Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
Just like the title, can you plz give me a step by step on how to do it?

Thank You
sure since im in a good mood...lol.

loosen axle nut with tire on the ground
jack up car and take off the wheel/axle nut.
punch out the pin in the axle, near were it meets with the tranny
remove the bolt/codder pin of the ball joint
hit it with a hammer if its stuck and it should come loose and you can move it down
now you can take the axle out. and put it back in the same way you took it out. just remember to line up the pin hole!
now... when your putting the nut on the ball joint on the bottom. if you see the ball joint spinning when u tighten the bolt, jack up the arm on the ball joint. you just need to but some weight on the ball joint so it doesnt spin.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sure since im in a good mood...lol.

loosen axle nut with tire on the ground
jack up car and take off the wheel/axle nut.
punch out the pin in the axle, near were it meets with the tranny
remove the bolt/codder pin of the ball joint
hit it with a hammer if its stuck and it should come loose and you can move it down
now you can take the axle out. and put it back in the same way you took it out. just remember to line up the pin hole!
now... when your putting the nut on the ball joint on the bottom. if you see the ball joint spinning when u tighten the bolt, jack up the arm on the ball joint. you just need to but some weight on the ball joint so it doesnt spin.

Can i take the strut off the hub to replace my axle instead? I am afraid to wreck something doing the ball joint.

By removing the strut though, how do i mark the bolts so they go on the exact same way? I don't want my alignment off.

Thank You

·
Registered
Bugeye and STiL
587 Posts
Can i take the strut off the hub to replace my axle instead? I am afraid to wreck something doing the ball joint.

By removing the strut though, how do i mark the bolts so they go on the exact same way? I don't want my alignment off.

Thank You
if you only remove the strut you might not have enough room and still have to remove the ball joint anyway! removing the ball joint is WAAAAY easier than removing the strut and it wont mess up your alignment....
trust me ive done a few, i can change a front hub on my wrx in under 20 minutes...

·
Registered
2001 RS 2.5
640 Posts
re: route69L

on my 01 RS when I swapped trans I just dropped the knuckle off of the stut and pushed the hub down and the axle slid out of the trans. Did the opposite getting the new trans back in. I will give it a shot next time (hopefully there wont be one. lol)

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The stut way was so easy guy's thank you. The only real effort in doing the axle was the pin at the tranny side.

I did the job to hopefully to get rid of a vibration. The end result was it did not rid the vibration. So I switched the axle back to the OEM one and brought it back for my refund.

If anyone has idea's on what it could be let me know.

My brakes are from an 07 WRX and I had the turned before the job, new wheels and tires (balanced) then an alignment.

·
Registered
02' PSM WRX
1,535 Posts
when is the car vibrating? all the time? what speed? during braking? around corners?

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you can start feeling the vibration creeping up around 70KPh al the way up. 95 % of the time. When I jab the brake quickly at Highway speeds it goes then comes back. When I apply the brakes at highway speed it vibrates more sometimes and less other times??????

I not sure what to do next???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts