or maybe 4th ;)

·
General pain in the ass
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sad truth hurts :( Impreza sucks for speeding :(

I think i'll get a 2nd car... when i am done paying for thiso ne.

·
Premium Member
00RS 04STI
953 Posts
Hmmmm

Hey,

I've an 00RS and played with the revs to see if I could get some hups(Hp) in 5th; a little is there. I stay in 4th until 100mph(it'll cut off around 100-102) then hit 5th. It shoots up to 110-115. From here it goes to 130 decently. I'd like more top end.

May not be the fastest but I can take turns above 110mph without losing my butt.

Give me some feedback.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts