Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My valve compressor finally came in and I thought putting them in the carburetor cleaning fluid bucket would do the trick... not. I planned on doing two at a time, one intake one exhaust. They have been soaking for almost two days and the carbon is still stuck to the stems. Even tried using the green scotchbrite. I need to get the stuff off without scoring the stems or the valve seats and the carburetor/parts cleaner can isn't doing jack. It worked miracles on the pistons though. ???? Is there anything better that would eat the carbon off?

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I use a wire wheel on a bench grinder. It doesn't hurt the valves and gets them spiffy in a jiffy!!!

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use a wire wheel on a bench grinder. It doesn't hurt the valves and gets them spiffy in a jiffy!!!
I might have to buy a wheel and put it on our grinder at work, as long as the bristles aren't hard on the stems.

put em in a bucket of gasoline.
Really? I would think soaking them in a bucket of carb cleaner would be way stronger than gasoline. I might try, but I almost feel guilty squandering gasoline, lol.

·
HERO DEEP!!!
Lt. Dan the 2000 OBS
756 Posts
With it at $4 a gallon I see your point, but when left to do its thing for a few days, gasoline will eat carbon up.

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
wire wheel. 100%

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,918 Posts
Well one one other thing to consider how many miles are on the valves? Is the seat area beat into them?

If that isnt the case get some sand paper or emery cloth and put it in a lathe if you have one or a drill press.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
have you seen shells commercials??? there gas is supposed to do the trick !!
Haha, they sell the additive at walmart fuel stations that supposedly cleans the valves like new! There is a picture on the gas pump of before and after. I actually used it three times in a row just in case it works, haha

·
Registered
94LSwagonswap OL WRX and
2,411 Posts
Walnut shells and some pressure.

Only old BMW techs would get that, hehe.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Walnut shells and some pressure.

Only old BMW techs would get that, hehe.
I actually used walnut shells a few times to blast sensitive parts when I was in aircraft mechanic school. I just don't have access to a machine that can use walnut shells. Believe me, BMW techs didn't invent that, lol.

·
ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
5,223 Posts
New valve guides will keep the problem from returning. ;)

·
Registered
94LSwagonswap OL WRX and
2,411 Posts
I actually used walnut shells a few times to blast sensitive parts when I was in aircraft mechanic school. I just don't have access to a machine that can use walnut shells. Believe me, BMW techs didn't invent that, lol.
I wasnt saying that BMW invented that. The topic is how to get carbon off of valves.

This was a technique used on one of the older 7 series in order for BMW not to replace a ton of motors back in the 80's. It was actually a certified repair, haha.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
New valve guides will keep the problem from returning. ;)
There is nothing wrong with the guides. The carbon is near the head end of th valves. Just excess fuel buildup over a period of 43k miles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts