Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the car for 3 weeks now and am still trying to figure out how to work the automatic transmission. In my 92 jeep cherokee I could let up slightly and then push down (not stomping) and I could force a downshift. This car doesnt seem to respond to that. And I really dont like to stomp it to the floor to downshift!

I read somewhere that if I am in D rather than 1,2, or 3 that the transmission will auto downshift if I slow down to kind of brake the car if I was on a hill or something.

Could someone please describe how this transmission works, and how I can control it!!!!!!

2001 Impreza 2.5RS

Luke

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
another question also.

Another question also about this automatic. Do I have to let up on the gas if I am manually shifting it between gears? or do I just stay on it and more the shifter?

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
yes,....just move the shifter. there's no need to let up on the gas. you will want to shift it manually at about 6k rpm's so you don't hit the limiter, becasue it takes the tranny brain a moment to notice you moved the shifter. i don't know why you have to stomp it to the floor to get it to downshift, mine shifts about halfway down to the floor. but then,...i have a really heavy foot so i may just be talking out my ass.:)

-brian

·
Registered
MY05 WRX
27 Posts
I'm still stuck with the auto... Its depressing. Stick shift FTW. Congrats George.

On topic I just press the gas pedal down about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and let back up and it will have downshifted without racing the engine super hard. Also downshifts on its own when slowing down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts