Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 BRP RS coupe
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a set of used '99 RS rims, but they are ridiculously dirty. I tried the standard soap/water, but this stuff is just stuck on there really good. So what kind of chemical do you all suggest that I use? I'm thinking either some good brake cleaner, but if anyone else has a better idea...

Thanks

·
Registered
01 BRP RS
131 Posts
a friend of mine used a few coats of paint stripper on his chrome 4x4 wheels. look like new after a few coats and some wax. don't know if it will hurt the aluminum wheels though.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Bug and tar remover should do the trick. Or maybe try that spray-on rim cleaner stuff.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
I use some cleaner made by Eagle One, and it worked well. Be sure to use a type of cleaner that is made SPECIFICALLY for your rims. There are different types - some rims are painted, so don't use paint remover! If you can tell, be sure and pick the right one for the wheel. If not, pick the one that says it is designed for all wheel types.

Of course, a pressure washer works well too, and some car washes have them nowadays and I find they work very well.

·
Registered
548 Posts
RS25.com said:
I use some cleaner made by Eagle One, and it worked well. Be sure to use a type of cleaner that is made SPECIFICALLY for your rims. There are different types - some rims are painted, so don't use paint remover! If you can tell, be sure and pick the right one for the wheel. If not, pick the one that says it is designed for all wheel types.

Of course, a pressure washer works well too, and some car washes have them nowadays and I find they work very well.
I have done the pressure washer at the car wash....it get's a lot of it off. Sometimes being patient and rewashing things will give you the best result.

·
Registered
2000 BRP RS coupe
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, I found out soaking them in soap and water seems to work too. But I don't have anything big enough to fit a rim into aside from my bathtub.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
just spray Simple Green all over em and let em sit...

later... scrub then rinse off...
should be like new ;)

jamie

·
Registered
3 Posts
bmw basket weave-style wheels are notorious for buildup and a real pain to get off. what we would do sometimes is spray them down with wheel cleaner, then scrub hard with a wash mit. :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts